SAITEK CLOCK WARNING

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Alex McFarlane

SAITEK CLOCK WARNING

Post by Alex McFarlane » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:03 pm

Whilst acting as an arbiter at a recent event I discovered a problem with the Saitek Competition Pro clock. If Black, on the last move of the time control, makes his move as the clock reaches zero instead of registering a loss for that player the clock adds on the additional time, not even registering the fact that Blacks flag fell first.

To my mind this is a fatal flaw in the clocks and means that they are not fit for purpose. This is particularlly true in a league match where no arbiter is present. It is also the case that in a congress where a player runs out of time before the recognised time scramble time or where there are a number of time scrambles an arbiter may not notice the fault.

I have since discovered that this fault was reported to Saitek previously when it occurred on the Competition model. I again reported it to them and pointed out that I would like to hear their response so that I could publish that along with my warning. The 14 days I gave for that reply has now expired. I have not even had an acknowledgement.

Obviously it is up to clubs and individuals as to what action they take but my advice would be to return any clocks of the two models indicated saying that they are not fit for purpose for the reason stated and request a refund.

I would certainly not buy either model of clock. I would also suggest that the lack of a reply to myself and the other arbiter does not reflect well on the company and perhaps could be seen as giving an indication of the level of service that it will provide.

Alex McFarlane

Re: SAITEK CLOCK WARNING

Post by Alex McFarlane » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:53 am

From Andy Howie the Chess Scotland FIDE delegate

"I have an update!

I mailed the FIDE office and ECU office, copying in Saitek Tech Support asking for an alert to be passed out to all Arbiters and Federations world wide. Would you belive that both FIDE and Saitek have replied in less that 12 hours since I sent the mail! Must be an election year...

Ok FIDE are referring to the Arbiters commission (I did add the head of the commision on the mail....). Saitek have acknowledged there is a problem, were able to replicate the issue and to quote the mail I have from them "In terms of corrective action, we will look to improve the firmware to make sure ‘MOVE’ is permanently displayed."

The $1,000,000 question is how we update the firmware.... "

I haven't seen the Saitek reply yet, but it doesn't look from the quote that they are tackling the main problem.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:08 pm

I am pleased to say that the pre and post sales service of DGT is excellent. Our club has recently purchased a number of DGT 2010 clocks and I have a personal DGT XL which I take to home and away matches. :D

DGT have been very good indeed.

I am hoping to send all of our Garde clocks for cremation at the earliest opportunity. I don't want to give unwanted analogue clocks to local schools (before anyone suggests it) as I wish to see them crushed. :lol:
Last edited by John Upham on Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:31 pm

Alex McFarlane wrote:FIDE are referring to the Arbiters' Commission.
Thank you for the information. I'm a member of the FIDE Arbiters' Commission, but owing to other commitments I won't be able to attend the meeting of the Commission at the FIDE Congress in Khanty-Mansisyk.

I shall nevertheless try to ensure, unless the matter is sorted out beforehand, it is taken forward at that meeting. I'll contact you and Andy Howie privately about this.

Speaking purely personally, when clubs and organisations ask my opinion, I always recommend them to buy DGTs. They are more expensive than other models, but they're worth the extra money in my view.

James Toon

Post by James Toon » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:43 pm

The Athenaeum Chess Club uses the Saitek Competition Pro clocks in the London League, having bought them on my recommendation a few years ago. Also, one of the leagues I play in is thinking of buying some digital clocks, and this model is among the options, because it seems to be fully-featured and is much cheaper than the DGT clocks.

So I would be interested to know more about the problem. For example:
(a) what time is showing on the relevant clock at the moment the lever is pressed to complete the move? Is it 00:00? My experience of this model is that when one clock reaches 00:00, both clocks immediately start flashing to show that the set number of moves has not been made.
(b) Is the added time given at the start or the end of the move? I assume the latter, from the original post. My recollection is that the model allows either option for a Fischer setting, but only time added after for a Bronstein setting.

Given that the problem is in relation to added time, is the Saitek clock still suitable for use in blitz, rapidplay and other single-session games?

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:15 am

Why is this thread in the "Admin|News & Support" forum. Should it not be in general?

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:50 am

This topics appears to be FOUR YEARS OLD!

Why is it being resurrected now?

Has there been any resolution of this alleged problem or any other progress?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:31 am

Alex McFarlane wrote:From Andy Howie the Chess Scotland FIDE delegate

Must be an election year...
Ok FIDE are referring to the Arbiters commission
Why not the Technical Commission? It seems to me that they do clocks, and not much else! You should take the opportunity to go to their meeting in Tromso.

I'm disappointed that you have had poor service from the FIDE staff when an election is not looming. Whatever you may think of the FIDE politicians, I have found the Elista office efficient and professional at all times, irrespective of the election timetable.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Dewi Jones

Post by Dewi Jones » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:49 pm

I'm pretty certain the saitek clocks are all discontinued. So I should imagine "updating the firmwear" proved too difficult.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:21 am

The Saitek clock has never worked according to the FIDE Laws.
Dirk Jordan told me yesterday a new edition of the Silver Clock will be coming out shortly. He said that his clock wins hands down againt DGT on price.
DGT are also going to be issuing anther digital clock.

Andy Howie

Post by Andy Howie » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:45 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Alex McFarlane wrote:From Andy Howie the Chess Scotland FIDE delegate

Must be an election year...
Ok FIDE are referring to the Arbiters commission
Why not the Technical Commission? It seems to me that they do clocks, and not much else! You should take the opportunity to go to their meeting in Tromso.

I'm disappointed that you have had poor service from the FIDE staff when an election is not looming. Whatever you may think of the FIDE politicians, I have found the Elista office efficient and professional at all times, irrespective of the election timetable.
Nick that post is 4 years old!