London Candidates?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Foley

Re: London Candidates?

Post by John Foley » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:58 pm

The strapline for the event:
Paulson: Cultural Learnings of London for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Azerbaijan.

Michael Jones

Post by Michael Jones » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:09 pm

John Foley wrote:The strapline for the event:
Paulson: Cultural Learnings of London for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Azerbaijan.
It remains to be seen what benefit they will make for Glorious Nominated Candidate of Azerbaijan.

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:38 pm

FIDE has changed the dates of the Candidates. There is no longer a clash with the London Classic.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:41 pm

Rearranged dates for this have been announced as 13-30 March 2013.

The obvious question is does this make it more likely that the Classic will continue?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:17 pm

The chessbase site has this

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8217

from which
His new venture, called World Chess, plans to return the sport to the UK’s television screens for the first time since Nigel Short played Garry Kasparov for the top prize in 1993. Condensed highlights will be shown on living room television sets, supported by interactive broadcast on the internet, iPads and smartphones

Planning is all very well, but it's delivery which counts. So it isn't happening until the TV magazines announce which Freesat or Freeview channel it will be on.

On an obscure historic note, the Intel rapid-play series was on TV for a couple of years after Kasparov-Short.

For chess "experts", the presentation from Moscow of the recent match couldn't be faulted, apart perhaps from the commercial breaks and the art programme digressions. Chessbase also reported that the playoffs were shown live on Israel TV, with subtitles for those not understanding English, (or Russian).

Tristan Clayton

Post by Tristan Clayton » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:27 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote: On an obscure historic note, the Intel rapid-play series was on TV for a couple of years after Kasparov-Short.
I seem to recall some, albeit minimal, coverage of Kasparov-Anand in 1995, on BBC2. I think it might have been a weekly highlights show, with Bill Hartston using the same touch-screen board the Beeb used for their coverage in 1993.

Please correct me if this is just a hallucination...
Follow me on Twitter @BackRankTristan for a patzer's-eye view of the amateur chess world: 140-character book reviews, ill-informed opinion, cartoon updates from the Back Rank, and other assorted chess rubbish.

http://www.twitter.com/backranktristan

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:27 pm

You are quite correct - I think that is the last chess-related programming on the "main" TV channels to date :(

Whilst we are on this topic, I know the KvK matches from 1984-86 got telly coverage, and am equally sure the 1990 encounter didn't. But what about 1987?? I don't recall anything from the BBC, but maybe I have (a quarter of a century on!) simply forgotten it......
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)