Winning, Losing or Drawing streaks

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Angus French

Re: Winning, Losing or Drawing streaks

Post by Angus French » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:11 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Angus French wrote:Pah! Tal is nothing to Bogdan Lalic who recently went at least 140 FIDE-rated games without losing.
That's impressive, but how has it been documented? Verifying records is a fraught business at the best of times. How would you (or anyone) set standards (if those documenting such records asked) for such things?
See Bogdan's FIDE card - results from the period ending Nov 10 to the period ending Nov 11.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:21 am

Is something like this remotely possible - Stewart (apologies for earlier spelling) Reuben played Saemisch who played Alekhine, played Lasker, played Steinitz, played Anderssen, played Staunton, played St. Amant, played De la Bourdonnais, played Deschappelles, played Philidor, who played Stamma of Aleppo (in Syria) who played a local...and so on, all the way back to As-Suli?
PS How many of Bogdan's games were under 20 moves?

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:41 am

John Nunn's streak included weekend Swisses if I remember correctly. Certainly his 10 consecutive tournament firsts did. The easiest thing to do would be to ask him.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:29 am

Rapidplays have people wining all 6 in a day relatively often and people occasionally losing all 6 too

I lost all 6 filling in at the Bury Rapidplay open section 1 year (starting with Keith Arkell) and the next appearance I lost my first 4

I have gone over a year without winning a longplay game of chess, and also a year without losing one

Kramnik had a very long unbeaten streak at one point
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:04 am

My record unbeaten streak was 15 until last year, when I managed 21 - it is partly luck of whom you play. I once managed 6 consecutive wins against people graded on average 10 points higher than me, but I have also managed several successive losses against people lower than me...

One Redhill colleague managed 56 without a draw and had quite a good plus score.
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Ian Stephens

Post by Ian Stephens » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:01 am

John McKenna wrote:Is something like this remotely possible - Stewart (apologies for earlier spelling) Reuben played Saemisch who played Alekhine, played Lasker, played Steinitz, played Anderssen, played Staunton, played St. Amant, played De la Bourdonnais, played Deschappelles, played Philidor, who played Stamma of Aleppo (in Syria) who played a local...and so on, all the way back to As-Suli?
I like this concept John, also believe it possible when you consider Kasparov played Tal, who played Botvinnik, who played...
Ex-President of Liverpool Chess Club, now mere Tournament Controller and Chief bottle washer.

Ian Stephens

Post by Ian Stephens » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:07 am

Mick Norris wrote:Rapidplays have people wining all 6 in a day relatively often and people occasionally losing all 6 too

I lost all 6 filling in at the Bury Rapidplay open section 1 year (starting with Keith Arkell) and the next appearance I lost my first 4

I have gone over a year without winning a longplay game of chess, and also a year without losing one
I have not considered Rapidplays Mick, but 10 on the bounce sets the standard!

How many games were played in the fruitless/fruitful years mentioned?
Ex-President of Liverpool Chess Club, now mere Tournament Controller and Chief bottle washer.

Ian Stephens

Post by Ian Stephens » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:29 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote:My record unbeaten streak was 15 until last year, when I managed 21 - it is partly luck of whom you play. I once managed 6 consecutive wins against people graded on average 10 points higher than me, but I have also managed several successive losses against people lower than me...
21 was a nice streak Kevin, also your previous of 15. Yes it can all depend on who you play which can be quite variable.
My winning streak is 7 straight in congresses also losing 4 straight, I generally have a poor streak followed by a good one. This year I had a TPR of 137 in an u145 event preceded by a TPR of 160 in an u155, maybe I should try an Open!

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:35 pm

LINKS. It used to be (and may still be possible) to determine your Kasparov number. That is the numbers of links to get you beat A, A beats B, B beats C, C beats Kasparov. That is a K number 4 and is mine. Ron Harman had an astonishing 2. He beat a very young player who improved and beat Kasparov (possibly still Weinstein at the time). The calculation is based solely on games on ChessBase.
Work has been done on played against. Then I score much higher. It is unsurprising that I played against players who met 19th century masters. I doubt the trail could extend beyond Philidor.

Alistair Campbell

Post by Alistair Campbell » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:24 pm

I went 15 without a win at the start of 2009. In at least 6 of those games I was significantly up on material (> +2 on Fritz) yet couldn't get the ball in the net. After I'd chucked two wins in a row in time-trouble at games 7 and 8 in the sequence I became very conscious of the "streak" yet couldn't do a thing about it - it was horrendous.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:33 pm

Ian P Stephens wrote:
Mick Norris wrote:Rapidplays have people wining all 6 in a day relatively often and people occasionally losing all 6 too

I have not considered Rapidplays Mick, but 10 on the bounce sets the standard!

How many games were played in the fruitless/fruitful years mentioned?
I'm trying to forget, might look it up when I have time :)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:49 pm

I won a longplay game on 28 May 2001 and again on 26 May 2002 after 11 losses and 11 draws (I ignore non serious games like club championships)

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:48 pm

Mick Norris >(I ignore non serious games like club championships)<

'There is no such thing as a friendly game of chess.'

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:36 pm

A bit off topic, but my first 12 league games for my club last year were all with the white pieces.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:19 am

Tonight I did something that I last did in 1977. I organised the World's first-ever FIDE Rated blitz in Hastings. I played throughout in order to make up the numbers. 1977 was the last time I organised and played throughout in a FIDE Rated event.