CJ Banned?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Carl Hibbard

Re: CJ Banned?

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:54 am

To quote twitter:

cjdemooi CJ de Mooi

I'll make an official statement when play is over. I stress this was not an ECF board (the members here were supportive) or venue decision
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:54 am

CJ:
I'll make an official statement when play is over. I stress this was not an ECF board (the members here were supportive) or venue decision

http://twitter.com/#!/cjdemooi/status/99794956188790784

Stephen Ormerod

Post by Stephen Ormerod » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:56 am

deleted
Last edited by Stephen Ormerod on Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:58 am

Apologies for the rank speculation, but I think that points to the Congress managers (they aren't on the board, are they?). Parents and chess players wouldn't have the authority to prevent the ECF President awarding the prizes. The only other thing I can think of is that some local dignitary presented the prizes jointly, and raised an objection.
Last edited by Christopher Kreuzer on Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:58 am

Stephen Ormerod wrote:My money says a parent....
If that were true, then the organisers ought to have pointed out the ECF and the British Championships are non-discriminatory.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:01 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:.. the ECF and the British Championships are non-discriminatory.
More than that even "and to promote equal opportunities in a positive manner"

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:09 pm

Please, please let it not be a parent, especially not a parent of a Muslim prize-winner for example. All our nightmares...

NB pure speculation of course

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:11 pm

David Robertson wrote:Please, please let it not be a parent, especially not a parent of a Muslim prize-winner for example.
Surely Muslims aren't allowed to enter the British Championship?

Sorry, I had a bit of a Mark Howitt moment.

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:20 pm

I'll make a comment whenever I feel like- I couldn't care less what you think because you're an idiot, Paul McKeown.

I'm just interested to know who actually banned him.

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:32 pm

I expect an arbiter or two were involved in this. Couldnt CJ have appealed against the arbiters decision ?

The rules allow the arbiter to require a participant to wear a jacket to cover up promotional T shirts.
Last edited by E Michael White on Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:35 pm

Mark Howitt wrote:I'll make a comment whenever I feel like- I couldn't care less what you think because you're an idiot, Paul McKeown.

I'm just interested to know who actually banned him.
I suppose you are oblivious to how you really get up the wick of just about every one else on this forum. Not surprising with your charmless, poorly informed, closed minded and backward attitudes which have been broadly rejected by the British public. Keep spouting, other users of this forum will continue to put you straight (no pun intended).

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:36 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote:Its not reasonable to expect everyone to accept CJ's believes and therefore something less controversial in dress sense at an important time in our national chess would have been much wiser.
Copper in "doesn't quite get freedom of speech/equality issues" shocker.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:43 pm

I respect Ernie Lazenby's right to his own view on such matters. But I believe he is stating a position which is very conservative by today's norms. The Conservative party takes a much different position on gay rights today than it has done historically, for example.

I do not think the ECF is under any obligation to cater to views outside the political mainstream, even if it did not explicitly support equal opportunities.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:44 pm

E Michael White wrote:The rules allow the arbiter to require a participant to wear a jacket to cover up promotional T shirts
Maybe. But the human brain in a sane individual allows the application of commonsense. And the application of commonsense would start by asking whether the greater good in the greater round is best achieved by the applying the rule, or by tolerating its infringement.

I know where I stand in this case. Isn't it obvious to all who don't live in a cave?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:48 pm

I think it would be helpful if we found out exactly who did what and why before we have the inevitable bunfight about it. (I say that as somebody with views not entirely within the political mainstream, har har.)
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com