Chess Players Requests

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Jonathan Bryant

Re: Chess Players Requests

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:38 pm

Michael J R White wrote: please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I've done a standard search on the internet and can't find anything.
It was discussed by Andrew Farthing on this Forum.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:54 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote: It was discussed by Andrew Farthing on this Forum.
In this thread I think.
http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2864

This starts with cryptic comments until the story unfolds. Names were never mentioned for reasons suggested in the thread.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:33 pm

Michael J R White wrote: I stopped reading shortly after Martin Crichton's comments as, by this stage, the steps taken by the ECF were analogous to what my previous post stated.
I think this is unfair. IIRC Andrew explained that there was actually no mechanism in place to ban anybody for anything. Maybe you didn't get that far.

Although I would have been in favour of a ban had their been a procedure of implementing such a measure (though certainly not a life ban as some were calling for at the time), I'm far from convinced that naming and shaming children is a good policy. For anything.

{Edit: I see from a Mars Bar related post that I wrote at the time -http://streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.c ... thief.html - that Andrew Farthing was one of two people who brought the incident to my attention in the first place. A bit much to say that the ECF did nothing to publicise it, then}

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:21 pm

Michael J R White wrote: An explanation that there was "actually no mechanism in place to ban anybody for anything" seriously undermines chess as a competition and doesn't really prevent the ECF from following a relevant mechanism, e.g. the Olympiad case.
That's actually good, rather than bad, since it prevents ECF directors or officials pursuing vendettas against players hostile to them. Think Atalik and his relationship with the Turkish President, or some Indian players and their relationship with the AICF.

Paul Dupré

Post by Paul Dupré » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:08 pm

Bill Porter wrote:I'd be even more interested to learn if Philip Nižetić actually exists.....
No, he doesn't - however Philip Nižetić does exist.

I don't know any reason why his name should not be spelt correctly in the ECF Grading List, like mine is.

Paul Dupré
Any postings on here represent the truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God,
...and by the way the world is flat.