Peace - how do we get it?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Krishna Shiatis

Peace - how do we get it?

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:11 pm

I think that Carl is correct that some things are going round in circles. There have been some attempts to broker peace but they have broken down unsuccessfully. I believe we are at a crossroads. We have several options:

a) Allow 1 or both parties to resign. I (and I think also a few others from the comments on this forum) do not wish for this.
b) Continue on with both sides squabbling and fighting ad infinitum.
c) Get them to meet face to face and broker a peace.

I had thought just before the London Classic that they were going to meet and fix things, but it never happened. I am now asking both sides to consider a meeting again with somebody they both consider to be neutral and to have another go at peace for the sake of chess here.

Please do fix things.

PaulJackson

Re: Peace - how do we get it?

Post by PaulJackson » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:14 pm

Krishna Shiatis wrote:I think that Carl is correct that some things are going round in circles. There have been some attempts to broker peace but they have broken down unsuccessfully. I believe we are at a crossroads. We have several options:

a) Allow 1 or both parties to resign. I (and I think also a few others from the comments on this forum) do not wish for this.
b) Continue on with both sides squabbling and fighting ad infinitum.
c) Get them to meet face to face and broker a peace.

I had thought just before the London Classic that they were going to meet and fix things, but it never happened. I am now asking both sides to consider a meeting again with somebody they both consider to be neutral and to have another go at peace for the sake of chess here.

Please do fix things.
or d) put them both on the Jeremy Kyle show :)

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:44 pm

Krishna Shiatis wrote:I am now asking both sides to consider a meeting again ....
Unfortunately, however well-intended it is, I doubt your appeal will have any impact whatsoever on future events.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:41 pm

Possibly by not discussing it endlessly on this forum? I'm as guilty as anyone of participating in such threads, but they do get a tad repetitive. What really needs to happen is for people to lay out their views (on some other website) and refer to that, and not repeat the same arguments here. Only bring it up again when something new happens.

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:17 pm

If you have two (adult) children who you care about and they are not getting along, would you

a) Let them fight and watch, while it gets continually worse in the hope that it might get better eventually.
b) Get them together and resolve the problem before it becomes much worse.

Maybe this is an incorrect analogy, but surely (b) has to be the best option for everyone?

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:23 pm

Krishna Shiatis wrote:If you have two (adult) children who you care about and they are not getting along, would you

a) Let them fight and watch, while it gets continually worse in the hope that it might get better eventually.

Maybe this is an incorrect analogy, but surely (b) has to be the best option for everyone?
Or (c) let the fight happen by proxy on an internet forum?

David Lettington

Post by David Lettington » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:24 pm

Krishna Shiatis wrote:If you have two (adult) children who you care about and they are not getting along, would you

In principle, I agree. However, if they are both adults then they have to want to compromise. You can't make them resolve the problem if neither party wishes to give way.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:28 pm

Krishna Shiatis wrote:If you have two (adult) children who you care about and they are not getting along, would you ....
Besides what David said above, this assumes that the two (adult) chlidren are The Problem. In our case they are not, they are merely the current presenting problem.

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:32 pm

I think that they both want peace, but both are unsure about how to actually achieve this.

So much has happened and it is at this point a little difficult to get past some of the details.

The solution is for them to meet and talk with a neutral person to mediate. There is no other way. I think that compromise/ a possible truce is very much possible if they would only meet.

If I was mediating, I would not let them leave until it was fixed. My experience is limited to kids, so I am not offering myself, it is just the approach which I think is best.

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:32 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Krishna Shiatis wrote:If you have two (adult) children who you care about and they are not getting along, would you ....
Besides what David said above, this assumes that the two (adult) chlidren are The Problem. In our case they are not, they are merely the current presenting problem.
One step at a time....

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:48 pm

Krishna Shiatis wrote:
Jonathan Bryant wrote:
One step at a time....

Yes but you're coming at it from the wrong direction. Still, if it's any consolation, my solution won't make a blind bit of difference to anybody either.

William Metcalfe

Post by William Metcalfe » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:48 pm

We need to keep as many talented people as possable in high profile jobs it would be a huge step backwards if we lost people like Lara.I am not sure if people realise just how much work she has done in the last 12 months to make the last champs a success.And to make it all run as smoothly as possable.It would be a huge shame to loose her experiance and knowlage.
I am speaking here for myself and not the NCCU which i am now president of

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:56 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Yes but you're coming at it from the wrong direction....
I get that a lot. Sometimes you have to approach a problem from a different direction in order to fix it. Is that not usual in chess also - that if one plan does not work, then try another from a different direction? It can not be wrong if it works.

I do agree with William that we can not afford to lose Lara and IMO nor can we afford to lose anyone else.

So why not just meet up and have a go at fixing things? It may never be fully resolved in every detail, but at least a truce and who knows with time?

William Metcalfe

Post by William Metcalfe » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:18 pm

We need to see what happens in Oct after the elections people need to get together and talk.The lack of comunication from certain people has allowed this boil to fester after oct it needs to be lanced for good.
I am speaking here for myself and not the NCCU which i am now president of

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:30 pm

William Metcalfe wrote:The lack of communication .... has allowed this boil to fester.....
Indeed. For far too long.

They should have talked/fixed things/made a truce at the London Classic. It might have made this summer a little more peaceful.