Is it possible to throttle back Houdini?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Paul McKeown

Re: Is it possible to throttle back Houdini?

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:12 pm

Thanks, Dave, but even setting the engine to run on one core only doesn't really solve the problem, as that core just becomes a hot spot.

The freeware program "Battle Encoder Shirase" does seem to be very satisfactory at the moment; it allows me to tune the rate at which the engine uses all the cores, so I can set it low whilst I am working on the PC and set it rather higher when I'm away, whilst completely avoiding the problem of the engine running the processor chip too hot.

Dave Ewart

Post by Dave Ewart » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:48 pm

Paul, good, glad you have a solution. For what it's worth, and I'm sure you realise this anyway, running at 100% all-cores CPU usage ought not to cause adverse effects: it does sound that, if this happens on your PC, there is a cooling fault of some sort or the cooling setup is simply not adequate. Agree that this would be a major faff to fix, though ;-)

MikeTasker

Post by MikeTasker » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:53 pm

Paul McKeown wrote: Don't know whether it's possible to burn a house down with a PC, but it's not an experiment I'm keen on trying out! :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i04p7nQZ ... re=related

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:18 pm

Cleared out the dust from between the vanes of the processor chip cooling, seems to have done the trick. Now runs stable at 100% on all four cores without overheating. Seems to top out at a comfortable 68 degrees Celsius, PC noise a mere background hum, even after running Houdini for 3 hours. Glad I did the work on finding out how to limit the CPU quota, though, as I can still set a quota to 85% and leave the thing to run overnight without worrying.

Nick Murphy

Post by Nick Murphy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:51 pm

Dave Ewart wrote:If Houdini has 'UCI engine' configuration options, then you ought to be able to specify the maximum number of threads, i.e. CPU cores in this context. If you set that to be <4, then it won't use all your cores. Perhaps try setting it to 1?
Exactly. You can configure all multicore engines in their own settings to use as many cores as you like. Limit it to one core, and you should be fine.

You can set priority to "below normal" in the Fritz or ChessBase interface (though I think you said you did that already)

Also, you can set the priority to low in Windows task manager. This should have you running nice and cool while still getting GM level analysis :)
The Voice of Chessbase:
http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6105
Hendon Chess Club / Golders Green Rapidplay
http://www.goldersgreenchess.blogspot.com
"I don't believe in intuition, but I've got a funny feeling that one day I will..."

Dave Ewart

Post by Dave Ewart » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:08 pm

Nick Murphy wrote:...you can set the priority to low ...
Technically, 'low priority' doesn't mean "use less CPU". If nothing else is running, low priority will still use 100% (or 400% for quad core), same as normal priority. Priority just affects behaviour relating to other demands on the CPU.

Using low priority is helpful if you don't want the analysis to take over the ability of other applications to get CPU time when they demand it. And as such, 'low priority' is usually a good idea in most circumstances.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:40 pm

Nick Murphy wrote:You can set priority to "below normal" in the Fritz or ChessBase interface (though I think you said you did that already)

Also, you can set the priority to low in Windows task manager. This should have you running nice and cool while still getting GM level analysis :)
Setting the priority in the interface and setting it in the OS is exactly the same thing.

It pretty much misses the point altogether, though. It doesn't do anything at all, except set the level at which the process can be interrupted by other processes. What it certainly does not do is cap the utilisation of the CPU.

Sorry.

Nick Murphy

Post by Nick Murphy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:52 pm

Upsettingly for me, you're right. I just re-read the thread and I did miss the point! :oops:
The Voice of Chessbase:
http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6105
Hendon Chess Club / Golders Green Rapidplay
http://www.goldersgreenchess.blogspot.com
"I don't believe in intuition, but I've got a funny feeling that one day I will..."

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:20 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote:Whenever I run Houdini (within Chessbase) it seems to crash everything else. I'm guessing it's eating memory - how do I rein it in?
According to ChessBase themselves, you give it a lower priority.

http://www.cruxis.com/chess/manual/inde ... estion.htm
Thanks. Worked perfectly.

Mats Winther

Post by Mats Winther » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:18 pm

An average chess player can make do with a weaker engine than Houdini. When analyzing variants it is necessary to try out different alternatives, according to one's own preferences. One shouldn't just adopt the line that the engine shows. It must be tried out, together with other alternatives. So one should be able to find one's way with a weaker engine. I don't know why an amateur chess player would need Houdini. An amateur needs only learn the relevant variants in the ECO, plus some surprise lines which he has invented himself. When analyzing a game to understand why one lost, any engine will do. Concerning the unusual opening lines, not mentioned in the ECO, it is enough to see what title players have played before in these lines. Databases today contain several millions of games, so one can nearly always find solutions to one's problems there.

In fact, there are today online tree databases that do the job, like 365Chess.com and ChessTempo. However, these are commercial. Figsgames.com has a tree database of FICS games that is free, but rather slow. All games have an average rating above 2000, which are fairly high quality games. My point is that it's better to study games than inventing the wheel again.
M. Winther
Last edited by Mats Winther on Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:52 am

Mats Winther wrote:If one selects standard games and average rating 2000-2200, one gets fairly good quality games.
Games played by players in that range are almost only interesting when they are getting ripped to shreds by much stronger players. The interest is in learning how to exploit their errors.

Mats Winther

Post by Mats Winther » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:35 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:
Mats Winther wrote:If one selects standard games and average rating 2000-2200, one gets fairly good quality games.
Games played by players in that range are almost only interesting when they are getting ripped to shreds by much stronger players. The interest is in learning how to exploit their errors.
These are rapid chess ratings, typically 15 min per player, so many a 2100-2200 player could be an FM. Anyway, I gave the wrong interval. One can select "all" players, which means all over 2000 (lower rated games aren't stored), or one can select 2200-2400 or >2400.

It is useful for getting ideas about openings. Yesterday I met a player who positionally refuted the variant 1.e4 d6 2. d4 e5. I was convinced that this was playable, but now I know better.
M. Winther

Dan O'Dowd

Post by Dan O'Dowd » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:56 pm

Mats Winther wrote:
Paul McKeown wrote:
These are rapid chess ratings, typically 15 min per player, so many a 2100-2200 player could be an FM. Anyway, I gave the wrong interval. One can select "all" players, which means all over 2000 (lower rated games aren't stored), or one can select 2200-2400 or >2400.

It is useful for getting ideas about openings. Yesterday I met a player who positionally refuted the variant 1.e4 d6 2. d4 e5. I was convinced that this was playable, but now I know better.
M. Winther
Off-topic but would you post that game? I had a feeling myself that after 1. e4 e5 2. d4 d6 was unplayable and it'd be nice to see how it works.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:00 pm

Dan O'Dowd wrote: Off-topic but would you post that game? I had a feeling myself that after 1. e4 e5 2. d4 d6 was unplayable and it'd be nice to see how it works.
I cannot recall anyone writing a book on it, but there's over a thousand games where that position has been reached. Most transpose into lines of the Philidor as you would expect. The sequence 1. e4 d6 2. d4 e5 is more common as only a handful of players ever start 1. e4 e5 2. d4.

The sequence 3. Qxd8 Kxd8 is the most likely one to reach positions which cannot be reached from a normal Philidor.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:07 pm

ECO classifies 1e4 d6 2 d4 e5 3 de5 de5 4 Qd8 Kd8 and similar setups as B07 (which includes all Pirc lines without an early g6 and Bg7)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)