The going rate

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
MJMcCready

The going rate

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:02 pm

Apologies for asking but I have been abroad for 24 years but what is the going rate for tournaments in the UK these days?

1 day quickplay average price?

5-6 Round Weekend event average price?

Major event (Hastings, British championships)?

Abroad prices seem to have risen to 50-100 pounds for classical chess events is that in line with the UK now?

Richard Thursby

Re: The going rate

Post by Richard Thursby » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:46 pm

Feel free to peruse the numbers here https://www.englishchess.org.uk/event-calendar/ but a quick straw poll, London(ish)-centric.

£30 easily.
£40 as a ballpark/starting point, assuming you have the required ECF membership category.
Last year the most expensive British Championship fee was £300 (or £375 if late). Highest Hastings Masters fee was £140.

Anecdotal evidence from my own experience, cumulative inflation is in the region of 50 to 100 percent over a period of 10 to 20 years. When I was playing regularly, rapidplay entry fees were normally £15-£20.

Roger Lancaster

Re: The going rate

Post by Roger Lancaster » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:47 pm

Probably worthwhile adding that, to some extent, you get what you pay for. An event with decent prizes and a good (ample space, adequate lighting and heating, analysis room, etc) and easily accessible venue is likely to charge more than an event with lesser prizes and a sub-par but cheaper venue. Similarly, an event with too few arbiters/stewards may charge less but be less well run - those, and a couple of other factors, mean it's hard to talk of a single "going rate".