Junior squad/Kasparov simul in 1986

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
LawrenceCooper

Re: Junior squad/Kasparov simul in 1986

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:27 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:17 pm
GK said that the loss to Hamburg made him realise the necessity to prepare for individual opponents. From then onwards ...

I saw some videos a few years ago of GK playing the US juniors; perhaps they are still available on youtube? He was ground by Wolff, but won 4-2 overall. The main drama came when an opponent forced an early draw by repetition as White in an open sicilian. GK had prepared the slightly risky line as Black, and simply assumed that, as white, his opponent would not be satisfied with an immediate draw. Wrongly so, and when his opponent tried to claim a draw, GK tried to stop him, saying that this was (for his opponent) an exceptional opportunity to play the world champion, and he simply had to play. As for the opponent, he later commented that obviously GK had prepared this line, risky or not, so what fool would play along?

Well, dear forumites, what do you think?
I think it depends on the line. If it was 6 Be3 Ng4 7 Bc1 Nf6 8 Be3 etc then that would be a wasted opportunity. If it was some sacrificial line ending in perpetual then that is more understandable.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:37 pm

Some (all?) of the video of the US Juniors simul may be here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6rUMfsOQIA

EDIT: The 'Edelman' moment is at about 13:00 in that video. Kasparov's reaction is hilarious to watch.

From the link above, posted again here:

https://en.chessbase.com/post/american- ... us-juniors

American Gambit: Kasparov vs US Juniors

Edelman,Daniel (2360) - Kasparov,Garry (2750) [B33]
New York sim New York, 1988

Kasparov repeats moves, expecting his opponent to deviate [...] White can repeat and take the draw, or play on with a deviation that leads to an unclear position without a clear advantage. Watch Edelman's face when Kasparov plays 13...Qd8. After some thought he takes the draw: 14.Bg5 ½-½. Kasparov is deeply upset: "You have white, you have to play. That is my opinion, sorry. When I was young I would never have missed a chance to play the World Champion." He offers Edelman the chance to continue, but after consultation Sophia signals that the draw is taken.
EDIT: The Wolff moment is from 17:50 in that video:
...you see Patrick Wolff with his at the time trademark hat putting the pressure on Kasparov. Watch him glare at his opponent and then play 22.Qh6-d2, knowing that he is winning.
Games are here:

https://en.chessbase.com/portals/4/file ... imul01.htm

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:34 am

That documentary was shown on channel 4 ages ago, I remember watching it.