Chess on TV

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Carl Hibbard

Re: Karpov v Spassky

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:21 am

Ernie Lazenby wrote:I have a video from the early 1980's. BBC 2 Master Game series.

Karpov v Spassky - Kings Gambit. Bill Harston trying to understand what was going on. I am going to transfer it to CD but dont know how to put it on line- if anyones has a webb site and knows how to do it then I am willing to send a copy.
I am happy to put it here if you can check and confirm the copyright status of doing such a thing?

Anyone know?

Cheers
Carl

Bill Wilson

Re: Karpov v Spassky

Post by Bill Wilson » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:36 am

Carl Hibbard wrote: I am happy to put it here if you can check and confirm the copyright status of doing such a thing?
I've emailed the bbc yesterday to find out more about this.

Mike Creaney

Post by Mike Creaney » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:30 am

Since the Master Game Series (or before if any existed)
how many programmes on chess either on terrestial or sky can anyone remember ? ( excluding films obviously )

Gavin Strachan

Chess TV

Post by Gavin Strachan » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:15 pm

I remember a series which was run in the late 80's I can't remember what it was called, but one episode was about Matthew Sadler (I think the series was about gifted children or on those sorts of lines!) when he was at school. It was for children's tv and was on the BBC.

Going back slightly to my original posting, it is quite inconceivable that there are so many tv channels on sky, some of which are really cheap and nasty, no chess or boardgames. There must be one entrepreneur with a bit of money who loves chess and either knows someone in tv or is in it themselves and can get something on the abovelines going. Seems crazy to me!

Kevin D Plant

Post by Kevin D Plant » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:21 am

Source: English Chess Federation
Is this the way of the future? A TV-program about chess, aired on local channels in Sweden as well as on the Internet. A new episode is produced every week and the result can be seen at http://www.worldchessnews.com/: in Swedish with English subtitles
The more you learn, the less you know...
http://www.cumnorchessclub.com

Kevin D Plant

Susan Polgar On ch 5

Post by Kevin D Plant » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:47 pm

monday 16th July at 9pm channel 5 as part of its 'My Brilliant Brain' series is looking at Susan Polgar and the way she was trained to be a grand master.
The more you learn, the less you know...
http://www.cumnorchessclub.com

Stewart Reuben

chess on tv

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:35 am

If you seriously want chess on tv get 1000 people to write in independently to the stations asking for it. That would do the trick.
Master Game lasted 1977-1983. I have only some of 1980, all of 1981 and most of 1982. If anybody is able to help that would be immensely helpful.
http://www.englishchess.org.uk/articles ... _mar03.htm is where you will find an out-of-date list of the material I have of broadcast and movie material on chess in English. I have about 150 hours and eventually it will be possible to access this at the National chess Library in Hastings university.
look at http://www.chessondvd.com/ to see the commercially available material for sale, including many of the GM Video programmes.
It would also be useful to get all of the 1986 material. This would be good to republish and Impala could do that with no problem.
But for example, I am missing the first game of the London Docklands Speed Match between Kasparov and Short. That is eminently commercial, but without the first game it is severely diminished. Can anybody help?
What about the David Nixon programmes? I am sure somebody has a radio broadcast version of the wonderful consultation game Fischer plus Barden against Pednrose and Clarke. what a joy it would be to hear that again, not just read it.
There is a fair amount of chess material on youtube.
Stewart Reuben

Mike Creaney

Post by Mike Creaney » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:59 pm

I do have a video tape copy of game one (Dutch) from the Docklands speed chess challenge, the quality isn't perfect but is ok.
if it's of any use your'e more than welcome to borrow it,Stewart
you can contact me at [email protected]

Personally i thought the series presenter Tony Bastable was awful ,and should have stuck to, Magpie,i think it was. :)

was it really twenty years ago !

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:09 pm

Kevin D Plant wrote:I have somewhere in my attic Videos of some of these programs that i taped and also the world championships between Karpov - Kasparov and Nigel Short - Kasparov.

During this weekend i will see if i can find them and convert them so i can put them on my site and post the link here :D
Thanks but please remember that the search engine stuff is working *so* well on here that you might take a lot of bandwidth in hits

The choice is yours...

Cheers
Carl

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:11 pm

Whoops too much plonk and responded to the wrong message, sorry about that

Cheers
Carl

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:25 am

Karpov v Spassky - Kings Gambit. Bill Harston trying to understand what was going on. I am going to transfer it to CD but dont know how to put it on line- if anyones has a webb site and knows how to do it then I am willing to send a copy.

Kevin, I am fairly sure that is not the Master Game. It was a series in Ohra called Chess Classic. But I am relying on my memory.

I don't think you can, or at least should, take copyright material and post it on a site.

Stewart Reuben

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:36 am

Kevin D Plant wrote:
I have somewhere in my attic Videos of some of these programs that i taped and also the world championships between Karpov - Kasparov and Nigel Short - Kasparov.

During this weekend i will see if i can find them and convert them so i can put them on my site and post the link here

Dear Kevin,
Please compiled a list of what you have. If you have all of Kasparov v Karpov 1986 that woould be a real find.

I have already posted that you should not put copyright material onto a websited without permission. I don't think you will get this from the BBC and I know Ray Keene owns the copyright on the Thames TV programmes.
Stewart Reuben

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:12 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:Karpov v Spassky - Kings Gambit. Bill Harston trying to understand what was going on. I am going to transfer it to CD but dont know how to put it on line- if anyones has a webb site and knows how to do it then I am willing to send a copy.

Kevin, I am fairly sure that is not the Master Game. It was a series in Ohra called Chess Classic. But I am relying on my memory.

I don't think you can, or at least should, take copyright material and post it on a site.

Stewart Reuben
I am happy to put a copy linked to here if you have checked the copyright status

Let me know

Cheers
Carl

Bill Wilson

Post by Bill Wilson » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:07 am

I received a reply from the BBC; although they focused all the reply on one throw away question I asked at the end, re: would it be put online as part of the BBC archive. They failed to answer the important question; who owns the copyright?

Dear Bill

Thank you for your e-mail regarding 'Master Game'

The programme was a BBC production. Unless programmes have been distributed and sold commercially, our copyright and contractual agreements only allow us to broadcast them, not supply copies or tapes. We regret that we're therefore unable to provide copies of the programme you're looking for.

To request the release of this programme to online archives, please contact the National Film Archive directly:

http://www.bfi.org.uk/filmtvinfo/

Please note, however, that the BBC is not responsible for the content found in any external sites.

Assuring you of our best efforts with any future enquiries you have, thank you once again for taking the time to contact the BBC.

Regards

Cait
BBC Information

Nigel Wright

Post by Nigel Wright » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:11 am

What's stopping us making our own TV Chess Program? :D

It could be like the BBC's Coast, only instead of dossing about at the seaside, clubs around the British Isles could be visited and documented. If money was no option I'd be happy to help do it :)
To Drink or not to Drink, that is the question.

I Drink therefore I am.

I'm not as think as you drunk I am.