Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Chris Rice

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:29 pm

Simon Williams and Jovanka make it on to CNN but they are disappointed that the only reason they did, according to the Ginger GM twitter feed, was once again because of a shocking and negative incident. This time Hou Yifan's final game in Gibraltar. https://twitter.com/cnn/status/829236055601774592

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:45 pm

Simon and Jovanka are spot on.

Personally I cannot see why the organisers should ever invite her again, and will be very surprised if the governing body do not recommend a substantial ban from playing chess. In my view undoing all the work from organisers and federations of promoting women's chess. Gone back at least 15 years and from a world chess champion.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:51 pm

Nick Grey wrote:Personally I ... will be very surprised if the governing body do not recommend a substantial ban from playing chess.
They won't recommend a ban. They won't recommend anything. If consulted on the subject, they will probably say it is a matter for the ECF and/or the Tradewise Gibraltar chess festival.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:53 pm

For something a bit more positive...

Vernon Kay on Monday morning (radio 5 live) gushing about the American Football Superbowl and length of time and extra time.

Comparing the Head Coaches and quarterbacks of chess mastery in all those breaks and in that overtime drive all the way up the pitch to the final touchdown. mentioning length of time in cricket and some other sports like odd tennis match.

"Like chess...this does not happen by chance, you cannot go marching up the pitch "willy-nilly". :lol:

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:02 pm

Ok Jack - so if they are not going to do something are you suggesting we (I) complain about cheating and undoing all the good work in trying to promote chess for women, female juniors?

For those of us watching it and then listening to a most feeble excuse - unbelievable - and took away a lot of the good news in the chess taking place at Gibraltar.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:02 pm

Nick Grey wrote:Simon and Jovanka are spot on.

Personally I cannot see why the organisers should ever invite her again, and will be very surprised if the governing body do not recommend a substantial ban from playing chess. In my view undoing all the work from organisers and federations of promoting women's chess. Gone back at least 15 years and from a world chess champion.
I think this is all a bit OTT, tbh.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:57 pm

I think she acted significantly OTT and contrary to rules/laws and lack of sportsmanship to the detriment of all chess players but particular women and young females players.

She is too young to sing or say je ne regrette rien, or regrets, I've had a few, but then again too few to mention.

Joshua Gibbs

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:03 pm

JustinHorton wrote:Not totally sure he was a "professional chess player" as claimed here.
he thought about turning pro according to this link
http://old.seattletimes.com/html/politi ... _ferg.html

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:04 pm

Nick Grey wrote:I think she acted significantly OTT and contrary to rules/laws and lack of sportsmanship to the detriment of all chess players but particular women and young females players.

She is too young to sing or say je ne regrette rien, or regrets, I've had a few, but then again too few to mention.
Sure she did something stupid, but I find it hard to believe it was for absolutely *no* reason.

(by all accounts, it is pretty out of character for her)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:52 am

Nick Grey wrote:I think she acted significantly OTT and contrary to rules/laws and lack of sportsmanship to the detriment of all chess players but particular women and young females players.
The amount of damage she has done to the cause of women's chess is nil.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Andrew Martin

Post by Andrew Martin » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:05 am

I am far more concerned about the disgraceful interpretation of Grob's Attack.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:36 am

Andrew Martin wrote:I am far more concerned about the disgraceful interpretation of Grob's Attack.
Ha!

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:50 pm

Don't ban her from next years tournament, simply ban all other female players from attending.

Cannot see how this piece of fun could ruin anyone's enjoyment of the tournament.

In years to come It will be what most only remember about the event. Reminds me of Erica Roe's infamous streak.
(Off the top of your head, when was it, where was it, who was playing and what was the score.) or more to the point,
the 1967 Sousse Interzonal where Fischer walked out whilst leading (again, off the top of your head...who won it?...be honest.)

Joshua Gibbs

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:29 pm

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:19 pm

Not really sure how this picture relates to the story.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connect/smal ... -scale-up/