Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Nick Grey

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Nick Grey » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:59 pm

Holly Willoughby gets 'thrashed' at chess by eight-year-old son Harry. Nice way to spend the half term break.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:46 am

In John Naughton's Observer review of Kasparov's book he writes:
In contrast to standard tournament practice, for example, IBM did not provide a private “team room” where he could consult with his seconds.
This confuses me a bit and I've not read the book: what is Naughton getting at?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:41 am

Hi Justin,

Sounds odd. In Danny King's book of the match ' Kasparov v Deeper Blue' on page 53 he says

"Kasparov has his own room to which he can retreat if he wants to get a drink or something to eat."

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:14 pm

From the live tennis text reporting (Andy Murray versus Russian player Karen Khachanov):

"Khachanov had his first encounter with the British media on Saturday after he beat John Isner to set up this Murray match, and we learned - it's pronounced Ka-REN, he's a Real Madrid fan, even though he's from Moscow and has trained in Barcelona for the last three three years, and he used to be a demon chess player as a kid."

Googling this, you get the usual media quotes and PR soundbites about some celebrity including chess as an interest. Being a Russian, it is possible that he is: (a) better then most celebrities; (b) more evidence exists out there; or (c) that he is from the wider pool of occasional chess players within the general population, with the media hyping the chess connection, which if anything would happen more for Russians than elsewhere.

No players named Kachanov in the FIDE rating database.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:54 pm

Khachanov quoted in Metro this morning..."When I was young, I was having chess classes. So I like to play chess in my free time. I think it helps maybe".

As a young tennis player he will probably go above Kyle Edmund in the world rankings.

But you may need to go back 10-14 years to find a chess rating. back in those days were there any ratings below 2000?

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:31 pm

Nick Grey wrote:But you may need to go back 10-14 years to find a chess rating. back in those days were there any ratings below 2000?
Yes, my first rating in April 2007 was 1918.
I think back then they went down to 1800.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:55 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote: No players named Kachanov in the FIDE rating database.
I don't think the Soviet Union and by extension the Russian Republic ever had domestic ratings. Rather they worked with a system of titles such as "second category player", "first category players", "candidate master" etc. Arguably it worked well, but what were the rules?

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:40 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
I don't think the Soviet Union and by extension the Russian Republic ever had domestic ratings. Rather they worked with a system of titles such as "second category player", "first category players", "candidate master" etc. Arguably it worked well, but what were the rules?
Perhaps not so different from the old BCF system with grades (1A, 1B, 2A, etc) instead of numeric ratings?

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:02 pm

I cannot imagine that any sports person in the world's top 50 has any time to play competitive chess.
I'll ask a work colleague to ask him when they go on duty at Wimbledon.
I suspect the reference is to casual chess. He is only 21.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:30 pm

Sir George Thomas!

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:39 pm

More recently, Simen Agdestein. World #16 in 1989 while playing football for Norway.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:28 pm

Your attention is drawn to Grandmaster Raymond Keene's Sunday Times Chess Competition No.1066 which will appear this coming Sunday 11th June.

To celebrate the link with Hastings a special prize will be offered. In addition to the regular £20 prize the winner will receive a free entry to any ONE of the Hastings Chess Congress tournaments. For anyone not able to take part in the Congress there will be the option of Tea for Two with the Mayor of Hastings, Cllr. Judy Rogers and a guided tour of Hastings Town Hall at a date to be agreed with the winner.

The Tradewise 93rd Hastings International Chess Congress will take place between 28th December 2017 and 7th January 2018. Full details and the entry form are now available on the Hastings Congress website www.hastingschess.com.

For further information regarding the Congress contact Pam Thomas at [email protected]

I realise possibly not the precise place this should be. But I didn't want to start a new thread. SR

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:23 am

Last night's "On Assignment" on ITV had a feature on chess in Armenia. Juliet Bremner travelled there, and interviewed Aronian, and the Armenian president who talked about being turned on to chess when Petrosian won the World Championship. She also visited a school to see how chess is taught to under 10s, and visited the home of a 9 year old prodigy.

It's available on catch-up TV - it's approximately the last 10 minutes of the programme if you want to fast forward - though you would then miss a feature on the shrinking Dead Sea - nothing to do with chess, but very interesting.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:37 pm

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk ... bout-trump

"Comey just outed the source of reporting on his memos as Dan Richman, a longtime friend who teaches at Columbia University. Comey stated that he leaked the existence of unclassified memos about his Oval Office meetings with Trump to Richman, who then leaked it to the Times. Comey said that he hoped the disclosure would be a way to force the Department of Justice to appoint a special counsel, which is exactly what happened. Comey was playing chess; Trump was playing checkers."

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:05 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:Your attention is drawn to Grandmaster Raymond Keene's Sunday Times Chess Competition No.1066 which will appear this coming Sunday 11th June.

To celebrate the link with Hastings a special prize will be offered. In addition to the regular £20 prize the winner will receive a free entry to any ONE of the Hastings Chess Congress tournaments. For anyone not able to take part in the Congress there will be the option of Tea for Two with the Mayor of Hastings, Cllr. Judy Rogers and a guided tour of Hastings Town Hall at a date to be agreed with the winner.

The Tradewise 93rd Hastings International Chess Congress will take place between 28th December 2017 and 7th January 2018. Full details and the entry form are now available on the Hastings Congress website http://www.hastingschess.com.

For further information regarding the Congress contact Pam Thomas at [email protected]

I realise possibly not the precise place this should be. But I didn't want to start a new thread. SR
You could copy it to somewhere else
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com