Kramnik 10/1 to win game 7 with White (or even with Black!)

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
David Robertson

Re: Kramnik 10/1 to win game 7 with White (or even with Black!)

Post by David Robertson » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:21 pm

The bookies now go 900/1 on Anand to win the championship. £900 wins you a quid if Anand halves one of the next three games. If you still fancy Kramnik though, you can get a pitiful 50/1 he wins the rest

http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=go ... pe_id=8868

Now if those Indian betting syndicates were to join forces with the Russian mafia...... :shock:

David

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:12 pm

Anyone bet on win for Kramnik today?

Nice to see him win a game and keep the match alive, but would be a major surprise if he won the next game with black

Whatever Kramniks health situation, the major difference in this match has been that until today, Anand has not made a serious mistake, playing at a higher level than anyone has managed in the last couple of WC matches, so he will be a deserving champion

Hope he beats Topalov too
Any postings on here represent my personal views

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:24 am

What a win does for prospects and odds!

You can get 5/1 Kramnik the win today, and 14/1 he retains the title (clipped from 50/1). Meanwhile odds on Anand winning the title have lengthened massively - from 900/1 on to 100/1 on :D

Hard to find good value in that lot. Probably 2/1 on the draw is best; or even 2/1 Anand the win if Kramnik overpresses.

But if Kramnik were to win today.... oh my goodness..... :shock: :shock: :shock:

David

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:25 pm

David Robertson wrote:But if Kramnik were to win today.... oh my goodness..... :shock: :shock: :shock:
It would be a shock indeed, as they're not playing today.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:26 pm

Meanwhile, guesses as to the opening may be deposited here.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:08 pm

David Robertson wrote:You can get 5/1 Kramnik the win today, and 14/1 he retains the title...
Not easy to retain a title he doesn't hold.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:52 pm

Yes, that point was made earlier on the Atticus forum. I gave my response there, the gist of which was that I (for what it's worth) regard the matchplay, mano-a-mano champion as the real deal, not this half-baked FIDE tournament business. I hope Anand retains his FIDE title and wins the classical title too, ending all arguments

David

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:07 pm

David Robertson wrote:Yes, that point was made earlier on the Atticus forum. I gave my response there, the gist of which was that I (for what it's worth) regard the matchplay, mano-a-mano champion as the real deal, not this half-baked FIDE tournament business. I hope Anand retains his FIDE title and wins the classical title too, ending all arguments
I agree, with the sole reservation that when Kramnik agreed to put his title on the line in a tournament and lost it, my own preference for the match tradition (and anyone else's preference or opinion) was made irrelevant by the plain fact that no one with a claim to the title disputed the identity of the champion. There was only one game in town, and Anand won it.

The best thing about the current match is that it will finally put an end to the nonsense that began in 1993.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:16 pm

Hope you are right about the nonsense and congratulations to Anand for winning the match

Hope there's no Bulgarian nonsense in 2009
Any postings on here represent my personal views

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:05 pm

In one sense, the nonsense did end briefly when Kramnik beat Topalov in 2006. He was the one and only champion in town then. But unluckily for him he was obliged by FIDE to put his title up for grabs at the silly and unnecessary Mexico tournament in 2007. One or two of Vlad's 'great predecessors' might well have baulked at that and played politics but, happily for the unity of the chess world, Vlad was big enough to see the whole thing through to the end. This match has been one of two gentlemen - Vishy a fantastic winner and Vlad a sporting loser. We should cherish both of them.

But, of course, the irony of having two gracious world title rivals is that it translates to practically zero coverage of the match in the general media!
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:04 pm

Indeed, the toilet business got reported on the BBC two years ago. As I found out, putting Kramnik in the BBC news search function.

I don't think that's just a chess thing, it's a news thing but when it's the difference, not between differnt amounts of coverage, but between coverage and no-coverage, then it's pitiful.

I think I might knock my head against that particular brick wall a little more, just to see how it feels.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com