The bragging thread

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Leonard Barden

Re: The bragging thread

Post by Leonard Barden » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:21 pm

Nick Ivell wrote: Impressed by this game, I tried to make the gambit work against the late Simon Webb at Islington 1976. He was less accommodating than Nigel in his salad days, and I was smashed. It was the last time I played the gambit in a serious game...
Wouldn't you have played it against Karpov if he had allowed it?

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:25 pm

Nick Ivell wrote:I am going to embarrass Nigel Short by showing a game he played when he was VERY young: Stone v Short, Liverpool 1975 (?):
1-0

I quote from memory, having witnessed the game, and my recollection may be imperfect - but I can vouch for the accuracy of the beautiful finish. Black may have played 20.... Bc5.
Added pgn tags and tided some of the moves.

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:28 pm

Thanks for posting the game in the correct format. Government health warning: I cannot vouch for its perfect accuracy. It is the finish which is indelibly imprinted on my mind.

Karpov? Yes, I probably would have given the Milner-Barry a punt. I do not think he would have been as accommodating as the young Nigel though.

The Stone - Short game was played at one of the many training tournaments held at Bluecoat School in the 1970s. What wonderful tournaments they were. How much must Nigel have learnt from a tonking such as this?

I am not sure the game has ever been published. To Mr Stone the glory! I wish I could remember my own games as well as I remember other peoples'.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:21 pm

Not entirely relevant, but a good and true story...

Civil Service were playing RAF in a match some years ago. An RAF player arrives late, and dashes to the only empty chair, apologises to his opponent, and makes a few hurried moves. When he has recovered his composure, he goes to get a cup of tea, and his captain greets him. The player explains his lateness and then says,

"This old boy seems to know the Milner-Barry Gambit very well."

"That's because you're playing Milner-Barry!"

Player returns to board with a worried look.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:56 pm

I played Sir Stuart in the London League just prior to his death in 1995. He was a frail 87 year old man with a walking stick and was wearing a tweed jacket. I was White and I think it was a Two Knights Defence as I recall and we'd played about 14 moves. A woman came up to him, must have been his grandaughter I guess, and asked him what time he thought he'd be home for tea. He gently turned around to me and then in a deep booming voice that nearly knocked me off my chair said "Do you want a draw?". Before I knew what was happening I'd shaken his hand and reset the pieces. My team mates were not happy but I really couldn't have cared less. It was a real honour to play such a legend.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:19 pm

Those are lovely anecdotes. Given the 1995 reference, I thought it possible a grading reference might still exist, but was only able to find someone who is/was presumably a relative:

http://www.ecfgrading.org.uk/?ref=115591L

The name is "P.S. Thelma Milner-Barry" (his full name was 'Philip Stuart' and his wife's name was Thelma).

More relevant is a nice blog by Steve Giddins from September 2011:

http://stevegiddinschessblog.wordpress. ... ish-chess/

Plus a series of follow-up blogs:

http://stevegiddinschessblog.wordpress. ... -friendly/
http://stevegiddinschessblog.wordpress. ... ostscript/
http://stevegiddinschessblog.wordpress. ... ostscript/

Well worth reading.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:12 pm

That grading reference probably *is* him, and the "Thelma" is just a misprint.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

PeterTurland

Post by PeterTurland » Wed May 15, 2013 8:25 am

Played this last night on FICS, I think I was inspired by MC, also by the fact I picked up my new motability wheels yesterday.

John Philpott

Post by John Philpott » Wed May 15, 2013 10:29 am

Matt Mackenzie wrote
That grading reference probably *is* him, and the "Thelma" is just a misprint
Not necessarily. If I remember correctly, at the time that I first attended BCF Council meetings Lady Thelma Milner-Barry was the Director of Women's Chess.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed May 15, 2013 10:45 am

John Philpott wrote: If I remember correctly, at the time that I first attended BCF Council meetings Lady Thelma Milner-Barry was the Director of Women's Chess.
By the late 1980s, Sir Stuart had a grade of around 170. Whilst Lady Thelma was active in the BCF, I don't recall seeing reports of her playing and the resulting grade.

Mats Winther

Post by Mats Winther » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:34 pm

Lewis Martin

Post by Lewis Martin » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:22 pm

Instructive in what way?

Lewis Martin

Post by Lewis Martin » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:45 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
"These IMs are quite good you know."

No. Never let that thought enter your head. You are doomed if you do.
The moment the game is on all grades are equal and titles are out the window.

Think: "If this IM was really any good they would be a GM'."
They are flawed, there is something they have not yet nailed.
Then even if they are the most famous IM in the world ask them their name.
(that always bring a look of surprise and any before game psyche has gone.)

Ask then their rating and then write 'JOKE' in the space on the scoresheet for the grade.

Don't worry about upsetting them. You will be doing that when you have won the game.
If you worry about upsetting them before the game how are you going to win?
(And anyway, I have hundreds of chess friends and am running out of grey cells to store all their names.)

Now you are in the right frame of mind to play for a win and you won't be agreeing any draws
in won positions to give yourself a false pat on the back.
50% of the game is played before a pawn is pushed.
What a strange way of going about it. If I ever become an IM and you did this against me, I'd find it quite funny and think that you are an odd person.

As for being "in the right frame of mind" to play for a win, that's true in all cases no matter who your opponent is. All these antics just don't work. As for "50% of the game is played before a pawn is pushed." To an extent that is true, but only with regards to being physically fit and mentally fit i.e. you are in the best condition to play the game. Nothing at all to do with psychology which only appears in the amateur level.

Someone not that long ago tried to do various things to try and annoy me during the game while I was thinking. He took out something like 10 pens and tried them to see if they worked. It amused me, and I was partly tempted to give him my spare pen!

But yeah, my game was perfectly smooth after an offbeat opening on my part.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:45 am

Mats Winther wrote:
Lewis Martin wrote:Instructive in what way?

The game above seems instructive to me in the sense that White gave Black a free hand between move 13 and 18 then gave him a helping hand from move 19 to 30 - an object lesson in how not to play competitive chess.

After the same position was reached with 10.Bb2, below, White continued more actively than NN -

Last edited by John McKenna on Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mats Winther

Post by Mats Winther » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:41 am

Lewis Martin wrote:Instructive in what way?
It's instructive positional play. All I did was to build up pressure on the weak points. So I didn't really need to think. The game played itself. Already from the first move I exerted pressure on the weakest point. Then I continued with this throughout the game. Chess is simple: just put pressure on the weak points.
/Mats