Full time ECF management

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Gavin Strachan

Full time ECF management

Post by Gavin Strachan » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:56 pm

Hi
I am not totally clear on how the ECF board works and is paid. I get the impression that many of the board roles are unpaid (apart from expenses perhaps?) and members have other jobs. If this was the case then would it not be better for there to be a fulltime paid management structure in place? I might be completely off the track here and the downside to my point is "the money to pay people to do the job where does it come from" statement.

Roger de Coverly

Re: Full time ECF management

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:40 am

If this was the case then would it not be better for there to be a fulltime paid management structure in place?
There's a paid office of 4 in Battle, none of whom are serious chess players.

The board are only paid by expenses (if at all).

The idea of one of the paid staff being a serious player (and in effect the CEO) was tried and abandoned more than 15 years ago. I don't know why it was abandoned - lack of candidates with both the office skills and chess skills perhaps.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:28 pm

When Graham Lee was General Secretary and worked from the Hastings Office it did not work out well.
A professional CEO would not of course have to be located in Battle.
The problem is funding a good person for the job and then finding a suitable individual. Let us postulate £50,000 a year plus back up expenses. His/her first job would be to generate enough income per year to pay his own salary. This would not be easy. The time to do that was in the 1980s when we had sponsorship money rolling in. It was thought of when we bought BCM, but that part of the project did not work out because there was enough to pay for a good editor/manager, but not for the CEO work.
The directors are uniformly unpaid. They need to have time available at short notice. Thus most must be retired from full time employment, self employed or be the managing director of their company. These tend naturally to be wrinklies.
Stewart Reuben

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:33 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:When Graham Lee was General Secretary and worked from the Hastings Office it did not work out well.
Are the reasons for this known and able to be divulged here? Could lessons be learnt from this episode to reattempt it at a future date?

John
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:22 pm

It is all a very long time ago. Basically there was a misunderstanding about the nature of the job as I understand it.
Stewart

Nigel Wright

Post by Nigel Wright » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:46 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:These tend naturally to be wrinklies.
Stewart Reuben
Like yourself then Stewart? :D
To Drink or not to Drink, that is the question.

I Drink therefore I am.

I'm not as think as you drunk I am.