British Chess Championships 2011

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Paul Cooksey

Re: British Chess Championships 2011

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:54 pm

looking ahead; if short and adams both win in round 7 - who gets white in round 8?

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:59 pm

I'd assume Adams keeps his colour sequence and gets black
Any postings on here represent my personal views

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:00 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:looking ahead; if short and adams both win in round 7 - who gets white in round 8?
Normally the higher rated would keep colour sequence but as Short has had BWBWWBW I think he would have black and Adams who has gone WBWBWBW would break his sequence. Having said that I dimly recall some rule that you only check back over 3 rounds in which case Adams would keep sequence :?

Someone find me an arbiter :oops:

I should add that there's a lot of chess to be played before that possible scenario occurs. Having to play black against first Adams and now Short is certainly a test of how strong Gawain is now as a 2600+ player.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:25 pm

LozCooper wrote:
Paul Cooksey wrote:looking ahead; if short and adams both win in round 7 - who gets white in round 8?
Normally the higher rated would keep colour sequence but as Short has had BWBWWBW I think he would have black and Adams who has gone WBWBWBW would break his sequence. Having said that I dimly recall some rule that you only check back over 3 rounds in which case Adams would keep sequence :?

Someone find me an arbiter :oops:
Under FIDE pairing rules, Loz is right. Adams would be white in accordance with E3 below.
FIDE Pairing Rules wrote:Colour Allocation Rules

For each pairing apply (with descending priority):
E.1 Grant both colour preferences.
E.2 Grant the stronger colour preference.
E.3 Alternate the colours to the most recent round in which they played with different colours.
E.4 Grant the colour preference of the higher ranked player.
However, I don't know the answer under British accelerated rules which we have already established is what is being used in the British. I can't find a copy online anywhere.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:31 pm

Acceleration stopped after round 3 though rd 4 would have been the same under either system.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:32 pm

Has David Farrall withdrawn?

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:33 pm

Perhaps to avoid Gawain and Simon getting an inferiority complex we should investigate who would keep sequence if they both win :!:

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:37 pm

LozCooper wrote:Someone find me an arbiter :oops:
Will I do? (Judge when you've read this post.)

The "Rules for Seeded Swiss Pairings in Britain" now state that "BWWB and WBWB equally deserve white". I think it follows that WBWBWBW and BWBWWBW are also treated equally and hence that Adams would get Black in the scenario under discussion. However, I'm certainly not 100% sure.

As you said, there's a lot of chess to be played before the scenario would arise. If it were to do so, I would regard it as a reasonable test of whether or not I understand the relatively new Rules.

Sean Hewitt wrote:However, I don't know the answer under British accelerated rules which we have already established is what is being used in the British. I can't find a copy online anywhere.
Nor can I, but the standard Rules apply once acceleration has ceased.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:45 pm

LozCooper wrote:Perhaps to avoid Gawain and Simon getting an inferiority complex we should investigate who would keep sequence if they both win :!:
Are you postulating that the games on Boards 3 and 4 are both drawn?

If so, your question is a straightforward one. Both players will have had BWBWBWB. Jones would be half a point ahead, so he would keep sequence and hence have White.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:49 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
LozCooper wrote:Perhaps to avoid Gawain and Simon getting an inferiority complex we should investigate who would keep sequence if they both win :!:

If so, your question is a straightforward one. Both players will have had BWBWBWB. Jones would be half a point ahead, so he would keep sequence and hence have White.
Mind you, as Simon is a half behind it's probably only a hypothetical point as it wouldn't be forced for them to play.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:53 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:I think it follows that WBWBWBW and BWBWWBW are also treated equally and hence that Adams would get Black in the scenario under discussion. However, I'm certainly not 100% sure.
I enjoy an irony. Despite Short's criticism of the pairing system, it may give him white against his three closest rivals.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:59 pm

LozCooper wrote:
David Sedgwick wrote:

Mind you, as Simon is a half behind it's probably only a hypothetical point as it wouldn't be forced for them to play.
It would if Boards 3 and 4 were both drawn, wouldn't it. Hence my question.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:02 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:

Mind you, as Simon is a half behind it's probably only a hypothetical point as it wouldn't be forced for them to play.[/quote]
It would if Boards 3 and 4 were both drawn, wouldn't it. Hence my question.[/quote]

I'm not one to postulate :roll:

I thought I'd provide some balance in case anyone reading thought we'd already decided on tomorrow's results :?

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:13 pm

LozCooper wrote:I thought I'd provide some balance in case anyone reading thought we'd already decided on tomorrow's results :?
As behoves your position :) I assume you are worried Short or Adams will have a Fergie style outburst, claim you are trying to put pressure on them, and boycott the analysis room :)

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:25 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
David Sedgwick wrote:I think it follows that WBWBWBW and BWBWWBW are also treated equally and hence that Adams would get Black in the scenario under discussion. However, I'm certainly not 100% sure.
I enjoy an irony. Despite Short's criticism of the pairing system, it may give him white against his three closest rivals.
That's not really true. There's nothing to suggest that he wouldn't have had white against his three closest rivals with any other type of pairing system. Naturally, it all depends on the results of the games leading in to that point.