CJ Banned?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Andrew Camp

Re: CJ Banned?

Post by Andrew Camp » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:10 pm

He wore a plain t-shirt and jeans at last year's award ceremony.

On this issue, I'm with Carl in that I think an official should dress more respectfully. But this does not detract from any of the superb work that Mr de Mooi has done in his role.

This, I feel, is going to run a for a bit...sadly.
Chairman of North Wales Junior Chess Association
[email protected]

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:12 pm

Andrew Camp wrote:But this does not detract from any of the superb work that Mr de Mooi has done in his role.
No, clearly the work done by CJ for chess is excellent
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:16 pm

Andrew Camp wrote:He wore a plain t-shirt and jeans at last year's award ceremony.
Last year's photos are at

http://www.britishchess2011.com/2010/pr ... g_2010.htm

John Sargent

Post by John Sargent » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:28 pm

To clarify: the shirt was a red one with white and black text "SOME PEOPLE ARE GAY. GET OVER IT!" in capital letters on the front of it, with a small Stonewall logo underneath. CJ wore it yesterday as well as this morning at the prizegiving IIRC.

Update: A photo is now available: http://yfrog.com/h2cljwbj
Last edited by John Sargent on Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:32 pm

Andrew Camp wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote:Did the presentation perhaps deserve something a little more presentable than a t-shirt though?
I did think this.

As it happens I agree with this point of view, but it's a complete side issue. If the t-shirt was the problem it could - should - have been addressed at/before the opening ceremony.

It was not, so I think we can conclude it was not the t-shirt per se that caused the 'problem' today.

Andrew Camp

Post by Andrew Camp » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:35 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Andrew Camp wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote:Did the presentation perhaps deserve something a little more presentable than a t-shirt though?
I did think this.

As it happens I agree with this point of view, but it's a complete side issue. If the t-shirt was the problem it could - should - have been addressed at/before the opening ceremony.

It was not, so I think we can conclude it was not the t-shirt per se that caused the 'problem' today.
Indeed. Hopefully a storm in a tea cup that could have been avoided with a bit of common-sense on both sides.

I say 'hopefully' and make no judgements yet until facts are revealed. Probably best we say no more.

Sigh...what a way to end two brilliant weeks.
[email protected]

Simon Ansell

Post by Simon Ansell » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:39 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Andrew Camp wrote:
I did think this.

I agree with this. As I commented last week on the Streatham blog, the opening 'ceremony' itself was a bit of a joke.

We need an official statement from whoever made the decision. I was going to offer my services to the ECF to work on the grading database post Carl, but am going to hold until I know exactly what happened.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:50 pm

David Robertson wrote:Today is Gay Pride Day for heaven's sake. My entire family, wife & three grown kids, have just left for the local parade.
I've been searching for this, and it appear to be a local Liverpool event:

http://www.liverpoolpride.co.uk/

I know you said it was a local parade, but the impression I got from your post was that the "Day" was a national one (which would have been of some relevance), when I think that is actually in June. Or maybe October. It gets confusing. Lots of local events and parades and months throughout the year, from what I can tell.

The reason I bring this up is that if something is a recognised national event, that does have some relevance. The closest I can think of is a chess event taking place in the USA on 4 July, or people wearing poppies leading up to 11 November and Remembrance Sunday. Some of the "ribbon" days are probably better analogies.

Gordon Cadden

Post by Gordon Cadden » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:59 pm

Warren Kingston wrote:Should wear the proper outfit for an award ceremony.
flip flop straw hat and a thong aren't the things you wear, along with a t-shirt. Like Carl said, may be I am getting old?
This comment does seem appropriate, but which official banned the President from presenting the prizes ?
It is well known that CJ is a Gay Rights activist.
Last edited by Gordon Cadden on Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew Camp

Post by Andrew Camp » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:01 pm

According to Twitter, CJ says it was nothing to do with anyone on the ECF board or the venue.

Intriguing.
[email protected]

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:08 pm

I reckon Jon Manley will be working on a special issue of Kingpin. This has got everything.

Phil Makepeace

Post by Phil Makepeace » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:10 pm

With the title Get Your Fritz Out For The Lads?

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:16 pm

Sunday papers interested, do you reckon? In which case, chess will be made to look reactionary, homophobic. Large pic of CJ with said T-shirt. I could write it already for the Guardian or the Indie on Monday.

Phil Makepeace

Post by Phil Makepeace » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:20 pm

I would be stunned if the New Statesman aren't all over this.

In addition, CJ has just tweeted Jeremy Vine and has given an interview to the Sunday Times.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:33 pm

So he's not saying who banned him - because he's got a story! Where's Tim S when you need him. Mind you I doubt that the Sun would run this unless there is another angle.