Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
J T Melsom

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by J T Melsom » Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:55 pm

William McIlvanney: Chapter 8 Strange Loyalties

I had been like a man in a real war who finds relief in playing chess.

Ian McEwan's protagonist in Sweet Tooth plays chess and captains the school team. ''You must exercise some historical imagination to understand what it meant for a girl in those times to travel to a neighbouring school and knock from his perch some condescending smirking squirt of a boy."

John Swain

Post by John Swain » Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:35 pm

For those who can access ITV Central, chess featured on both the lunchtime news and, in more extended coverage, on the evening news. A news team visited the Nottinghamshire Centenary GM Invitational Tournament yesterday and interviewed Tournament Director Tim Wall, IM Jonah Willow, FM Ankush Khandelwal and two promising Nottinghamshire juniors. The item may be repeated after the main News at Ten this evening.

The four minute clip is about 14 minutes in and is only available for the next 24 hours:
https://www.itv.com/news/central/2023-0 ... 2j9OW3l4zI

There is now a permanent link to the report:
https://www.itv.com/news/central/2023-1 ... tournament
Last edited by John Swain on Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:44 am

CAPTAIN NEWMAN MD 1963, starring Gregory Peck who runs a psychiatric ward for people damaged in conflicts.
One wife comes to visit her husband. Peck expected her to be full of loving kindness.
'INSTEAD SHE BEHAVES LIKE A REFEREE AT A CHESS MATCH'.

Speaking as a chess arbiter, I think that is the funniest of these chess analogies that we collect on this forum.

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:57 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:44 am
CAPTAIN NEWMAN MD 1963, starring Gregory Peck who runs a psychiatric ward for people damaged in conflicts.
One wife comes to visit her husband. Peck expected her to be full of loving kindness.
'INSTEAD SHE BEHAVES LIKE A REFEREE AT A CHESS MATCH'.

Speaking as a chess arbiter, I think that is the funniest of these chess analogies that we collect on this forum.
Re Peck and chess: in 1965, in what would now be called my gap year, I had an English Speaking Union scholarship (no academic prowess required) as an exchange student (already in far too common use for 'pupil') on its scheme between British and American schools. I was assigned to Harvard School (nothing to do with the university) in Coldwater Canyon, Hollywood, Los Angeles. While there I organised a chess team to play against other schools. Carey Peck, son of Gregory, played for us. I never saw or met his famous father. The school has now gone co-ed as Harvard-Westlake on another campus.

I used to send in the solutions to Isaac Kashdan's weekly Los Angeles Times chess competitions in his column, usually two or three-move problems, and unexpectedly had a note from him thanking me for my interest.

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:17 pm

Roland Kensdale wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:32 am
Cute interview with 79 year old Peter Lee and 8 year old Bodhana Sivanandan also showing clips of 3 10 minute games they played. Peter was overtired by the 3rd gsme.

At the Atheneum club.

https://youtu.be/BSzZwRBJVvY?si=yzFYcXHXKr-gpFac
Yesterday in the Sussex v Middlesex match, Bodhana Sivanandan (for Middlesex) played against 80-year old Geoffrey James; I think by ECF ratings, it was our 2nd strongest 80-year old versus our 2nd strongest 8 year old.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:10 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:44 am
'Gregory Peck'
HI Stewart,

I was reading recently that Gregory Peck and Anthony Quinn played chess during the filming of the 'Guns of Navarone.'

I am enjoying reading your 'A Life in Chess' articles in the recent CHESS (October and November 2023). That is quite a shift you have put in on behalf of the game and there is more to come in the December issue.

The November issue has this charming 'Oldie' feel about it. As well a Stewart's memories there is a three page spread on Raymond Keene, then a Chess in the 1980's article by Milos Pavlovic, an article on Blackburne by Julian Way. A piece on Coincidences in Chess that begins; 'The story really begins in 1895.' The last article is by our own John Saunders including a game from 1959. Wonderful reading all round.

You can get a pdf sample here https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0478/ ... 1698840401
which includes in full the Julian Way article on Blackburne.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:30 pm

Three pages devoted to Penguin self-glorification? I will give that a miss thanks :)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:08 pm

HI Matt,

Nowhere near as bad as some might imagine, quite good in fact. (RDK's favourite film is; 'Conan the Barbarian' Ray added the original version, not the remake.) Stewart's memories are well worth the admission fee. But check out the free pdf for a full list of contents good value.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:32 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:08 pm
Stewart's memories are well worth the admission fee.
Is the free article here pretty much the same thing?

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:34 am

Yes pretty much. I wonder if Chessbase will feature the Ray interview with Carl Portman.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:24 am

F1 drivers Leclerc and Gasly
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:47 am

Any postings on here represent my personal views

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:52 pm

10pm tonight BBC 2 - repeat of the 'Red Dwarf' episode featuring the Holly v Queeg chess game.

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:07 pm

I guess this story should come with a Not Suitable For Work (or minors) warning. Interesting that this technique was used to beat a seriously strong player (Daniel Fernandez):
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... aster.html

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:32 pm

Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:07 pm
I guess this story should come with a Not Suitable For Work (or minors) warning. Interesting that this technique was used to beat a seriously strong player (Daniel Fernandez):
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... aster.html
:shock: :shock:

This deserves its own thread. That is some dedication to proving a theory...