London Chess Classic 2012

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Jonathan Rogers

Re: London Chess Classic 2012

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Tue May 01, 2012 4:50 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:The times_chess twitter feed says that Gawain Jones has been invited to this year's event. There's no announcement at TWIC or the Classic website yet .
Given the previous news that Nigel wanted to switch to the commentary box, I guess Gawain was next in line to a spot in the Classic. So this isn't particularly groundbreaking news, is it?
Not by any stretch. Even if Short were carrying on, the organisers could hardly have invited Howell but not Gawain - that was controversial enough last year.

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Tue May 01, 2012 5:21 pm

Don't really like saying it but I don't think Howell should be invited this year- he'd be too far out of his depth. If they're going with the 'Four English' policy I'd try and get Sadler.

Gavin Strachan

Post by Gavin Strachan » Sat May 05, 2012 10:35 pm

Mark Howitt wrote:Don't really like saying it but I don't think Howell should be invited this year- he'd be too far out of his depth. If they're going with the 'Four English' policy I'd try and get Sadler.
Unless Sadler commits himself to a professional outlook on chess I doubt it is to happen. He seems to have quite a bohemiam outlook on chess now and this serves him well looking at his recent results. I fear that if he started taking it more seriously he would come unstuck. Either way I like his style! Jones should be picked. The hype around Howell reminds of what Sadler had when he was a junior.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue May 08, 2012 5:57 pm

In the latest edition of Chess, Malcolm confirms
(1) the inclusion of Gawain
(2) that Nigel is likely not to play, but be a commentator
(3) that they are trying for the Olympia venue again
Also he suggests that there will be more Junior events running alongside.

Otherwise they will be repeating the 9 player format with parallel subsidiary events.