Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger de Coverly

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:30 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote: didn’t PE have a family connection to a school that did well in chess competitions? Probably that’s it.
9 wins in 12 years though. Are there that many National school competitions ?

Coached at a school chess club where pupils won individual titles is somewhat more plausible is it not?

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:04 pm

JustinHorton wrote:Oxford United manager lists chess as his second favourite sport.
Felix Magath - manager of Fulham a few years ago - is a genuine chess enthusiast.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

angelaeyton

Post by angelaeyton » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:07 pm

Epsca used to hold a National Small Schools U11 Championship alongside their main National Schools u9/u11 Championships.
The school Phil was involved in won that title many times before going on to win the main u9 and u11 titles for three consecutive years. They also won the ECF u11 schools championships.

Neville Belinfante

Post by Neville Belinfante » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:11 am

ClassicFM, 8-50am yesterday. The presenter announced "And the answer to the quiz is Bobby Fischer". Does anyone know w````hat the question was?

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:01 pm

Neville Belinfante wrote:ClassicFM, 8-50am yesterday. The presenter announced "And the answer to the quiz is Bobby Fischer". Does anyone know what the question was?
The question was: Which well-known world chess champion did nothing without first consulting Stewart Reuben

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:26 pm

David Robertson wrote:
Neville Belinfante wrote:ClassicFM, 8-50am yesterday. The presenter announced "And the answer to the quiz is Bobby Fischer". Does anyone know what the question was?
The question was: Which well-known world chess champion did nothing without first consulting Stewart Reuben
Surely the answer is all of them? :lol:
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:53 am

David Robertson wrote:
David, are you two courting?
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Neville Belinfante

Post by Neville Belinfante » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:12 pm

David, I like your answer.

I have asked Classic FM what the actual question was, but have not had a reply yet.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:34 pm

From yesterday's Sun, find the 7 chess terms. (I found 8. if you include 'net' as in mating net)

It looks like the Sun's Word Search composer thought of doing something about Wimbledon
There is 'BAT', 'NET, and 'TENNID' in there. Then he ran out of ideas and switched to chess.

Enjoy.

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:57 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:From yesterday's Sun, find the 7 chess terms. (I found 8. if you include 'net' as in mating net)

It looks like the Sun's Word Search composer thought of doing something about Wimbledon
There is 'BAT', 'NET, and 'TENNID' in there. Then he ran out of ideas and switched to chess.

Enjoy.
I found 13, or 14 if you include one that appears twice:

ROOK
QUEEN
PAWN
BOARD
GAME
ENDGAME
GAMBIT
CAPTURE
(mating) NET
chess is a WAR game
a knight on the RIM is dim
MAG(azine) - twice
you need GRIT to succeed in chess

There are a few others I could make a case for as well.

I couldn't quite make the arbiters' favourite word, DINNER, though.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:30 pm

Richard James wrote: I couldn't quite make the arbiters' favourite word, DINNER, though.
Without being sure of the rules for making words, what about the rows which run

DRQEWIR
NDINNET ?

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:31 pm

R
DINNER DINNE

Sun's puzzles are a great way of filling a wet and rainy day after watching Chelsea beat Arsenal 3-0 to resume normal service.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:36 pm

Behind the Telegraph paywall, so you only see the first few paragraphs
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07 ... king-dead/

It's by Leon Watson and would appear to make much the same comment as appeared on the ejh blog.

http://lostontime.blogspot.co.uk/2017/0 ... on_20.html

Tristan Clayton

Post by Tristan Clayton » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:02 pm

"Upon whose retirement in 2001 did Stan Vaughan become World Chess Champion, a title he holds to this day?"
Follow me on Twitter @BackRankTristan for a patzer's-eye view of the amateur chess world: 140-character book reviews, ill-informed opinion, cartoon updates from the Back Rank, and other assorted chess rubbish.

http://www.twitter.com/backranktristan

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:12 am

http://tass.ru/sport/4432055

Google translate looks unusually clear.
TASS wrote:
Putin believes that Ilyumzhinov has every chance to retain the post of head of FIDE in the new elections

SOCHI, on July, 21st. / TASS /. The president of the International Chess Federation (FIDE), Kirsan Ilyumzhinov, has all chances to retain the post of president of the organization in the upcoming elections, said the head of the Russian state Vladimir Putin.

The Russian president briefly spoke with Ilyumzhinov on Friday, examining the projects of the listeners of the Sirius educational center, where chess is one of the areas of work. Ilyumzhinov heads the organization since 1995. Earlier, he stated that he would participate in the new presidential election of FIDE.

"You have all the chances, you have a lot of experience, you have the moral right to claim," he said.

Ilyumzhinov heads the organization since 1995. Earlier, he stated that he would participate in the new presidential election of FIDE, which will be held in 2018.
For what it's worth, probably not much but you never know.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.