Comparing amateur chess with amateur cricket

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John McKenna

Re: Comparing amateur chess with amateur cricket

Post by John McKenna » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:44 pm

MSoszynski >How is chess different from any other human group activity... ?<
It has always seemed to me that chessplayers are at a slight angle to the universal. Einstein said words to that effect when asked about Em. Lasker, I believe.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:53 pm

Roger, I can never remember a fine being levied. Someone else will, no doubt. Drop along to the TVL AGM, if you like, and point out that adjudications are one of the factors that prevent your club from associating with the league. You never know what could happen.

Malcolm Clarke

Post by Malcolm Clarke » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:46 pm

I have been a cricket scorer in 1996 and I think that the parameters associated with the two are very different.

I do a lot of the paperwork for my team and not only do I have to send the full result details by fax or other means on the day of the match, but have to ensure umpire assessment forms are completed by my own team, and ground reports are completed for away games. We get fined for failing to supply the latter in good time as well, and the umpires also have to submit paperwork.

Personally speaking having to spend several hours of my day ensuring the score is accurate, you also want the league to receive accurate information of the game and the extra work is not particularly a chore. How I expect that if venue and arbiter assessments were required for chess events there are many that would regard them as either a chore or impractical.

I personally think that each organisation must identify which approach is the most appropriate for the culture they represent. Certainly different chess competitions and different cricket competitions vary in their degree of competitiveness, and there needs to be a sensible balance between having clearly defined rules and restrictive practices.

I have scored in cricket matches in which Jimmy Adams (current Hampshire captain), Danny Briggs and Chris Tremlett have been on opposing teams at different times, and the league is reasonably competitive, and I think that is generally accepted by the people who play in it. In my own chess league there are some players that take the game very seriously and others who play solely for enjoyment and it is not always easy balancing the two approaches.