Chessboxing being streamed now

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Richard Bates

Re: Chessboxing being streamed now

Post by Richard Bates » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:34 pm

It's a bit like watching 8 year olds with no idea about how much time they have! Either that or they really don't want to do too much boxing.

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:39 pm

Its easy to be cynical about chessboxing, but I'm finding it thoroughly entertaining.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:11 pm

Easy to be cynical, indeed.

It's essentially boxing with a conceit of chess lobbed into the inter-round break. The parading girls with the round-boards, the blokish audience: this is just boxing, replete with sweat and sexism.

Not clear why anyone should find it engaging to watch two blokes, bad at both disciplines, claiming to excel at an artificial hybrid. This is purely tabloid entertainment - for those of limited discernment. Likely make someone rich therefore.

Elitist? Moi? Guilty as charged!

IanDavis

Post by IanDavis » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:29 pm

Wouldn't chess mud wrestling be more popular?

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:36 pm

I am hoping to persuade a 4NCL team mate (Matt Wilson) to trial Chess Table-Tennis with myself. I will attempt to create an appropriate video.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:44 am

Umm, out of curiosity, I watched some of it.

I wondered what would have happened had a contestant with a lost chess position stalled and refused to play moves on the chessboard in order to have a chance in the boxing.

I heard a reference to celebrities in the audience - someone from 'X factor' and the Times chess correspondent, Raymond Keene.

I heard Tim Woolgar exclaim (during the hola hoop display): "I just can't get enough of this hot hula action".

A bit ridiculous really.

Brendan O'Gorman

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:56 am

Angus French wrote:Umm, out of curiosity, I watched some of it.

I wondered what would have happened had a contestant with a lost chess position stalled and refused to play moves on the chessboard in order to have a chance in the boxing.

-- Text Omitted --
He'd lose on time, of course.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:58 am

Brendan O'Gorman wrote:
Angus French wrote:Umm, out of curiosity, I watched some of it.

-- Text Omitted --
He'd lose on time, of course.
Prehaps ultimately, yes, but maybe not before several rounds of boxing and the chance of a knockout in that discipline.

Thomas Rendle

Post by Thomas Rendle » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:33 am

John Upham wrote:I am hoping to persuade a 4NCL team mate (Matt Wilson) to trial Chess Table-Tennis with myself. I will attempt to create an appropriate video.
Chess Table-Tennis is something I'd quite like to try but I fear Table-Tennis rather lacks a Knock-out blow, unless you try something like 'first to check-mate or build a 10 point lead'

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:34 am

As Tom suggests, in Chess Table-Tennis, should a player should win a set 11-0 then he or she could be deemed winner of the game.

Normally a top-level game consists of 7 sets of first to 11 points (used to be 21 before 2000) or winning by a two point margin if 10-10 is reached. League matches normally consists of 5 sets.
The regulations balls are now 40mm (since 2000) in diameter whereas they used to be 38mm. This is slow the game down. Some ridiculous rubbers have been banned and, personally, I'd like to see long pimples and anti- banned. There have been calls to go to 44mm balls which will suit slower and weaker players better but is not good for the game.

Table-tennis at the highest levels is very sporting indeed and the Chinese players will net a ball on serve should they be leading 10-0 so as to avoid an 11-0 whitewash.

Having watched the chess boxing bouts last night I would agree with Ben that it is very easy to be cynical about chess boxing.

As an aside I will stick my neck out and predict that before too long Chinese players will be World Champions in both men and women's table-tennis and chess.

Interestingly, Wang Hao is ranked world #4 for table-tennis @ 2792. In chess Wang Hao is #15 @ 2748
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Matt Read

Post by Matt Read » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:16 pm

The rules were posted on the Livestream page for the Chessboxing account. http://www.dailymotion.com/chessboxinguk#video=xu85xc

It outlined the rules regarding a draw: "If a drawn position is reached on the chessboard, the competitors will return to the ring for one final round of boxing. At the end of this round the judges will make a decision based upon punches landed throughout the bout. If a draw occurs in the eleventh round of the contest the judges’ decision is made immediately, without further boxing".

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:48 pm

Video report from the BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19927902

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:30 am

Just stumbled across "International Chessboxing" showing now on Frontrunner, an obscure Freeview channel (91). Featuring Stuart "the Fox" Conquest as chess MC ;)

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:59 am

Richard Bates wrote:Just stumbled across "International Chessboxing" showing now on Frontrunner, an obscure Freeview channel (91). Featuring Stuart "the Fox" Conquest as chess MC ;)
On again tomorrow at 5.30pm apparently.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:14 am

Richard Bates wrote:an obscure Freeview channel (91)
Very obscure, I don't get anything between 85 and 95.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.