CJ Banned?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Jon D'Souza-Eva

Re: CJ Banned?

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:43 am

Gavin Strachan wrote:Some committee must have deemed it inappropriate to use the prize giving a vehicle to advertise the charity. The decsision would also have been made quickly so perhaps not a huge amount of time to consider the permitations.
True, they might have decided to err on the side of caution if they had little time to decide. Has CJ been wearing a Stonewall t-shirt at Sheffield?

Peter Shaw

Post by Peter Shaw » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:44 am

He was wearing one yesterday.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:45 am

Ben Purton wrote:I think their is a difference between legality and morality regarding such issues. You might very well be legally allowed to ban someone for something but does not make it a fair judgement in the most part.
agreed. it was appalling judgement. I'm just responding to the tweets of RDK regarding criminal liability. I've heard that he can organise a match in a day and write a book in a weekend but I don't believe that he could get any advice - let alone bad advice - from an academic lawyer in a matter of minutes on a Saturday!

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:45 am

Gavin Strachan wrote:Some committee must have deemed it inappropriate to use the prize giving a vehicle to advertise the charity. The decsision would also have been made quickly so perhaps not a huge amount of time to consider the permitations.
Despite saying I would ignore this thread (the chess game isn't doing much at the moment), I'm wondering what CJ has worn to other chess congresses where he was talking/opening/whatever as ECF President? I saw him at Hastings, but can't remember what he wore. Possibly this has been rumbling along for a while (if the issue has come up before). But as I said, let's not speculate until the ECF officials concerned can say something official. And please remember that they are likely officiating over the playoff, and/or watching it. I doubt anyone thought that it would immediately be all over the Twittersphere (or the CJ and RDK parts of Twitter).
Last edited by Christopher Kreuzer on Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen Ormerod

Post by Stephen Ormerod » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:46 am

Personally it appears to me that CJ is here promoting chess and whilst he is wearing his 'chess' cap he should be exercising some discretion and not promoting other causes - of any form.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:46 am

If the ECF Board is responsible for this, I'd like to have said it beggars belief. Alas, it's all too predictable.

Today is Gay Pride Day for heaven's sake. My entire family, wife & three grown kids, have just left for the local parade. They weren't the least surprised when I told them the news here. They regard my affection for chess as an amusing idiosyncracy. Best pat Dad on the head and leave him to it.

Meanwhile the leadership of the national chess community, if this is the case, has committed an unpardonable offence against CJ de Mooi and the gay community. If one is content to have a President such as CJ, then one buys the whole package. One cannot cherry-pick the PR & fund-raising razzle-dazzle but censor the gay rights activist. Why would anyone do such a thing, and be regarded as sane?

So the ECF will be looking for a new President shortly. Or a new Board! If the current Board is responsible, and if its stance is maintained, then they'd best head-hunt some worthy sober-sides to replace CJ.

We get what we deserve - unless we change.

But university professors - available on a Saturday? Heaven forfend!
Last edited by David Robertson on Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:48 am

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Ben Purton wrote:I think their is a difference between legality and morality regarding such issues. You might very well be legally allowed to ban someone for something but does not make it a fair judgement in the most part.
agreed. it was appalling judgement. I'm just responding to the tweets of RDK regarding criminal liability. I've heard that he can organise a match in a day and write a book in a weekend but I don't believe that he could get any advice - let alone bad advice - from an academic lawyer in a matter of minutes on a Saturday!
Ray's a man with contacts! He's also the master of the 'true but not true' statement.

My interest in his tweets is more the fact that he's making them than any absolute truth in what he's saying.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:48 am

Loz Cooper, who organises the British championship who would have the capacity to do the banning, I assume it is only a handful of people.
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:50 am

Ben Purton wrote:Loz Cooper, who organises the British championship who would have the capacity to do the banning, I assume it is only a handful of people.
I don't organise the British Championship. It comes under the Director of Home Chess so I have no say in this or any decision relating to the British.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:50 am

all this is overshadowing the play-off itself, it seems. I am sure that Adams will win game 2 without any worries. It has been rather an anti-climax - odd opening choices led to Short being unable to play his natural game on either occasion, and a colourless draw with White and depressing position with Black have resulted.

Phil Makepeace

Post by Phil Makepeace » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:51 am

LozCooper wrote:
Ben Purton wrote:Loz Cooper, who organises the British championship? Who would have the capacity to do the banning? I assume it is only a handful of people.
I don't organise the British Championship. It comes under the Director of Home Chess so I have no say in this or any decision relating to the British.
Pretty sure Ben's post was meant as amended above.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:52 am

Jonathan Rogers wrote:all this is overshadowing the play-off itself, it seems. I am sure that Adams will win game 2 without any worries. It has been rather an anti-climax - odd opening choices led to Short being unable to play his natural game on either occasion, and a colourless draw with White and depressing position with Black have resulted.
Which is a shame, as - it seems to me in any case - that he has played the most interesting - and the best - chess of the tournament...

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:52 am

Dear me, freedom of expression is one of the most important parts of democracy.

Whilst Law and order also are vital, I see no overlap with the two which would make a banning legitimate.

"Time and a place" , surely expressing ones views should not be confined to what is deemed correct by one induvidual or any group.

Ben

Brb - haircut
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:53 am

The current Board is certainly not responsible as a board for this issue; of it, only CJ, Peter Purland and Stewart Reuben were at the prizegiving. (I arrived as the prizegiving was finishing.)

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:53 am

Ben Purton wrote:Loz Cooper, who organises the British championship who would have the capacity to do the banning, I assume it is only a handful of people.
I can answer on Loz's behalf...

Director of Home Chess is Adam Raoof.

Managers for the British Championship are David Welch and Alex McFarlane.