CJ Banned?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Charlie Storey

Re: CJ Banned?

Post by Charlie Storey » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:42 am

It is inappropriate to wear this at a British Chess Championship when there in a professional or representative capacity - Advertising any form of sexuality to impressionable under16's is wholly inappropriate and to do that from a position of trust and power is morally incorrect - he was right to offer his resignation and Lara (whom I have had a fair few differences with) was absolutely right to make CJ remove it before presenting prizes. It sounds like he has gone on a spoilt child in not conforming to the request. Accept the resignation and install me as ECF President - Someone that really cares about chess and has no other agenda other to push The Sniper!

I was once asked to remove a White T shirt that had a simple red card on it "Show Racism The Red Card" I was not allowed to work as a football steward on that day for wearing it.

Storey for ECF President - give it to someone from The North - For the First time! Vote Storey for ECF President!

http://www.CharlieChess.com
FIDE Master/FIDE Trainer PGCE Won170+ Opens
Many National Junior Champions 1-1
ChessBase Author
ICC Presenter
England junior Team Coach 2008-19
Head of WCJS
Https://ChessSERVICESmap.com
https://chesscasestudy.gr8.com/
www.QueensGambitAcademy.com

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:47 am

Charlie Storey wrote:Advertising any form of sexuality to impressionable under16's is wholly inappropriate and to do that from a position of trust and power is morally incorrect
I wonder if it is worth me setting up some sort of macro to point out the slogan is part of an anti-bullying campaign which has been distributed to all secondary schools.

Moving on, can anyone summarise the coverage in the Sunday Times? Or do I need to walk to the co-op and spend £2?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:51 am

Charlie Storey wrote:Storey for ECF President - give it to someone from The North - For the First time!
Presumably you're unaware that Gerry Walsh was ECF President for several years?

Andy Howie

Post by Andy Howie » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:04 am

Who? :twisted:

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:14 am

Back in 1914 the great Frederick Dewhurst Yates (heard of him?) wrote:

‎"Chess is eminently the game for the level-headed, and the players are those quiet people who are the salt of the earth."

Perhaps what the ECF needs most is some quiet, level-headed people.

Angus McDonald

Post by Angus McDonald » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:25 am

I've really enjoyed the live board coverage.

Allthough I'm not a strong player and strong players might be more criticial I personally think that Adams and Short put on a real show. From what I could see they have been a great advertisement for Chess.

In recognising CJ's efforts to promote Chess it should really be about Chess and if he stays perhaps someone can get him some nice Chess T shirts?

I'd be interested to know if CJ has worn the T shirt he wore at the prize giving on the Egg Heads programme? and if not why not?

Dress code?

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:26 am

How about the ECF getting some 'Some people play chess. Get over it.' t-shirts made and donating the proceeds to Stonewall? I'd buy one.

I think CJ has acted generously and honourably in accepting that he might have over-reacted and in offering his resignation. The Board should refuse that offer.

The inadvisability of the ECF associating with Ray Keene has been clearly demonstrated.

It would have been a good thing for CJ to have presented the prizes to juniors, regardless of the t-shirt. There is still a reservoir of anti-gay opinion in this country, and to have positive role models to counter the bigotry can only be good.

Andy Howie

Post by Andy Howie » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:31 am

Ian Kingston wrote:How about the ECF getting some 'Some people play chess. Get over it.' t-shirts made and donating the proceeds to Stonewall? I'd buy one.
Put me down for one as well.

David Brock

Post by David Brock » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:32 am

I have not read all of the comments on here so apologies if someone else has said this already. But here goes

Who the hell is laura barnes ? She may be chief arbiter but she should keep herself to chess matters not what someone wears at a presentation.

Who gave her the right to make that decision and she should apologise or never be allowed to be in charge of such an important event again.

We went for cj as president for everything he brings and despite peoples personal opinions the teeshirt and slogan was harmless and it would appear that someones bigotry overtook events.

The ecf needsto back cj and state a major error has occured and distance themselves from this decision or risk losing cj
Think,check and then Move !!

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:39 am

David Brock wrote:I have not read all of the comments on here so apologies if someone else has said this already. But here goes
We are indeed repeating some of the points discussed yesterday this morning.
David Brock wrote:Who the hell is laura barnes ?
Lara Barnes is an arbiter, not the chief arbiter. CJ identified her, albeit not by name, as the person who raised concern about his t-shirt. He does not say she was the person who took the decision.

There is a Laura involved, but she is from Stonewall. This has already caused some confusion.
David Brock wrote:The ecf needsto back cj and state a major error has occured and distance themselves from this decision or risk losing cj
Fortunately CJ is not requiring this, only a renewal of his mandate in not accepting his resignation.

I do think someone from the ECF should be clearly accountable, and that person should be apologising. But the problem seems to be in lack of accountability.

Andrew Camp

Post by Andrew Camp » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:42 am

And so it goes on......
Chairman of North Wales Junior Chess Association
[email protected]

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:47 am

Paul Cooksey wrote:Lara Barnes is an arbiter, not the chief arbiter. CJ identified her, albeit not by name, as the person who raised concern about his t-shirt.
CJ was wrong to pass comment as "she" but should have just said "the arbiters" as clearly there was some general discussion
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

matt_ward

Post by matt_ward » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:51 am

What I find interesting is would CJ have wore that T-shirt on the Eggheads I assume there is a dress- code there which means he is not allowed.

At the end of the day there is NO dress- code in chess and therefore anyone should be allowed to wear anything they want unless it is classified offensive.

Matt. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Andrew Camp

Post by Andrew Camp » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:53 am

matt_ward wrote:What I find interesting is would CJ have wore that T-shirt on the Eggheads I assume there is a dress- code there which means he is not allowed.

At the end of the day there is NO dress- code in chess and therefore anyone should be allowed to wear anything they want unless it is classified offensive.

Matt. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
According to the entry form, there was a dress code for players - smart casual.
Chairman of North Wales Junior Chess Association
[email protected]

Charlie Storey

Post by Charlie Storey » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:58 am

This debate has nothing to do with discrimination it is simply about dress code which is a factor in every walk of life.

If I go to a funeral wearing Yellow its not appropriate.
If I go to an interview in jeans it's not appropriate.
If I go to a Night Club wearing trainers its not appropriate.
If I to a Wedding I wear a suit.
I I go to open a Shopping Mall I wear a suit.
If I present an award on TV I wear a suit.
If I present a Chess Boxing match as an MC I wear a suit.

I do not promote my own selfish interests even if it for a charity.

Anyone who makes a different issue about this other than what it - 'A Dress Code Issue for a person in a position of responsibility'

Well they are just a lynch mob pushing there own ridiculous non chess related agenda.

Storey for ECF President!

http://www.CharlieChess.com
FIDE Master/FIDE Trainer PGCE Won170+ Opens
Many National Junior Champions 1-1
ChessBase Author
ICC Presenter
England junior Team Coach 2008-19
Head of WCJS
Https://ChessSERVICESmap.com
https://chesscasestudy.gr8.com/
www.QueensGambitAcademy.com