British Championships 2012 - Games

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
JustinHorton

Re: British Championships 2012 - Games

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:23 pm

By the way, did anybody find out whether Danny Gormally resigned or lost on time yesterday?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:25 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Is there a site where you can go and play over games from previous rounds? I could download the pgns, but before I do that, I wanted to check I'm not missing something on the official site. I know some events and sites do provide online playback facilities so that casual browsers can play through games from previous rounds without having to download a pgn for each round.
Not that I know of, the pgns from round 2 onwards didn't have any moves when I tried them this morning but I believe they are a work in progress.
Oh. That's strange. Back to watching the Olympics instead then. (The game I really wanted to play through was the one where people were talking about some f4 move and some bishop being on the wrong diagonal - frustrating to read the thread on that and not have the game or positions to refer to.)

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:32 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Is there a site where you can go and play over games from previous rounds? I could download the pgns, but before I do that, I wanted to check I'm not missing something on the official site. I know some events and sites do provide online playback facilities so that casual browsers can play through games from previous rounds without having to download a pgn for each round.
Not that I know of, the pgns from round 2 onwards didn't have any moves when I tried them this morning but I believe they are a work in progress.
Oh. That's strange. Back to watching the Olympics instead then. (The game I really wanted to play through was the one where people were talking about some f4 move and some bishop being on the wrong diagonal - frustrating to read the thread on that and not have the game or positions to refer to.)
Something like this:

AustinElliott

Post by AustinElliott » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:32 pm

Yes, speedy win for Jack Rudd.

Do I gather from what Simon Williams and others have posted that Gordon-Harvey is all GM opening prep? They did seem to be setting a cracking pace.

Hawkins-Mackle is another 'Death or Glory' outing, at least to my inexpert eye.

For 'SniperWatch' aficionados, the Sniper Chief (Aka Charlie Storey) is closer to Sniper territory today as White, with g3, Bg2 AND c4, though he didn't play c4 until the 4th move.

PS And what's up with forum favourite Keith Arkell? Playing the Benoni as Black??! Allowing White a passed d-pawn? on move 15?! Lodging a Knight into f4? Has Keith become Mikhail Tal for the day?
Last edited by AustinElliott on Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sebastian Stone

Post by Sebastian Stone » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:35 pm

chessbomb.com

You don't even have to register!
AKA Scott Stone

"Give a man fire and he's warm for a day, set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."

That's Mr Stone to you, f**kface.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:39 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote: Something like this:
Thanks. Does it matter whose move it is?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:47 pm

Oh yes.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:47 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Thanks. Does it matter whose move it is?
Most definitely, Black had just recaptured after swapping queens on e4, presumably believing the position drawn.

I understood the rule of thumb to be that connected pawns needed to be moderately well advanced for black to have difficulty holding. In my defence so did Tarrasch when I looked it up later, but Averbakh did talk about the problem of a badly place bishop.

As Tom said on the right diagonal White has no way to both advance and avoid the bishop giving itself up for the pawns. On the diagonal it is on, the sacrifice can be avoided. The surprising bit is Black can't get himself reorganised in time, even with the pawns so far back

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:54 pm

Good stuff - but will we remember it next time

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:58 pm

While you'd expect an Osbourne-Chapman game to be played on theoretical and tactical knife edge, what they've actually produced is still remarkable.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:59 pm

JustinHorton wrote:Jack's done for the day.
It's been a slightly ridiculous week even by Jack's standards. Has a single one of his games lasted more than two hours?!

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:01 pm

Radha Jain is a pawn up for nothing v Don Mason - who had started this week drawing as Black with Richard Palliser and Stuart Conquest.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:24 pm

and now she has won! A superb finish to a week that had started so unfortunately!

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:28 pm

By the way, Kanwal's game seems not to be working (again) - but if she had advanced c5-c4 asap in the k + p ending, she would seem to be holding James Adair.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:29 pm

12.g4 in my game is apparently a novelty. You wouldn't think that of a move that obvious.