British Major Open 2011

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Christopher Kreuzer

British Major Open 2011

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:42 pm

Was reminded from this:

http://www.mattywebbchess.com/british-c ... -round-10/

That the Major Open is also reaching an exciting finish.

http://www.britishchess2011.com/events_ ... m_2011.htm

Anyone like to pick a winner there? Which ones will/are qualifying for next year's British?

IM Jack Rudd

Re: British Major Open 2011

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:45 pm

Anyone who scores 7.5, and anyone under 20 who scores 7. So the three leaders have all qualified for next year's championship.

EDIT: Or rather, they would have if they were all eligible, and I don't think Hagesaether is.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:26 pm

I see from the final results here:

http://www.livechess.co.uk/british2011/ ... nking.html

That John Sudgen, Arne Hagesaether and Nicolas Tavoularis all scored 8/11 and came joint first. Many congratulations to them. I also see that 6 others scored 7.5, so presumably there are possibly 9 people who have qualified for next year's British Chess Championship (remembering the eligibility point Jack raised above). None of those on 7/11 seem to be under 20 (though no birth year given for EJ David Onley). I see Matthew Wadsworth needed a last-round win to reach that qualifying level, but sadly lost.

Is there confirmation anywhere on the qualifiers for next year from this year's Major Open?

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:37 pm

also :) , will the games be available? I see there are links, but not sure if that is just because the site presents in the same way as the Championship

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:41 pm

Dave Onley is not under 20.
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Mitchell Burke

Post by Mitchell Burke » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:51 am

I'm just curious why the Non-FIDE rated players were having their old grades converted rather than their new ones?

For example I played a junior in round 8 of the Major Open where his FIDE conversion based on his old ecf grade of 123 came to 1584*. However his new ecf grade was 150 and so his FIDE conversion would be 1850*. As a result I'm playing someone much better than their rating and so I'm not truely playing someone of 1500ish standard (I had to salvage a draw in the game after he outplayed me through most of the game!)

I know I should be playing the position in front of me rather than their grade/rating but when new grades are published just before the British, why aren't they being used?

Mitchell

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:51 am

Mitchell Burke wrote:I'm just curious why the Non-FIDE rated players were having their old grades converted rather than their new ones?
In the past, it was usual to use the most recent grades for pairing purposes. This leads to anomalies in the rating restricted tournaments that the wall chart could show players not apparently eligible. This is not an issue in the Major Open. Throughout the event, therefore, including the Major Open, they were using seeded pairing methods using obsolete, probably incorrect seeding.

For FIDE rating, only results against rated players will count. For ECF grading, the new season grades will be used.