What should the arbiter do??

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
J. Moore

What should the arbiter do??

Post by J. Moore » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:10 pm

Recently I witnessed a game which i found very strange. Both players were very short of time, less than 30 seconds each left on the clock to complete the game, as you would expect an arbiter was watching the game. One of the players made two illegal moves in a very short space of time, but no action was taken, however the player who made the illegal moves then won on time. What are the rules in this situation and what should the arbiter have done?

IM Jack Rudd

Re: What should the arbiter do??

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:14 pm

The arbiter is required to give the opponent of the player who made the illegal moves two extra minutes for each of the illegal moves, although the rules do not specify exactly when he must do this (however, it is usual for them to be given at the time of the incident). In addition, the player who made the illegal move must retract it and make a legal move with the touched piece.

J. Moore

Post by J. Moore » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:25 pm

Thanks for that Jack, but it seems to me when the "pressure" is on the arbiter to act, nothing really happens, as I saw another incident at a congress last month, when a player made an illegal move and the arbiter just stood and watched. Now I know you are an arbiter, can you help explain why nothing would be done?

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:36 pm

The arbiter may delay awarding the two minutes if he feels that awarding it at the time would help the transgressor more than his opponent (which is entirely possible in a time-scramble). Other than that, I don't know why an arbiter would just stand and watch.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:20 pm

It depends on the type of game. Was this standard play, rapid play or blitz?

J. Moore

Post by J. Moore » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:41 pm

Both games I have mentioned were standard play

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:47 pm

Bizarre. If they had been rapid play then the arbiter is not allowed to intervene but, if it was standard play I can't explain it

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:33 pm

Maybe worth asking the arbiter involved?!

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:32 am

Some arbiters are not strong players - so (s)he may not have noticed the moves were illegal, or may have been watching the flags, not the board!
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

J. Moore

Post by J. Moore » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:15 am

In both games the arbiters did notice that there had been illegal moves made, I could tell by their facial reactions. It just seems to me that they both "bottled" it!