British Chess Championships 2011

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Matthew Turner

Re: British Chess Championships 2011

Post by Matthew Turner » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:18 pm

I think it should be

Howell Adams
Hawkins Short
Jones Bates

Things might be complicated by Hawkins colour sequence.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:35 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:I think it should be

Howell Adams
Hawkins Short
Jones Bates

Things might be complicated by Hawkins colour sequence.
correct!

4 Pert v Pert

Andrew Stone

Post by Andrew Stone » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:36 pm

Tough draw for Jonathan Nelson. Third GM in a row. You'd think on 2.5/5 he would get an easier game.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:38 pm

Pert v Pert may be moved to board 5 for some unfathonable reason. :lol:

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:43 am

Round 6 pairings:

http://www.livechess.co.uk/british2011/ ... rings.html

Only one GM clash in round 6: Howell-Adams.

Head-to-heads for the top 7 boards:

(1) Howell-Adams

Three games. Two wins for Adams (both with White) from 2006 Staunton Classic and 2010 London Chess Classic. The draw was from the 2009 London Chess Classic, and Howell had White.

(2) Hawkins-Short

Couldn't find any games.

(3) Jones-Bates

Couldn't find any games.

(4) R. Pert-N. Pert

Two games, two draws. An 8-move draw from 2001 British, and a 23-move draw from 2010 British.

(5) Houska-Gordon

One game. Win for Gordon (with Black) in Hastings in 2006.

(6) Hunt-Hebden

One game. Win for Hebden (with White) in 2011 4NCL.

(7) Williams-Griffiths

One game. Win for Williams (with Black) in 2010 British.

Ranking after round 6:

http://www.livechess.co.uk/british2011/ ... nking.html

The top five (Howell, Adams, Short, Jones, Hawkins) are currently unbeaten. Four others are also unbeaten: Wells, Hunt and Griffiths (all 3.5/5) and Andrew Ledger (3/5).

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:14 am

Is it too early to start speculating on norm opportunities, because a few players (Hawkins, Griffiths and Brown particularly) seem to be in with a very good chance at the half-way point (half-way for a 10 round norm, at least).

On an unrelated note, why does the ranking page say "ranking after round 6" (my italics)

A third thing. How can Adam's W-we figure be 0.00, when he has not played to exactly his rating? Likewise Thomas Rendle having a positive W-We despite his TPR being lower than his rating? Will someone please explain how this is possible?
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:06 am

Rob Thompson wrote: On an unrelated note, why does the ranking page say "ranking after round 6" (my italics)
Because you've clicked the round 6 rankings button. If you want to see the rankings after round 5, you click here http://www.livechess.co.uk/british2011/ ... nking.html

Of course, as no round 6 games have taken place yet they are the same at the moment. :D
Rob Thompson wrote: How can Adam's W-we figure be 0.00, when he has not played to exactly his rating?
Because his W-We is the sum of the points gained or lost in each individual game. You can check Adams totals here http://www.livechess.co.uk/british2011/ ... /p001.html. You'll see that the sum of points gained and lost is exactly equal to 0.

The TPR is something very different and is nothing more than an indication of the rating that you would need to have had to have a W-We of 0 with the results that you have achieved thus far. Don't forget, this is a rating band to reflect the probability curve. You can check the bandings here http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.html? ... ew=article. It might be more accurate to express Adams' TPR as 2702-xxxx (whatever xxxx is).
Rob Thompson wrote: Likewise Thomas Rendle having a positive W-We despite his TPR being lower than his rating?
The answer to this is the same as that for Adams.

By the way, the W-We figures published on the British Championship website as they are wrong. They are using an old version of SwissMaster which is pre the 350 point rule becoming the 400 point rule. They won't be wrong by much, but they will be wrong.

Andrew Stone

Post by Andrew Stone » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:21 am

I watch most of my sport "as live" normally a few hours after but as much as 5 days after the actual event, without knowing the score. I find it as good as watching live, the only problem being that I am very good at working out likely results on the smallest bit of info I pick up. Today I will add chess to the things I will have to avoid knowing the results, so I can watch the commentary "as live" this evening or tomorrow. What do you reckon are the chances in the pub after my walk that someone will come in Likely Lads style chanting "there's only one Richard Bates" after demolishing Gawain or some such thing? No the walk/drink isn't in Sheffield!

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:26 am

Andrew Stone wrote:I watch most of my sport "as live" normally a few hours after but as much as 5 days after the actual event, without knowing the score. I find it as good as watching live, the only problem being that I am very good at working out likely results on the smallest bit of info I pick up. Today I will add chess to the things I will have to avoid knowing the results, so I can watch the commentary "as live" this evening or tomorrow. What do you reckon are the chances in the pub after my walk that someone will come in Likely Lads style chanting "there's only one Richard Bates" after demolishing Gawain or some such thing? No the walk/drink isn't in Sheffield!
Provided that no one reading your comment visits your local you should be fairly safe :roll:

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:52 pm

Andrew Stone wrote:"there's only one Richard Bates"
Well he does play for Middlesex! :D

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:23 pm

We now have a betfair Market on the Championships. I notice Richard Bates is listed ahead of Gordon, Hebden, Conquest, Perts. They have obviously heard about his run of form with White (and not seen today's game)

Justin Hadi

Post by Justin Hadi » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:43 pm

Pretty poor on the commentary today, no sound.

Andrew Camp

Post by Andrew Camp » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:42 pm

Justin Hadi wrote:Pretty poor on the commentary today, no sound.
You should ask for a refund. Oh wait....
Chairman of North Wales Junior Chess Association
[email protected]

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:43 pm

Justin Hadi wrote:Pretty poor on the commentary today, no sound.
I was disappointed. With no Sunday games, this is the only day I can watch a full session. Some good games, and occasional GM opinions from Matthew Turner here, but still I feel a bit let down.

Justin Hadi

Post by Justin Hadi » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:48 pm

Oh wait.. The sound was working yesterday so for it to have suddenly broken is disappointing. Not the same as hiccups on day one.