Working ones grade- prize winners

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Charles W. Wood

Re: Working ones grade- prize winners

Post by Charles W. Wood » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:08 am

They're called "Sharks"! :roll:

It happens everywhere: Pool, Snooker, Golf, Bridge, in fact any sport/game where money is on offer and there are skill levels or handicap systems in place.

Sadly for the answer to this killer question is: "Know thy Enemy" unless someone has come up with any thing better. :evil:

The only possible answer I've ever seen was averaging grades over 6 years but then developing players get a lower grade. :?
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

Chris Majer

Post by Chris Majer » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:04 pm

Ernie Lazenby writes:
It seems to me this is something that the ECF should be looking at because sharp practices like this does not help the image of the game.
No names no pack drill as they say but up north
The trouble is that no names/no complaints = no action. I don't think anyone has formally complained to me about an alleged shark in recent times. I also think that the number of sharks is overstated. I remember looking at the record of one player after a rumour reached me of grade manipulation. When I looked at that player's record, there was no evidence of grade manipulation.

Any congress has the right to refuse entrees or to transfer players to another section provided they put this on their entry forms. So if the congress organisers up north think they know who the Sharks are, why do they need me to do anything? Conversely, I'm not clear what action the ECF can be expected to do. The ECF has no jurisdiction over congresses and so cannot ban players. Hypothetically one could put a shark symbol in the grading list. But I'm not sure the ECF could ever prove it sufficiently to win a lawsuit from a defamed chess player. Finally, the number of games/seasons to be used in calculating someone’s grade has to be based on principles applied consistently to all players and those principles should be derived from the statistics of trying to predict player strength not dealing with alleged sharks.
Chris Majer
ECF Chief Executive

Chris Majer

Post by Chris Majer » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:24 pm

Eric writes:
Chris from whom would you want a complaint to come, congress director, players in the particualr section or anyone who feels that apparant sharp practices does little to help our game?
I don't think I'm want any complaints. However, if one has to come it should come from the congress on the basis that the congress should be impartial.
there is no court in the land going to bother with a libel action from someone who is identified as being a possible grade manipulator.

That's a viewpoint that I wouldn't want to put to the test!
Chris Majer
ECF Chief Executive

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:24 pm

One way to discourage grade manipulators would be for the ECF to encourage organisers to prohibit the entry of a certain generic type of entrant. This is of players who have won one(two) minor in the previous 12 (6) months. This has no appearance of discriminating against anybody.
It would be unfair on players who typically perform 30-40 points above or below their grade. Unlucky.

Another important way is to have events with varying grade limits. To have limits of 175, 150, 125, 100 throughout England for most events is clearly not in the interests of most players.

Of course having only one grading list a year exacerbates all problems including popularising the game. I estimate 10-20% more chess would be played if there were four grading lists per year, as with FIDE.

The greatest problem in Gibraltar was with the Challengers for players Rated under 2250. A Russian IM hadn't played for 18 months. Prior to that he had precipitously lost about 150 Rating Points in rather few games. He won't be allowed in the Challengers next year.

Stewart Reuben

Chris Majer

Post by Chris Majer » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:03 pm

Ernie wrote
Excuse me but what exactly is your job description? just curious because I would have thought dealing with complaints falls within your remit. Why do we bother with directors/managers or whatever if a straight forawrd issue as i have outlined canot be looked at.
you can find the responsibilities of all ECF Directors and Managers at:
http://www.englishchess.org.uk/organisa ... lities.htm

I will deal with any complaints that anybody cares to raise. However, as I've already stated I don't think anyone has formally complained to me about an alleged shark in recent times. I can only act on evidence.

More frequent grading lists would of course help to address the problem. But ECF council decided that they didn't want that for standardplay.
Chris Majer
ECF Chief Executive