Explain these moves

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Steve Rooney

Explain these moves

Post by Steve Rooney » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:31 am

The Ivanchuk-Caruana game at Reggio Emilia has a very bizarre finish involving white literally chucking" away most of his pieces. What on earth was that about? If you were presented with that game score you'd think there was a serious error in transcription or it was April 1st.
http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=7815
http://www.ippogrifoscacchi.it/tornei_c ... 8/live.htm

Matt Mackenzie

Re: Explain these moves

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:03 pm

"Explainable" by Chucky - never the most stable of super-GMs - having a nervous breakdown at the board. Nothing more, nothing less :?

He lost his previous game quite horribly and bizarrely, too :(
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:20 pm

Good to see Ivanchuck finish on a win today. First big event win for Giri too I think, it seems he will join the elite GMs soon.

I think more a strange joke than a nervous breakdown. I assume he intended bc6 qc6 ra6 qa6 resigns. Vitiugov either didn't get it or decided he didn't want to join in. Someone did once sacrifice their queen in a lost position agianst me "to see the look on my face". I wasn't particularly impressed, but a similar joke I suppose.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:46 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:Someone did once sacrifice their queen in a lost position agianst me "to see the look on my face". I wasn't particularly impressed, but a similar joke I suppose.
I did something similar. I was getting mated in one next move, and couldn't defend it. So instead, I played Qe3, which left my Q en prise to about three different pieces. (If he didn't take it, or mate me, then I could play Qxe1# myself!)

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:56 pm

Maybe Paul, but Chucky has had these meltdowns a few times before - at least, as you say, he seemed to get it out of his system before the end :wink:

Great win for Giri!
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:23 pm

I've done that sort of thing a few times, at the end of a frustrating game, just to let off steam. The last time was against Mestel (4NCL March 2008) which was my fifth consecutive loss (a remarkable run and for me, unprecedented since I was about ten - admittedly all the games were against strong players). I was two pawns in a rook and pawn ending with no hope and just put the rook en prise in three different ways. After a moment of bewilderment Mestel showed some class - he just stuck out his hand as if I had offered my resignation in the usual way. Some people would have been afraid to do that, I should imagine.

Michael Jones

Post by Michael Jones » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:28 pm

I think one of my opponents in a recent blitz tournament may have thought I was doing that when I lost three pieces in quick succession. In fact it wasn't deliberate :roll: