CJ Banned?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
PaulTalbot

Re: CJ Banned?

Post by PaulTalbot » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:50 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote:
Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Ernie Lazenby wrote:Its not reasonable to expect everyone to accept CJ's believes and therefore something less controversial in dress sense at an important time in our national chess would have been much wiser.
Copper in "doesn't quite get freedom of speech/equality issues" shocker.
I dont need lesson from a nob head about freedom of speech/equality issues I fought long and hard in the police service to promote them however most intelligent individuals recognise there is a time and place to support a particular issue. Our national championship is not the place.
I agree. CJ should be promoting chess, not his favourite pressure group. Don't get me wrong, I have friends who are Gay, but why do some Gay people feel that they have to constantly force this issue down other people's throats? I think they are the ones who need to "GET OVER IT", not people like me.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:51 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote:Perhaps if CJ had stood up wearing an English defense League T Shirt or National front T shirt his freedom of expression would be acceptable?
I would object to those. I would consider them outside the political mainstream. But for example there are some causes, in support of the military for example, which I do not agree with as a liberal but accept are mainstream opinions. I would not object to a t-shirt supporting those.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:52 pm

The rules allow the arbiter ... - so they don't require him. So we are indeed in the realm of common sense. Surely the idea is that an arbiter might want to prevent someone from advertising a gambling website, to take one not particularly random example - but which sane arbiter/Congress manager would want to prevent anyone from giving some relatively inconsequential support to a charity (which almost by definition is accepted to be a good cause)?

The English Defence League is not a charity; I think that example is easily distinguished.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:53 pm

PaulTalbot wrote:I agree. CJ should be promoting chess, not his favourite pressure group. Don't get me wrong, I have friends who are Gay, but why do some Gay people feel that they have to constantly force this issue down other people's throats? I think they are the ones who need to "GET OVER IT", not people like me.
I didn't think we had parody accounts on here, that's normally reserved for Twitter
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:54 pm

Universities have charitable status too. Would CJ have been banned if he wore the T-shirt of whichever University he attended?

Simon Bibby

Post by Simon Bibby » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:55 pm

Interesting to read.
Am a liberal expat liberal arts uni lecturer here, and an occasional player.
I simply object to T-shirts in professional settings.

I have strong views regarding the Japanese government's lack of consideration toward the people, and lack of action toward those people who live near the Fukushima nuclear incident.
But I wouldn't wear a T-shirt regarding this at a Japanese tournament prizegiving.
I'd wear a suit.
Time and place.

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:59 pm

David Robertson wrote:Maybe. But the human brain in a sane individual allows the application of commonsense. And the application of commonsense would start by asking whether the greater good in the greater round is best achieved by the applying the rule, or by tolerating its infringement.
As, in another setting, Blair and Brown discovered and generations will not forget. views like that lead to the financial crisis.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:02 pm

yes, I see the time and place point. Many would want to demarcate the roles. But to take that feeling to the point of actually banning CJ - that's a whole further measure. usually the powers that be would grimace and get on with it even if they didn't like it.

again, I think it relevant that Stonewall is a charity - not a political organisation.
Last edited by Jonathan Rogers on Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:18 pm

This is still all speculation until anything official is announced, but I would expect the following (in no particular order) to have some say in what goes on at the prize-giving in terms of appearance:

*The Congress Managers
*The Congress Sponsors
*The National Chess Federation

You would also expect individuals (such as local dignitaries and politicians presenting prizes) to have some opinion on what they are associating themselves with and being photographed with (whether those opinions are reasonable or not is another matter, but they can be expected to have opinions).

Not sure what, if anything, chess players, parents and arbiters have to do with this, though.

Simon Bibby

Post by Simon Bibby » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:32 pm

Do we have a description of the T-shirt from those present? Tasteful? A garish affair? Jimmy Somerville wedged between d5 and f5 pawns perhaps. Would work.
Whimsy aside.
Best not jump on this as a gay prejudice thing. Thought that had died a decade or two back, long gone, no? Nowt of the sort I would reckon. Just, yeah, don't promote other stuff. Smarten up, suit up, there's a good chap.

Perhaps money should be set aside for the prizegiving at chess events. To hire suits and shiny shoes. Clean socks. Deodorant. And shampoo and combs. Scruffy folk chess players, even more so than most of my American teaching colleagues.
Big fan of Morozevich, but nothing can excuse the dodgy, dirty white trainers he wore at the 2004 Calvia Olympiad prize giving. Stood in front of me on stage. Blighted the affair, he did.

Andrew Camp

Post by Andrew Camp » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:51 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:Did the presentation perhaps deserve something a little more presentable than a t-shirt though?
I did think this.
Chairman of North Wales Junior Chess Association
[email protected]

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:02 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote: You would also expect individuals (such as local dignitaries and politicians presenting prizes) to have some opinion on what they are associating themselves with and being photographed with (whether those opinions are reasonable or not is another matter, but they can be expected to have opinions).
It could have been one ,or more, of the prize winners.
Simon Bibby wrote:Do we have a description of the T-shirt from those present?
CJ is caught on camera as a spectator in round 11
https://picasaweb.google.com/1094989459 ... 6250735026

It's the (back of) the red tee-shirt on the far right of the picture about half way up.
Last edited by Roger de Coverly on Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:04 pm

Mark Howitt wrote:I'll make a comment whenever I feel like - I couldn't care less what you think because you're an idiot, Paul McKeown.

I'm just interested to know who actually banned him.
I would ask you pair to play nice and please attempt to be a little more civil before I am forced to take more drastic action
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:04 pm

It may be pertinent to observe that CJ wore a T-shirt and jeans at the opening ceremony. Nobody appeared to think this was untoward.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:06 pm

JustinHorton wrote:It may be pertinent to observe that CJ wore a T-shirt and jeans at the opening ceremony. Nobody appeared to think this was untoward.
No just scruffy, I know there is no dress code and so perhaps I am just getting a little old
Cheers
Carl Hibbard