Clock Bangers

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger de Coverly

Re: Clock Bangers

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:41 pm

Derek Sinclair wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:36 pm
[ 1st team and 2nd team. Everyone is doing the clocks in this way, can't exactly rock the boat when I turn up 5-10 mins before the league match is about to start. Just going to have to let it be.
You set all the clocks before the season even starts. On the night you just switch them on and check the preset code is correct. Locally we use 80 minutes with 10 second increments. That's setting 18 in DGT 2010 but once set, they stay set to that rate.

Derek Sinclair

Post by Derek Sinclair » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:29 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:41 pm
Derek Sinclair wrote:
[ 1st team and 2nd team. Everyone is doing the clocks in this way, can't exactly rock the boat when I turn up 5-10 mins before the league match is about to start. Just going to have to let it be.
You set all the clocks before the season even starts. On the night you just switch them on and check the preset code is correct. Locally we use 80 minutes with 10 second increments. That's setting 18 in DGT 2010 but once set, they stay set to that rate.
The clocks need set every game when they come out of the box cold

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:04 pm

Derek Sinclair wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:29 pm
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:41 pm
Derek Sinclair wrote:
The clocks need set every game when they come out of the box cold
Incorrect. Once a time control has been programmed into a DGT 2010 or such like, it will then recall that setting when turned on from hot or cold or even lukewarm.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Derek Sinclair

Post by Derek Sinclair » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:06 pm

Just a good example of how sometimes new tech is not better than an older way.
Look at VAR and how it has ruined football in just a few short years.

Things such as a cup draw like the FA cup live on TV. It's vital that they are done by hand even though a computer could come up with the draw quickly. We need to keep things like that. Wouldn't want big ben or any other clock tower to be a big digital clock.

Most of the time the new thing IS usually better though, things like Flat Screen TV better than curved tube ones, broadband better than dial up, vaping better than smoking etc.. Just not always the case.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:49 pm

Derek Sinclair wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:45 pm
I won't be the only one messing with the clock in my league match. I'll just turn up as normal and use the clock same as everyone else. Not worth the effort
Derek,

The ECF rating database has no knowledge of yourself in its current incarnation. Presumably your most recent league match was prior to 1994.

The September 2020 ECF Master List (I have nothing more recent) is also suffering from a similar bout of amnesia.

What year was your most recent ECF or BCF rated or graded game?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:09 am

John Upham wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:49 pm
The ECF rating database has no knowledge of yourself in its current incarnation. Presumably your most recent league match was prior to 1994.
I believe he plays in Scottish league chess.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:22 am

Derek - I feel this is a battle you are not going to win mate :lol:

For what its worth I have no particular objection to using analogue clocks, though the future is very much set and it has a digital face and 40 separate time control settings.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:31 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:09 am
John Upham wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:49 pm
I believe he plays in Scottish league chess.
I attempted to use

https://www.chessscotland.com/grading/search-players/

and found no Sinclairs with the forename of Derek.

There was a Dean and an Edmond but nothing in between.

The WCU web site was horribly slow and cumbersome so I gave up with it.

Not tried crossing the Irish Sea.

Derek Sinclair

Post by Derek Sinclair » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:23 am

oh my, why are you checking up on me lol? Doesn't really matter, just giving my point of view on the clocks since there are no increments and I don't like using them. Can't be the only one that doesn't like them that much or can't be bothered with things like batteries.

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:50 pm

Derek Sinclair wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:23 am
just giving my point of view on the clocks since there are no increments and I don't like using them.
So you believe it is preferable for someone to win by moving faster than their opponent, rather than by making better moves?

Derek Sinclair

Post by Derek Sinclair » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:45 am

Reg Clucas wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:50 pm
Derek Sinclair wrote:
just giving my point of view on the clocks since there are no increments and I don't like using them.
So you believe it is preferable for someone to win by moving faster than their opponent, rather than by making better moves?
What do you mean? Both things are part of the game regardless of the type of clock used. :(

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:01 pm

Derek Sinclair wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:45 am
Reg Clucas wrote:
Derek Sinclair wrote:
What do you mean? Both things are part of the game regardless of the type of clock used. :(
Surely it was accepted decades ago that winning on time in a quickplay finish from a position where there was no prospect of winning on the board was not an acceptable way to decide the result of a game. If not, there would have been no need to allow draw claims arising from "cannot win by normal means" and "no effort to win by normal means" rules.

I suppose another disadvantage of digital clocks is that you can't have arguments about whether such draw claims should be upheld or not, and players can't claim they were robbed when the arbiter made the wrong decision.

Derek Sinclair

Post by Derek Sinclair » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:09 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:01 pm
Derek Sinclair wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:45 am
Reg Clucas wrote:

Surely it was accepted decades ago that winning on time in a quickplay finish from a position where there was no prospect of winning on the board was not an acceptable way to decide the result of a game. If not, there would have been no need to allow draw claims arising from "cannot win by normal means" and "no effort to win by normal means" rules.

I suppose another disadvantage of digital clocks is that you can't have arguments about whether such draw claims should be upheld or not, and players can't claim they were robbed when the arbiter made the wrong decision.
So you mean increment stop things like that happening? My point was about using digital clocks when there are no increments. I do agree, and actually quite like, increments on the clock.

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:20 pm

Derek Sinclair wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:09 pm
So you mean increment stop things like that happening? My point was about using digital clocks when there are no increments. I do agree, and actually quite like, increments on the clock.
Fair enough. I guess the only advantage of using digital clocks without increments is the fact that they are more accurate. But the ability to use increments is a more important feature.

Derek Sinclair

Post by Derek Sinclair » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:25 pm

Reg Clucas wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:20 pm
Derek Sinclair wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:09 pm
Fair enough. I guess the only advantage of using digital clocks without increments is the fact that they are more accurate. But the ability to use increments is a more important feature.
Like I said, I think the analogue ones are accurate enough and are the same for both people. The flag being pushed up is a really cool and simple design and nice and clear when it falls.