Getting The King In!

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
David Hirst

Getting The King In!

Post by David Hirst » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:14 am

There is often nothing more beautiful in chess than when the attacking prowess of the most vulnerable chess piece decides the game. Even when there are still many pieces left on the board, the attacking king can tip the balance. In this article - Getting the King In – the king shatters the resistance of the opponent in dramatic style.

Mike Truran

Re: Getting The King In!

Post by Mike Truran » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:24 am

......and of course the famous Short-Timman game may have been worth including.

David Hirst

Post by David Hirst » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:40 pm

Yes, agreed. I think using the king aggressively especially when there are still many pieces on the board shows real confidence in one's calculating abilities and as well as a logical outlook. In the game Kramnik v Leko from the article Getting The King In , Kramnik works out that he cannot improve any of his major pieces to attack Leko, and therefore deduces that the only attacking unit left is his king - ergo the formation of a winning plan using just the king. It is the old Sherlock Holmes dictum of once all other possibilities have been eliminated, whatever remains must be the answer however improbable.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:44 pm

This reminds me of a game I played where I sailed my king up the board, with visions of a Short-Timman-like finish, and ended up getting mated. :oops:

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:52 am

Perhaps David thought the Short game (One of the best games ever played played by a Brit.)
was too well known.

Has Nigel ever said which game gave him the idea. Alekhine, Tarrasch and Teichmann
also supplied famous examples.

I know I've said this before (and I'll say it again) but I despair thinking that Nigel does
not receive any further payment for this game.
The same goes for any player who has played a masterpiece.

If it was a naff poem, a crap piece of music then it's copyright and the author
gets some form of payment if it's used.

This game has brought pleasure and been enjoyed by thousands of players,
(Also no doubt authors have been paid for witing a book using this game.)
But the creator of this game is entitled to and gets nothing.

It just seems wrong.

David Hirst

Post by David Hirst » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:15 pm

Geoff, the reason that I did not include the Short-Timman game was because I included it in another article - Just Short Of Perfect - which looks at this game as well as the 'just short' of being masterpieces that he played in his world title match against Kasparov. Game 8 in the article nearly went down in the annals of chess as an immortal game. An incredible double rook sacrifice against the greatest player ever!