Clock Bangers

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Moore

Re: Clock Bangers

Post by John Moore » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:04 pm

Derek, have you ever played with digital clocks?

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:21 am

John Upham wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:12 pm
Ian Paternoster wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:53 pm
I was in a tournament once, where the player opposite me punched his clock before moving his piece. I mentioned the incident to the captain, only to be told, get on with the game and stop moaning.
You would be well within your rights to claim an illegal move penalty since pressing the timer without making an actual move would incur such a penalty.
I could be wrong, and if so I'm sure one of our expert arbiters will correct me, but I don't think that "pressing the timer without making an actual move" constitutes an illegal move. Hence there's no "illegal move penalty" although an arbiter may decide to penalise under law 12.9.

Ian Paternoster

Post by Ian Paternoster » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:03 am

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:21 am
John Upham wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:12 pm
Ian Paternoster wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:53 pm
I was in a tournament once, where the player opposite me punched his clock before moving his piece. I mentioned the incident to the captain, only to be told, get on with the game and stop moaning.
You would be well within your rights to claim an illegal move penalty since pressing the timer without making an actual move would incur such a penalty.
I could be wrong, and if so I'm sure one of our expert arbiters will correct me, but I don't think that "pressing the timer without making an actual move" constitutes an illegal move. Hence there's no "illegal move penalty" although an arbiter may decide to penalise under law 12.9.
I went on to win the match. The club captain was weak at making decisions, and was one reason I gave up chess for over 20 years. My recent resurgence in chess is mainly due to being Semi-retired and wanting to keep my brain cells active.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:16 am

Roger Lancaster wrote:
I could be wrong, ..., but I don't think that "pressing the timer without making an actual move" constitutes an illegal move.
You are! It is an illegal move.
See 7.5.3 and 7.5.5 in the Laws of Chess

Can you tell I've just done the first FIDE IA Seminar?

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:59 am

Alex McFarlane wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:16 am
Roger Lancaster wrote:
I could be wrong, ..., but I don't think that "pressing the timer without making an actual move" constitutes an illegal move.
You are! It is an illegal move.
See 7.5.3 and 7.5.5 in the Laws of Chess

Can you tell I've just done the first FIDE IA Seminar?
I stand corrected. Am I right in believing that those are relatively new laws, perhaps introduced in the 1/1/2023 revision?

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:05 am

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:59 am
Am I right in believing that those are relatively new laws, perhaps introduced in the 1/1/2023 revision?
0/2 I'm afraid. This is the third version of the Laws that it has appeared in.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:15 am

Roger Lancaster wrote:
I could be wrong, and if so I'm sure one of our expert arbiters will correct me,
Recently I have been informed by the ECF that they wish to elevate my arbiter status to Level 2.

I'm not sure if that constitutes being one of Michael Gove's experts (of which there are too many according to the Levelling Down secretary) but I do keep myself availed of law changes rather than speculating. Of course, you weren't to know that.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Derek Sinclair

Post by Derek Sinclair » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:30 pm

John Moore wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:04 pm
Derek, have you ever played with digital clocks?
Yes in league matches and they are fine except that they are annoying to set up . After 34 moves it's supposed to add on the extra time but I don't think it adds it until the first lot has run out. (1.25 mins for 34 moves then 20 added). If someone say forgets to press their clock and we move on 2 moves then the clock will still think it's a move behind.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:32 pm

John Upham wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:15 am
Roger Lancaster wrote:
I could be wrong, and if so I'm sure one of our expert arbiters will correct me,
Recently I have been informed by the ECF that they wish to elevate my arbiter status to Level 2.

I'm not sure if that constitutes being one of Michael Gove's experts (of which there are too many according to the Levelling Down secretary) but I do keep myself availed of law changes rather than speculating. Of course, you weren't to know that.
I'm sure you're an admirable arbiter, John. A month ago, when the subject was covered on this forum and reference made to https://en.chessbase.com/post/illegal-m ... gularities. I seem to have known the correct answer so I'll put my incompetence here down to incipient old age. Variation not covered in the ChessBase piece - your opponent is away from the board with his clock running when his neighbour, forgetting which clock is which, makes a move and stops your opponent's clock in error. With your clock now running, what's the correct course?
(Lol, I think I know the answer but would hate to be accused again of speculation!).

Derek Sinclair

Post by Derek Sinclair » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:49 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:32 pm
John Upham wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:15 am
Roger Lancaster wrote:

I'm sure you're an admirable arbiter, John. A month ago, when the subject was covered on this forum and reference made to https://en.chessbase.com/post/illegal-m ... gularities. I seem to have known the correct answer so I'll put my incompetence here down to incipient old age. Variation not covered in the ChessBase piece - your opponent is away from the board with his clock running when his neighbour, forgetting which clock is which, makes a move and stops your opponent's clock in error. With your clock now running, what's the correct course?
(Lol, I think I know the answer but would hate to be accused again of speculation!).
everyone involved is given a dry slap.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:44 pm

Derek Sinclair wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:49 pm
everyone involved is given a dry slap.
Rather like this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8XeDvKqI4E
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:52 pm

Derek Sinclair wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:30 pm
After 34 moves it's supposed to add on the extra time but I don't think it adds it until the first lot has run out. (1.25 mins for 34 moves then 20 added).
If you read the manual carefully, it can be done to add the time at the right move count for the DGT 2010 model anyway. Arbiters don't like doing it that way because of the hazard of extra or missed clock presses. It's not helped that whilst the clock always knows how many times the counter has been pressed, it doesn't display it.

As a consequence, many leagues have switched either to move rates of "all moves in half the session time" or some version of initial time plus increment. 80 minutes plus 10 seconds a move is quite popular.

Derek Sinclair

Post by Derek Sinclair » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:45 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:52 pm
Derek Sinclair wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:30 pm
After 34 moves it's supposed to add on the extra time but I don't think it adds it until the first lot has run out. (1.25 mins for 34 moves then 20 added).
If you read the manual carefully, it can be done to add the time at the right move count for the DGT 2010 model anyway. Arbiters don't like doing it that way because of the hazard of extra or missed clock presses. It's not helped that whilst the clock always knows how many times the counter has been pressed, it doesn't display it.

As a consequence, many leagues have switched either to move rates of "all moves in half the session time" or some version of initial time plus increment. 80 minutes plus 10 seconds a move is quite popular.

I won't be the only one messing with the clock in my league match. I'll just turn up as normal and use the clock same as everyone else. Not worth the effort

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:47 pm

Derek Sinclair wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:45 pm
I won't be the only one messing with the clock in my league match. I'll just turn up as normal and use the clock same as everyone else. Not worth the effort
It's the club secretary or match captain that would set up the clocks for the season. Once set, they stay that way. Mind you it could be a headache if you play in two leagues each with non standard rates in the eyes of DGT.

Derek Sinclair

Post by Derek Sinclair » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:36 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:47 pm
Derek Sinclair wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:45 pm
It's the club secretary or match captain that would set up the clocks for the season. Once set, they stay that way. Mind you it could be a headache if you play in two leagues each with non standard rates in the eyes of DGT.
6 clocks per match, about 8 matches per season, 1st team and 2nd team. Everyone is doing the clocks in this way, can't exactly rock the boat when I turn up 5-10 mins before the league match is about to start. Just going to have to let it be.