I'm new to this forum, but not to chess.

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Ian Paternoster

I'm new to this forum, but not to chess.

Post by Ian Paternoster » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:59 pm

I used to play club chess forty years ago. I recently started playing again to keep my mind active. I have a rating between 1000 and 1500.
I tried to play online chess, however I discovered there is a fair amount of cheating going on. Mainly because you don't know if they are using a computer to help them. It's very frustrating.

Roger de Coverly

Re: I'm new to this forum, but not to chess.

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:30 pm

Ian Paternoster wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:59 pm
I tried to play online chess, however I discovered there is a fair amount of cheating going on. Mainly because you don't know if they are using a computer to help them. It's very frustrating.
Do you play at Blitz move rates? Five minutes for the whole game or equivalent with increments is a bit fast to be checking moves on an engine as well as playing. If opponents play well, that can sometimes feel as if they are using assistance. lichess and chess.com claim to be hot on engine usage but exact details of how they do this is a guarded secret.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:47 am

Ian Paternoster wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:59 pm
I have never understood why anyone who is not playing at a serious competitive level would care. It's still a game of chess.

If your anonymous opponent is playing to a 1600 standard, why does it matter whether they are really 1600 or are really 600 and augmenting their play? If the latter, why not 2600, which is just as easily achieved?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Ian Paternoster

Post by Ian Paternoster » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:48 am

I've tried blitz chess, however as I get older, I need a bit longer to think. I prefer friendly games and less challenging games. I'm quite good in endgame situations and read several books on endgame theory.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:04 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:47 am
If your anonymous opponent is playing to a 1600 standard, why does it matter whether they are really 1600 or are really 600 and augmenting their play? If the latter, why not 2600, which is just as easily achieved?

With unsophisticated cheating the lower ratings might be all that's attainable. Like the guy who confessed in a national newspaper to using an engine whilst playing to help him survive and learn openings.

It's known that an assessment of 100% accuracy is attainable if one player goes badly wrong in the opening and the winning moves are obvious and forcing.

Ian Paternoster

Post by Ian Paternoster » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:55 am

Why do people cheat? Surely they are only cheating themselves. I'm not a bad looser, but if someone is cheating it just rankles with me.