Chess on TV

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Justin Hadi

Re: Chess on TV

Post by Justin Hadi » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:38 pm

Ah, perhaps a different one then.

The right way to play chess is a great book, second one I ever bought. First published in 1950 and still being sold in bookshops today.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:07 pm

John Upham wrote:
Gavin Strachan wrote: Got me thinking, were any top GM's spys?
GM Eddie Gufeld was allegedly a KGB agent along with other Soviet players.
The late GM Vladimir Antoshin was another (not "allegedly" either, but pretty openly IIRC)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Gavin Strachan

Post by Gavin Strachan » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:58 pm

The replies were most interesting! No one admitted to being a spy either, bit of a surprise that one :P

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:04 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
John Upham wrote:
Gavin Strachan wrote: Got me thinking, were any top GM's spys?
GM Eddie Gufeld was allegedly a KGB agent along with other Soviet players.
The late GM Vladimir Antoshin was another (not "allegedly" either, but pretty openly IIRC)
I recently bought the book 'The KGB Plays Chess' (by Boris Gulko, Vladimir Popov, Yuri Felshtinsky, and Viktor Korchnoi, published in 2010 by Russell Enterprises in the USA, 176pp) - The subtitle is "The Soviet Secret Police and the Fight for the World Chess Crown" - I must try and get Korchnoi to sign it at the London Chess Classic, though I hope waving something in his direction with the word "KGB" on it doesn't have the wrong effect! :)

The structure of the book is that Gulko writes the Foreword and Korchnoi the Afterword, while the two central chapters are one by the other two authors (Popov is a KGB agent, while Felshtinsky is a historian), and one by Gulko. The book ends with a rather eye-opening letter from Popov (currently living in Canda) about the current state of affairs in Russia.

I haven't read the book fully yet, but I suspect anyone reading this part of this thread will be interested in it.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:31 pm

The late David Pritchard told me 'The Right Way to Play Chess' was his best paid work. It took him three weeks and he was still receiving royalties 30 years later. In case people don't know, his wife Elaine is still alive. She was a very strong player (about 200 strength), was a child prodigy and won the World Girls' Championship pre-war.
There is a new book out called something like 'Paul Morphy, Confederate Spy'. It is fictional.
Harry Golombek once told me he was having dinner with somebody who kept pointing to people saying, 'He's a spy.' Eventually Harry said he realised everybody in that society was a spy.
Baturinsky used to be captain of the Soviet team. He was a Colonel in the KGB. I have no idea of his playing strength.

Stewart Reuben

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:45 pm

David and Elaine Pritchard's daughter, Wanda Dakin, also played chess. Unfortunately I think the club she used to play for (Dursley) has folded through lack of members.

Justin Hadi

Post by Justin Hadi » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:16 pm

There's a new made for TV US chess show called Extreme Chess Championships. https://twitter.com/#!/XChessChamps

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue May 08, 2012 10:40 am

Just had a call from Coronation Street asking for help filming a chess scene this Friday afternoon :)
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue May 08, 2012 10:52 am

Mick Norris wrote:Just had a call from Coronation Street asking for help filming a chess scene this Friday afternoon :)
Get the board the right way round. I advised a production of Chess (the musical) last week and, despite my best efforts, the board was still the wrong way round!

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue May 08, 2012 12:26 pm

Matthew will sort them out no problem :wink:

Niall Doran

Post by Niall Doran » Tue May 08, 2012 2:19 pm

Mick Norris wrote:Just had a call from Coronation Street asking for help filming a chess scene this Friday afternoon :)
My other half's a Corrie fan. When the episode likely to air, and which characters are involved?

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue May 08, 2012 3:33 pm

No idea, will keep you posted if Matthew finds out on Friday

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue May 08, 2012 5:38 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSIOg2YGmyk

Starring Samir Samalov a 9 year old 100+ London player. It was made for him by the charity 'Make a Wish'. He plays a James Bond type character and of course saves the world with chess. The script was his idea. It is 12 minutes long.
For the Premier they had a red carpet for him.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue May 08, 2012 5:53 pm

Niall Doran wrote:
My other half's a Corrie fan. When the episode likely to air, and which characters are involved?
A ill-informed source suggests that Dot Cotton is giving a blindfold clock simul versus the Dingle family with Elsie Tanner as arbiter.

There will be a horrendous explosion (someone leaves the gas on) with much mayhem and gnashing of teeth and many "Cor blimeys" and whippets.

Dot will be taken hostage by Dirty Den and later rescued by Benny and "Miss Diane".

In the final scene "JR" will return to "The Street".
Last edited by John Upham on Tue May 08, 2012 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue May 08, 2012 5:57 pm

Really John. I was looking forward to watching that episode and you have given the plot away.