Chess Players Requests

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Sean Hewitt

Chess Players Requests

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:14 pm

Sent: 11 October 2012 12:46
To: Sean Hewitt
Subject: FAO Sean Hewitt

Dear Mr Hewitt,

I, together with several other chess players I know, have just recently got wind of your forthcoming chess tournament in High Wycombe. We are of varying strengths and would be most interested in participating in both your FIDE Open and FIDE Challengers sections.

However, before we can confirm our entries, I am writing on behalf of all of us to request your confirmation of three crucial points that would otherwise prevent us from entering.

First, we expect absolutely no pairings with computers (I believe this practice has not been seen for at least 20 years or so).

Second, we expect absolutely no pairings with female players (I believe there are still some so-called tournaments that indulge in this perverse practice, something that may have a place in a circus, but not in organized sports events; men's and women's events, like all other singles sports, are always strictly segregated).

Third, some of us, myself included, have surnames originating abroad, and we naturally expect our names to be respected and not subject to the routine discourtesy that seems to be the norm in the UK ("Nizetic", for example, is absolutely not my name).

I realize that these points ought to be taken for granted, but we haev learned not make assumptions, as this frequently leads to shock!

Finally. one of us is a native of Gibraltar, but your form does not include it!

Thank you for your attention

Philip Nižetić
Last edited by Carl Hibbard on Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: A private email address was removed

Adam Raoof

Re: Chess Players Requests

Post by Adam Raoof » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:23 pm

I would be interested in reading Sean's reply.... if it's printable.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Bill Porter

Post by Bill Porter » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:26 pm

I'd be even more interested to learn if Philip Nižetić actually exists.....

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:29 pm

Bill Porter wrote:I'd be even more interested to learn if Philip Nižetić actually exists.....
Yes, he does.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:29 pm

Bill Porter wrote:I'd be even more interested to learn if Philip Nižetić actually exists.....
Oh yes, in the past he's played in many of my events.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

IanDavis

Post by IanDavis » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:30 pm

You, at the least, delete the email address, and change the name, before posting

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:34 pm

IanDavis wrote:You, at the least, delete the email address, and change the name, before posting
Why? Do you think his request is reasonable?

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:35 pm

I think his third request is reasonable. His other two... not so much.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:36 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:I would be interested in reading Sean's reply.... if it's printable.
I hope it makes you laugh!
Sent: 11 October 2012 18:58
To: Philip N
Subject: Re: FAO Sean Hewitt

Dear Mr Nižetić,

Thanks for your well thought out letter regarding High Wycombe. It would be great to have you playing.

I note that you are not currently an ECF member. You will first need to join the ECF http://www.englishchess.org.uk/?page_id=20558 before we can consider your entry.

Let me know your ECF membership number and then we can taken things from there.

Best wishes

Sean

Ray Sayers

Post by Ray Sayers » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:40 pm

As Blackadder put it: 'Sensible policies for a happier Britain!'. (Actually it was Prince George but you get my drift).

Deadpan mode.

IanDavis

Post by IanDavis » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:58 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
IanDavis wrote:You, at the least, delete the email address, and change the name, before posting
For all I know he was taking the piss. That doesn't change the fact that it was a private email, and that there is no need to publish the name or email address. :D

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:11 am

IM Jack Rudd wrote:I think his third request is reasonable. His other two... not so much.
No pairings against computers is reasonable and standard practice. The otherwise excellent ECF grading site doesn't do characters from high numbers in the standard US/UK mapping, so request 3 is a difficult one. Perhaps Swiss Perfect can handle it.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:27 am

I am reminded of Tom Leher's individualist friend Henry, who he spelled it H-E-N-3-R-Y. The 3 was silent.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:15 am

IanDavis wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote:
For all I know he was taking the ****. That doesn't change the fact that it was a private email, and that there is no need to publish the name or email address. :D
I thought that too, which is why I responded in the way that I did. His subsequent response convinced me otherwise.

Outrageous sexist comments such as this have no place in chess, or in society.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:43 am

Paul Cooksey wrote:I really wouldn't want to defend those views. But without wishing to sound preachy - which I probably will - publishing a private email, regardless of the contents, is just wrong in most circumstancs. I'd be less willing to email Sean in the role as non-exec director of the ECF if I thought he might publish my mail.

Commenting on an outrageous attitude, while retaining anonymity, fine. But identifying him doesn't seem right.
I've never published an email before in my life, but these comments are so outrageous that, in my opinion, it is in the wider chess interest to publish this persons views. Annonymising them would just hides them away.

I wouldn't publish something just because I didn't agree with it. Hence correspondence between Roger Edwards and myself remains private.