Farewell to Jimmy Adams!

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Upham

Farewell to Jimmy Adams!

Post by John Upham » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:24 pm

I note, with regret, from my March issue of CHESS, that Jimmy Adams is no longer designated as Editor on the masthead (whereas he was for the February 2012 issue).

I have scoured the inside pages of the March issue and have yet to notice any mention of this transition.

I would like to wish Jimmy all the best for future and congratulations to John Saunders on making the upgrade from Acting Editor to Editor.

No doubt the tribute to JBAs Editorship will be forthcoming in a later issue as perhaps there was no time or space for the March issue.

I have attached an image of JBA playing Stewart Reuben and hopefully, SR will oblige with details of this encounter?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

David Lettington

Re: Farewell to Jimmy Adams!

Post by David Lettington » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:21 pm

John, I don't know if the sarcastic tone was deliberate, but that's how it reads. However, you are right that it is only fitting to thank someone and pay tribute when they stand down. Other than the cursory mentions in the opening editorial, can you point out where the BCM paid tribute to it's last two editors, Steve Giddins and John Saunders?

No doubt they will be forthcoming in a later issue?

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:01 pm

Not to mention the cursory comment when Bernard Cafferty left BCM after many years...
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:05 pm

David,

The August 2010 issue looks back fondly on John Saunders time at BCM in some depth in a dedicated article starting on page 422.

The May 2011 editorial thanks Steve for his numerous contributions during his (regrettably) short period of tenure.

Simply, I was looking forward to a review of JBAs contributions. Apologies if that view appears to have sarcastic undertones: possibly a consequence of written rather than spoken word.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

JonManley

Post by JonManley » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:14 am

Interview with Jimmy Adams http://www.kingpinchess.net
http://www.kingpinchess.net 'the gutter press of chess' (Eric Schiller)
@KingpinEd

Dan O'Dowd

Post by Dan O'Dowd » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:59 pm

John Upham wrote:David,

The August 2010 issue looks back fondly on John Saunders time at BCM in some depth in a dedicated article starting on page 422.

The May 2011 editorial thanks Steve for his numerous contributions during his (regrettably) short period of tenure.

Simply, I was looking forward to a review of JBAs contributions. Apologies if that view appears to have sarcastic undertones: possibly a consequence of written rather than spoken word.
David, I disagree. It's inappropriate for you to unilaterally declare something to have sarcastic undertones in a text-only comment (though valid and productive that you explained you felt this way) especially since all the information required to make such a judgement is lacking. It seemed perfectly genteel to me. :)

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:31 pm

John, Don't do that to me. I only just came on this thread and until I read it, thought it referred to something much worse.

I don't remember the provenance of that photo where I am shown playing Jimmy a competitive game. Since my hair was black, it was obviously taken quite a number of years ago.

Gordon Cadden

Post by Gordon Cadden » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:29 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:John, Don't do that to me. I only just came on this thread and until I read it, thought it referred to something much worse.

I don't remember the provenance of that photo where I am shown playing Jimmy a competitive game. Since my hair was black, it was obviously taken quite a number of years ago.
I agree with Stewart. Jimmy has not been well lately. The headline for this thread should be removed.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:25 pm

To be fair, John wrote this headline at: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:24 pm