CJ Banned?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Jonathan Bryant

CJ Banned?

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:42 am

Ray Keene is tweeting that CJ has been "banned from presenting the prizes" at British Championship today.

Anybody know anything about this?

Jonathan Bryant

Re: CJ Banned?

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:43 am

CJ now tweeting:-

"I've just been barred from presenting the British Chess Championships prizes because I was wearing a @stonewalluk t-shirt! Disgusting!"

ThomasThorpe

Post by ThomasThorpe » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:44 am

For people who don't know, stonewall uk is a charity close to CJ's heart to day with gay rights.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:45 am

Jonathan Bryant wrote:CJ now tweeting:-

"I've just been barred from presenting the British Chess Championships prizes because I was wearing a @stonewalluk t-shirt! Disgusting!"
Barred by whom I wonder? English chess shoots itself in the foot again.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:48 am

ThomasThorpe wrote:For people who don't know, stonewall uk is a charity close to CJ's heart to day with gay rights.
It's official:

association with homosexuality - not cool. association with RDK - completely fine.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:50 am

Good grief. Quite apart from my feelings on the issue itself, the blunder in outraging the person who generated all the positive publicity for the championship is shocking

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:51 am

Did the presentation perhaps deserve something a little more presentable than a t-shirt though?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:51 am

Paul Cooksey wrote:Good grief. Quite apart from my feelings on the issue itself, the blunder in outraging the person who generated all the positive publicity for the championship is shocking
Quite. I do wonder which numpty has the authority to ban the President though!

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:53 am

I had nothing to do with this decision and would like it to be known that I do not endorse it.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:55 am

Carl Hibbard wrote:Did the presentation perhaps deserve something a little more presentable than a t-shirt though?
I had a similar thought, but "you should wear a shirt" is a somewhat different message to "we don't want gayness around here".

As for insulting CJ ... well, I don't think you get a free pass for *everything* just because you provide the funds for an event. That way Kirsan lies. The problem is not that he's been told "you can't do whatever you like", but rather that somebody's put the brakes on for completely the wrong thing.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:57 am

Jonathan Bryant wrote:I had a similar thought, but "you should wear a shirt" is a somewhat different message to "we don't want gayness around here".
Yes of course...

I presume it must have been the actual venue being rather silly?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:58 am

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Jonathan Bryant wrote:I had a similar thought, but "you should wear a shirt" is a somewhat different message to "we don't want gayness around here".
Yes of course...

I presume it must have been the actual venue being rather silly?

It would seem not. Ray's latest tweet:-

IT SEEMS TO ME THAT THE ORGANIZERS OF THE #BRITISHCHESS CHAMPIONSHIP ARE IN BREACH OF ANTIDISCRMINATION LAWS AND SHD BE REPORTED TO POLICE

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:01 am

Jonathan Bryant wrote:It would seem not. Ray's latest tweet:-

IT SEEMS TO ME THAT THE ORGANIZERS OF THE #BRITISHCHESS CHAMPIONSHIP ARE IN BREACH OF ANTIDISCRMINATION LAWS AND SHD BE REPORTED TO POLICE
Oh Ray, must be true then :roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:02 am

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Jonathan Bryant wrote:It would seem not. Ray's latest tweet:-

Oh Ray, must be true then :roll:
touche!

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:04 am

Ray - and I'm assuming this is Ray operating the Times twitter feed and not Byron Jacobs - is going nuts about this. Latest tweet:-

Just spoke to a top professor at one of uks leading universities-she believes the people who banned cj shd be prosecuted #britishchess

Raymond Dennis Keene leading the fight for equal rights for all. Who'd have thought it?