BRITISH CHESS CHAMPIONSHIPS - THE GAMES

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Jonathan Bryant

Re: BRITISH CHESS CHAMPIONSHIPS - THE GAMES

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:54 am

LozCooper wrote:...Peter Lalic also won against a higher rated player.
Not to diminish Peter's achievement - it was clearly a good result - but had I had time I would have mentioned before the tournament that his elo is a joke. I'd back him to win this afternoon against a 2200 as well (although that's knowing nothing about his opponent).

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:05 am

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Not to diminish Peter's achievement - it was clearly a good result - but had I had time I would have mentioned before the tournament that his elo is a joke. I'd back him to win this afternoon against a 2200 as well (although that's knowing nothing about his opponent).
There's a lot of under rated juniors around and there will be more and more as they start with initial low ratings and have to work their way up. Ironically his young round 2 opponent has just come on the list with a rating that is at least closer to his actual strength.

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:33 am

Game of the Day from Rd One.

Eggleston-Short

Please excuse slight feedback echo; the acoustics in my hotel room are not ideal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzr1WSZFXfw

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:52 am

LozCooper wrote:
Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Ironically his young round 2 opponent has just come on the list with a rating that is at least closer to his actual strength.

Ah. If Peter's opponent today is also a junior I will downgrade my prediction from "would back him to win" to "wouldn't be at all surprised if he won"

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:08 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:Not to diminish Peter's achievement - it was clearly a good result - but had I had time I would have mentioned before the tournament that his elo is a joke.
Elo ratings assume a certain level of activity to confirm a change in playing strength. If a player does not achieve that level activity there will be a lag between rating and playing strength. This is why it would be good if all weekend congresses were FIDE rated for example.

Andrew Stone

Post by Andrew Stone » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:23 pm

At the recent Ghent chess festival they had a prize for shock of the round, presumably based on rating differences. Every single prize was won by a junior. The prizes? Bottles of wine. The venue for the prize giving? A full size chapel with altar, pulpit the lot!

Gavin Strachan

Post by Gavin Strachan » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:30 pm

In Adams game round 1 Dietmar played Qb6 and Adams played NC3 leaving the B2 pawn up for grabs. If Qxb the knight needs to move or be defended. Nb5 threatening check is countered with NA6 and the pawn on c2 is looking knackered. Someone enlighten me on what is wrong with this variation. (He played nc6). Either way white queenside looks knackered. NA4?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:43 pm

Gavin Strachan wrote:In Adams game round 1 Dietmar played Qb6 and Adams played NC3 leaving the B2 pawn up for grabs. If Qxb the knight needs to move or be defended. Nb5 threatening check is countered with NA6 and the pawn on c2 is looking knackered. Someone enlighten me on what is wrong with this variation. (He played nc6). Either way white queenside looks knackered. NA4?
One of the main ideas runs 7 .. Qxb2 8 Nb5 Na6 9 dxc5 Bxc2 10 Qc1 which is presumably in favour of white because development is faster and the c5 pawn is held. I'm not sure whether there have been any recent books on the Short system ( white plays e5, Nf3, Be2) but they would explain why parking the Bishop on e3 has become the main line. Presumably it's because .. Qb6 in response has been shown not to work very well. Previously you played c3 or 0-0 in answer to c5.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:49 pm

Kolbus was really brave playing this line against Adams, it is hot at super-GM level. The idea is to meet Qb2 with Qb1, and even with queens off White's initiative on the Q-side is very dangerous. It is a thematic attempt to stir up trouble before black unravels, taking advantage of blacks wasted c6-c5 tempo and locking the light squared bishop from the q-side. A deep idea, originally from Bologan I think.

There was an article in Nic96; they post the games here: http://www.newinchess.com/Yearbook/Defa ... PageID=223

David Brock

Post by David Brock » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:56 pm

Can anyone else tell me has their previously been a Mum and Son or Father and Son both playing in the British Champs before or is this a first. Especially as both started off with a win. That would be a great pairing later on if they have to play each other!!!

Good luck to both of them and I do believe it is Peters ambition to become a GM so this really is a test of where he stands in his chess development.

As no Mr Haydon this year I am backing Peter to hopefully cause a few upsets.
Think,check and then Move !!

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:42 pm

Father and son, yes - John and Paul Littlewood; E Michael and Michael JR White.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:43 pm

David Brock wrote:Can anyone else tell me has their previously been a Mum and Son or Father and Son both playing in the British Champs before or is this a first.
I suspect the Littlewoods.

James Pratt

Post by James Pratt » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:55 pm

yes, Norman and John Littlewood played in 1978 as brothers with their nephew and son, respectively, Paul, champion to be in 1981. All three Ledger brothers played on occasion.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:17 pm

Live coverage of boards 1-4 is underway: http://www.britishchess2011.com/live_games.htm

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:32 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:Father and son, yes - John and Paul Littlewood; E Michael and Michael JR White
Did the Whites beat the Littlewoods on aggregate ?
Whatever those results I expect they will be beaten this time.

I know the Ladies' championship used to be a separate event but did Magaret Wood ever play at the same time as her father BHW ? Thats more in John Saunder's or Leonard Barden's domains.