Winning, Losing or Drawing streaks

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Alex McFarlane

Re: Winning, Losing or Drawing streaks

Post by Alex McFarlane » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:15 am

I used to organise and arbit a district championship. I also played if there was an odd number. I gave up playing when I had to rule on a 10.2 (draw in the last 2 minutes) claim, effectively giving the decision against myself. I'm still not happy with the arbiter!!

Ian Stephens

Post by Ian Stephens » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:39 pm

My winless run continues folks, Last nights league match produced another draw, with the match score at 2.5-1.5 in our favour my opponent offered the draw, team captain leapt on me (not literally) and said I could accept as board 2 had the required win for the match. I had come out of the opening "Najdorf" a Pawn down and managed after a four move combo emerge a Pawn to the good! so my dilemma was to a)break the streak or b) help win the match? I took the draw reasoning that my 8 game winless streak had now become a 3 game unbeaten one! also I could just envisage sitting in the bar afterwards surrounded by my dejected team mates enquiring "How on Earth did you allow that Knight fork" : )
Ex-President of Liverpool Chess Club, now mere Tournament Controller and Chief bottle washer.

Michael Jones

Post by Michael Jones » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:17 am

A certain player at my grammar school lost his first 12 league games. To give him some credit, he never gave up and won the 13th!

Ian Stephens

Post by Ian Stephens » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:36 pm

Michael Jones wrote:A certain player at my grammar school lost his first 12 league games. To give him some credit, he never gave up and won the 13th!
Not sure Michael if this is resilience or fortitude, but well done him!
Ex-President of Liverpool Chess Club, now mere Tournament Controller and Chief bottle washer.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:25 pm

Won a league game today, for the first time since February 2011 :)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Sebastian Stone

Post by Sebastian Stone » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:49 pm

I have not lost playing for Sidmouth since May 2009, a streak that includes 8 whole games.

I haven't lost a graded game at Sidmouth since November 2010, I'm not sure how many games this involves, but it's not many. Added to this I have not lost a game as black outside of a congress since May 2010, for a total of 17 games. In congresses during that period my record as black involves 3 losses of out 6 games.

OTOH, I recently went 10 Congress games without victory, 4 draws and 6 defeats.

Put simply, club good congress bad. :oops:

Oh, and I've never drawn a rapidplay game, this involves 11 games. 7 wins and 4 defeats, with white accounting for all 4 of those defeats and 2 of the wins.
AKA Scott Stone

"Give a man fire and he's warm for a day, set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."

That's Mr Stone to you, f**kface.

Ian Stephens

Post by Ian Stephens » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:04 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:Won a league game today, for the first time since February 2011 :)
Well done Matt, could you not of asked for an adjournment till Wednesday, just to complete the year? :)

Ian Stephens

Post by Ian Stephens » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:29 pm

Sebastian Stone wrote:I have not lost playing for Sidmouth since May 2009, a streak that includes 8 whole games.
Sebastian you need somebody to organise The Sidmouth Congress quickly that should cure it! :)

I find players stats quite interesting, I tend to enjoy congress games over league games as you can play with with less restraint and play out games to the bitter end, though I am not sure how that plays out in terms of my scoring, will need to do some analysis.

With the New grades out, I was pondering whether it would suit to have a Congress grade seperate from grades of other games?

Ian Stephens

Post by Ian Stephens » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:06 pm

Just for the record, with my fourth draw in a row I reached 9 games without a win, could I creep into double figures without a win for the first and only time in my life?

No! Not a chance, Two wins on the trot have ended that run and seen my new shiny unbeaten run extend to six!

Nicky Chorley

Post by Nicky Chorley » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:29 am

Two straight wins for me at Golders Green yesterday (and three for the event overall) :D.

Ian Stephens

Post by Ian Stephens » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:43 pm

Nicky Chorley wrote:Two straight wins for me at Golders Green yesterday (and three for the event overall) :D.
Nice going Nicky, sounds like a maiden tournament victory is on the horizon!

Nicky Chorley

Post by Nicky Chorley » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:44 pm

Lol, thanks. I wouldn't go that far. Two wins came against very weak opponents (mate in 15 and 9 moves), but they're juniors so if they keep playing I imagine they'd get better quite quickly. As for the third, well, I really could have lost on time, having about a minute or two left by the time I delivered mate. I don't think mate was forced, either; my opponent made mistakes and I took advantage :D.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:48 pm

Nicky Chorley wrote:... my opponent made mistakes and I took advantage :D.
Which is how chess games are won :-)

Congrats on the wins. It's good to see you making progress.

James Byrne

Post by James Byrne » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:17 pm

Last edited by James Byrne on Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:30 pm

James Byrne wrote:I started playing otb Chess this year (Oct 2011), and whilst playing for Notts Uni 1 & 2 my games have gone: DLWDLLLLD then x-mas holidays break and my first 2 games this year have gone: WD.
Nottingham haven't sent a team to High Wycombe for the Universities Championship this year (or the last two years :(). It's probably a bit late to do anything about that this year, but we'd be delighted to see a team from Nottingham at next year's event!