Famous amateurs and FIDE ratings

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
David Sedgwick

Re: Famous amateurs and FIDE ratings

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:37 am

Gareth Harley-Yeo wrote:Lembit Opik (LibDem MP)
Two years and three months out of date, I'm afraid.

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:27 am

There is a photograph of Fabio Capello in the playing hall at the Olympiad web site (about halfway down the page).

There is no further information. I cannot find anything online linking Capello to chess.Pure speculation: as coach of the Russian football team he may have been invited by the Russian Chess Federation.

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:18 pm

There's a separate article about Capello's visit now. He was in Istanbul to watch Fenerbahçe versus Spartak Moscow and decided to take in the Olympiad beforehand.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:55 pm

Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote:The boxer Terry Marsh was often described as "former London junior chess champion" (anyone have any details about that?).
Just resurrecting this old query. What, if anything, did Terry Marsh win at chess?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Chris Goddard

Post by Chris Goddard » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:52 pm

I suppose Adam Hart-Davies the TV presenter deserves a mention here. He was a regular at the Scarborough Congress for a while. I think he was about 150 BCF. I played him once and he wore a stetson during the game!

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:27 pm

Chris Goddard wrote:I suppose Adam Hart-Davies the TV presenter deserves a mention here. He was a regular at the Scarborough Congress for a while. I think he was about 150 BCF. I played him once and he wore a stetson during the game!
He gets mentioned a time or two in connection with chess in the Lyttelton Hart-Davis Letters. Played for Eton in only his first year there and " .... was defeated by an elderly lady in a basement off High Street Kensington".
(And according to George Lyttelton " .... the school chess cup is the largest at Eton, presented by some fanatic". Anyone know anything more of this?)
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)