New TV Series wants chess player

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Lara Barnes

New TV Series wants chess player

Post by Lara Barnes » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:54 pm

Nicola from Betty TV called me and asked for some idea of a participant for this new series. I think we all know a chessplayer or two in this social category who could do with a confidence boost. If you want to be nominated and don't want to contact them direct send me a pm.

Here is what Nicola says:

I am looking to tap into the world of chess to find participants for our new lifestyle series we are making here at Betty. I am looking for single men aged 25 – 40, with really interesting jobs, passions and hobbies – of course it is not just limited to chess players, so if anyone outside of this area does come to mind, please do spread the word. At the moment I’m just looking to reach out to as many people as possible.

We are making a new observational documentary series for FOX, which will be 10 x 1 hour episodes. FOX are a worldwide channel, best known for their American dramas like The Walking Dead, Damages, Nip Tuck, American Horror Story, and others like Family Guy and One Tree Hill. This is a brand new series for FOX, which takes them away from dramas and into non scripted documentaries – it’s an exciting, sensitive and warm series.

We have five really lovely and very different guys already so I am looking for the next five. The series is about confidence, dating and style. Each episode sees one guy take on some incredible confidence boosting challenges and they will be mentored by three experts on confidence across the board, and on dating and style.

We start filming this month and go right through to the end of June, so each contributor will need to be available for five days – they will be put up in fantastic London accommodation and thoroughly looked after throughout the week. This is not a Take Me Out, or a Beauty and the Geek – it is a series which aims to help people who want to try something new, to step out of their comfort zone and take on a new challenge. Perhaps they have neglected certain areas of their lives because of work commitments or strong passions and hobbies, which may have left little time for anything else. Or they feel a bit stuck in their ways and are tired of the same old routine – whatever the reason, the series is a great way for someone to do something out of the norm, and hopefully achieve their own individual goals.

Whether people play chess professionally or if it is a passion or hobby, I understand it can take up a lot of someone’s time, perhaps because of this some people don’t get to date as much as they would like to? Or, they may want to find a balance with other aspects of their lives.

I’m really keen to get personal recommendations of very deserving people. Perhaps some of your friends, colleagues or clients will know people who would like to learn more about the series?

Betty TV are offering a potentially life changing week of incredible confidence boosting experiences. If you’re brave enough to step out of your comfort zone – male and aged between 25-40 they want to hear from you. For more information, send an email to: [email protected] or call us on 02072900540.

David Robertson

Re: New TV Series wants chess player

Post by David Robertson » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:44 pm

I wonder how many bottles of Pinot Grigio it took to work up this little concept. :roll:
Last edited by David Robertson on Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:51 pm

Lara Barnes wrote:The series is about confidence, dating and style.
Are you sure that they really want chess players? :lol:

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:23 pm

I was worried about the Korean crisis sparking a worldwide nuclear war.

Now I'm rather looking forward to it.

John Foley

Post by John Foley » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:48 pm

Betty TV wrote: the series is a great way for someone to do something out of the norm, and hopefully achieve their own individual goals.
Would this include switching from the Caro-Kann to the Sicilian?

Paul Sanders

Post by Paul Sanders » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:16 pm

Lara Barnes wrote:Nicola from Betty TV called me and asked for some idea of a participant for this new series. I think we all know a chessplayer or two in this social category who could do with a confidence boost.
From my admittedly limited exposure to TV people I would suggest 'crushing humiliation in front of (hopefully) millions of viewers' as a reasonable translation of 'confidence boost'.

Nick Thomas

Post by Nick Thomas » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:58 pm

Paul Sanders wrote:
Lara Barnes wrote:Nicola from Betty TV called me and asked for some idea of a participant for this new series. I think we all know a chessplayer or two in this social category who could do with a confidence boost.
From my admittedly limited exposure to TV people I would suggest 'crushing humiliation in front of (hopefully) millions of viewers' as a reasonable translation of 'confidence boost'.
Not with FOX surely!?

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:02 am

HI Lara

Hope you don't mind, I posted the request in the Scottish Forum (with nominations).

Ray Sayers

Post by Ray Sayers » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:12 am

This would be perfect for me except for 2 minor details:

- I am over 40
- I am not interesting.

:cry:

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:21 am

Morning all :D

I found this out about Betty Tv

We believe betty should be a creative, stimulating and caring place to work. The welfare of contributors and staff is one of our founding principles. Free breakfast, regular training workshops, employee of the month, yoga and drinks on Fridays, make betty tv what it is.
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:10 pm

Paul Sanders wrote:

Seconded, it sounds very much like C4's "The Undateables" with more chat going on about the merits of the Sicilian as opposed to the French defence :roll:
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:52 pm

Jon Mahony wrote:....it sounds very much like C4's "The Undateables" with more chat going on about the merits of the Sicilian as opposed to the French defence :roll:
I agree, it will probably just reinforce all of the existing stereotypes about chess players! :(

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:08 pm

Clive Blackburn wrote:
Jon Mahony wrote:....it sounds very much like C4's "The Undateables" with more chat going on about the merits of the Sicilian as opposed to the French defence :roll:
I agree, it will probably just reinforce all of the existing stereotypes about chess players! :(
It most probably will make stereotypes of the chess player or attempt to make him look weird in some way but it can be interesting taking part in a film and films shown on TV are soon forgotten like newspaper headlines are :wink:A Lot of the film of course gets left on the cutting room floor something i never realized until taking part in a film with Peter and it is often the channel that the program is for who makes the final cut.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:51 pm

I was asked if they could come to the e2e4 event at Gatwick. I said no.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:48 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:I was asked if they could come to the e2e4 event at Gatwick. I said no.
Who asked you and why did you say no?