English Chess Forum

A home for discussions on the English Chess scene.
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 442 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: CJ Banned?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 3:54 pm
Posts: 1967
Ray Keene is tweeting that CJ has been "banned from presenting the prizes" at British Championship today.

Anybody know anything about this?

_________________
http://www.streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.com

"Of all the stupid questions so far, This one is particularly annoying, and irrelevant and when I meet you, I propose to write it down on cardboard and nail it to your face."
- Jerry Sadowitz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CJ Banned?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 3:54 pm
Posts: 1967
CJ now tweeting:-

"I've just been barred from presenting the British Chess Championships prizes because I was wearing a @stonewalluk t-shirt! Disgusting!"

_________________
http://www.streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.com

"Of all the stupid questions so far, This one is particularly annoying, and irrelevant and when I meet you, I propose to write it down on cardboard and nail it to your face."
- Jerry Sadowitz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CJ Banned?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:30 pm
Posts: 102
For people who don't know, stonewall uk is a charity close to CJ's heart to day with gay rights.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CJ Banned?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:45 am 
Jonathan Bryant wrote:
CJ now tweeting:-

"I've just been barred from presenting the British Chess Championships prizes because I was wearing a @stonewalluk t-shirt! Disgusting!"

Barred by whom I wonder? English chess shoots itself in the foot again.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: CJ Banned?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 3:54 pm
Posts: 1967
ThomasThorpe wrote:
For people who don't know, stonewall uk is a charity close to CJ's heart to day with gay rights.


It's official:

association with homosexuality - not cool. association with RDK - completely fine.

_________________
http://www.streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.com

"Of all the stupid questions so far, This one is particularly annoying, and irrelevant and when I meet you, I propose to write it down on cardboard and nail it to your face."
- Jerry Sadowitz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CJ Banned?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:50 am 
Good grief. Quite apart from my feelings on the issue itself, the blunder in outraging the person who generated all the positive publicity for the championship is shocking


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: CJ Banned?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:05 pm
Posts: 4240
Location: Evesham
Did the presentation perhaps deserve something a little more presentable than a t-shirt though?

_________________
Cheers
Carl Hibbard


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CJ Banned?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:51 am 
Paul Cooksey wrote:
Good grief. Quite apart from my feelings on the issue itself, the blunder in outraging the person who generated all the positive publicity for the championship is shocking

Quite. I do wonder which numpty has the authority to ban the President though!


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: CJ Banned?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:13 am
Posts: 2237
Location: Bideford
I had nothing to do with this decision and would like it to be known that I do not endorse it.

_________________
http://westcountrychess.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CJ Banned?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 3:54 pm
Posts: 1967
Carl Hibbard wrote:
Did the presentation perhaps deserve something a little more presentable than a t-shirt though?


I had a similar thought, but "you should wear a shirt" is a somewhat different message to "we don't want gayness around here".

As for insulting CJ ... well, I don't think you get a free pass for *everything* just because you provide the funds for an event. That way Kirsan lies. The problem is not that he's been told "you can't do whatever you like", but rather that somebody's put the brakes on for completely the wrong thing.

_________________
http://www.streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.com

"Of all the stupid questions so far, This one is particularly annoying, and irrelevant and when I meet you, I propose to write it down on cardboard and nail it to your face."
- Jerry Sadowitz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CJ Banned?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:05 pm
Posts: 4240
Location: Evesham
Jonathan Bryant wrote:
I had a similar thought, but "you should wear a shirt" is a somewhat different message to "we don't want gayness around here".

Yes of course...

I presume it must have been the actual venue being rather silly?

_________________
Cheers
Carl Hibbard


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CJ Banned?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 3:54 pm
Posts: 1967
Carl Hibbard wrote:
Jonathan Bryant wrote:
I had a similar thought, but "you should wear a shirt" is a somewhat different message to "we don't want gayness around here".

Yes of course...

I presume it must have been the actual venue being rather silly?



It would seem not. Ray's latest tweet:-


IT SEEMS TO ME THAT THE ORGANIZERS OF THE #BRITISHCHESS CHAMPIONSHIP ARE IN BREACH OF ANTIDISCRMINATION LAWS AND SHD BE REPORTED TO POLICE

_________________
http://www.streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.com

"Of all the stupid questions so far, This one is particularly annoying, and irrelevant and when I meet you, I propose to write it down on cardboard and nail it to your face."
- Jerry Sadowitz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CJ Banned?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:05 pm
Posts: 4240
Location: Evesham
Jonathan Bryant wrote:
It would seem not. Ray's latest tweet:-

IT SEEMS TO ME THAT THE ORGANIZERS OF THE #BRITISHCHESS CHAMPIONSHIP ARE IN BREACH OF ANTIDISCRMINATION LAWS AND SHD BE REPORTED TO POLICE

Oh Ray, must be true then :roll:

_________________
Cheers
Carl Hibbard


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CJ Banned?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 3:54 pm
Posts: 1967
Carl Hibbard wrote:
Jonathan Bryant wrote:
It would seem not. Ray's latest tweet:-

IT SEEMS TO ME THAT THE ORGANIZERS OF THE #BRITISHCHESS CHAMPIONSHIP ARE IN BREACH OF ANTIDISCRMINATION LAWS AND SHD BE REPORTED TO POLICE

Oh Ray, must be true then :roll:


touche!

_________________
http://www.streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.com

"Of all the stupid questions so far, This one is particularly annoying, and irrelevant and when I meet you, I propose to write it down on cardboard and nail it to your face."
- Jerry Sadowitz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CJ Banned?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 3:54 pm
Posts: 1967
Ray - and I'm assuming this is Ray operating the Times twitter feed and not Byron Jacobs - is going nuts about this. Latest tweet:-


Just spoke to a top professor at one of uks leading universities-she believes the people who banned cj shd be prosecuted #britishchess


Raymond Dennis Keene leading the fight for equal rights for all. Who'd have thought it?

_________________
http://www.streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.com

"Of all the stupid questions so far, This one is particularly annoying, and irrelevant and when I meet you, I propose to write it down on cardboard and nail it to your face."
- Jerry Sadowitz


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 442 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group