Kramnik-Aronian match

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Paul Cooksey

Re: Kramnik-Aronian match

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:13 pm

There is an interesting variation in opinions in the master commentary on Kramnik's g4 and f4 :)

AustinElliott

Post by AustinElliott » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:24 pm

Whatever happened to the variation 6 de: !? Nb5: 7. a4, with the temporary Knight sacrifice, as a way for White to avoid the early Queen exchange in the Berlin?

Seem to recall Leonard Barden's famous book on the Ruy recommended this line long ago.

I remember when Kasparov was contesting the Berlin endgame after 6. Bc6: dc: 7. de: etc against Kramnik multiple times in their match, and getting nowhere very much, wondering why he never rolled the dice and tried 6 de: ?! Is it definitely known to be bad for White?

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:36 pm

AustinElliott wrote:Whatever happened to the variation 6 de: !? Nb5: 7. a4, with the temporary Knight sacrifice, as a way for White to avoid the early Queen exchange in the Berlin?

Seem to recall Leonard Barden's famous book on the Ruy recommended this line long ago.

I remember when Kasparov was contesting the Berlin endgame after 6. Bc6: dc: 7. de: etc against Kramnik multiple times in their match, and getting nowhere very much, wondering why he never rolled the dice and tried 6 de: ?! Is it definitely known to be bad for White?

Not so much bad as drawish. Tends to be the case with all the deviations except 4 d3, which Kasparov subsequently admitted he underestimated at the time and probably should have played.

To be honest, it is the many drawish deviations that put me off the Berlin. I'd be happy to try to play the endgame itself, since it is very complex. But the idea white can play this stuff, and 5 Re1 which is equally dull, puts me off. Worse, I can imagine white thinking he was doing something interesting, and it is the Berlin's fault :)

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:24 pm

A rapid game looking increasingly likely

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:26 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:A rapid game looking increasingly likely

It will be interesting to see if one or both of the players employ the Alex Holowczak Gambit. Might be a bit blatant with such little time played so far.

PS: Impatient forumites may wish to know that the Chess Vibes coverage is considerably behind that of Chess Bomb

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:56 pm

Well it turned out that there was more play that seemed likely.

At this point aren't they still about 30 mins shy of how much they need to play before the quickplay rule kicks in? Seems a bit hard on them to make them play again. It's been a good game.

[Oh wait, my mistake - I got the start time wrong. They've just reached the 3 hour mark]

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:38 pm

Any postings on here represent my personal views

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:58 pm

Mick Norris wrote:Game 2 analysis here:
http://www.thechessmind.net/storage/che ... 012m_2.htm
I was interested to read that Kramnik offered a draw early doors, so I guess he at least is prepared to play the quickplay games rather than shuffle about to no purpose.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:04 pm

If they had agreed an early draw, would Aronian have had white again in the Rapidplay?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:54 pm

Mick Norris wrote:If they had agreed an early draw, would Aronian have had white again in the Rapidplay?
That's a sensible question to which I can't find an answer on the official website at http://www.kramnikaronian.com/index.php.

We may just have to wait to find out. I would have thought it more likely than not that one of the four remaining games will be drawn in under three hours.

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:31 am

Mick Norris wrote:If they had agreed an early draw, would Aronian have had white again in the Rapidplay?
The commentary on Game 2 at ChessBase says 'Kramnik joked that [Aronian] was probably not enthusiastic either of the idea of playing a rapid game with Black, since the colors would be reversed'.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:22 am

Analysis of game 2 by Andrew Martin here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDlhan2I6c8 :D
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:28 pm

Game 3 under way, and Kramnik has played 1 e4

http://www.chessvibes.com/live-commenta ... gey-shipov

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:56 pm

Aronian has sacrificed his queen. Engines are not fond of the idea, but what do they know?

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:19 pm

Shipov - "That decision's either brilliant, or suicidal"