Membership confirmation emails not received

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Rob Thompson

Membership confirmation emails not received

Post by Rob Thompson » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:15 pm

I have recently had people asking me why they haven't received email confirmations for their membership. Upon being linked to the membership list they have been satisfied that their membership had been processed, but still are concerned that this means they haven't received passwords for ChessMoves. How would one go about obtaining this information?
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

John Upham

Re: Membership confirmation emails not received

Post by John Upham » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:42 pm

Rob Thompson wrote:I have recently had people asking me why they haven't received email confirmations for their membership. Upon being linked to the membership list they have been satisfied that their membership had been processed, but still are concerned that this means they haven't received passwords for ChessMoves. How would one go about obtaining this information?
I would contact the ECF Office on 01424 775222 and ask the very same questions. Membership person is Christine Carcas who is very helpful.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:44 pm

Why not ask the Office?

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:10 pm

I've just signed up number 2 son as a junior Silver member. I got an email from Paypal confirming payment and a nice email from the Office giving me his new membership number and his password for Chess Moves.

So if there was a problem, perhaps it's been fixed?

The whole operation ran very smoothly and took only a couple of minutes.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:43 pm

Mike Truran wrote:The whole operation ran very smoothly and took only a couple of minutes.
Obviously for some people (hopefully the majority) things went smoothly, but that should be a given. No, really. There should be no need to say "it went OK for me". That's not the point of raising complaints (though I agree the first port of call should have been to ask the ECF Office directly, or keep the questions general to find out what the expected confirmations are, as I did in an earlier thread). What should happen is that the ECF Board should be given a report by those who administer the scheme, and that report should give statistics on what percentage of membership applications encountered this sort of problem.

I wasn't even aware that a password for Chessmoves was available, so I'm now going to have to chase this up again, which is tiresome. I suspect, though, that some of these problems arise from people who renew memberships, but for whom the ECF Office don't have an e-mail address (is the online system passing new e-mail addresses to the ECF?). In my case, I think the e-mail address the ECF had for me got mislaid or was never there (I pointed this out, but should have asked for the whole process to be checked to see if anything got missed out).

In the interests of accessibility, I should point out that it is not necessary to phone the ECF Office - you can in fact e-mail them. I was going to point to the standard 'contacts' webpage, but they don't seem to have that (the contact details at the bottom of every page on the site can't be conveniently linked to). The closest I could find was this:

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/?page_id=79

That includes the Office e-mail address, which is office 'AT' englishchess.org.uk

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:52 pm

It was not a complaint, more asking what information I'm supposed to pass on to the people asking me. This question has now been answered (the email address of the ECF office), for which I thank the respondents.
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:00 pm

Rob Thompson wrote:It was not a complaint, more asking what information I'm supposed to pass on to the people asking me. This question has now been answered (the email address of the ECF office), for which I thank the respondents.
Glad the e-mail address information was of some help. The earlier discussion on this topic starts here:

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php ... 105#p99081