Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Christopher Kreuzer

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:07 pm

Heh, this is fun.

Adam Raoof here:

http://johnupham.smugmug.com/search/?se ... am&x=0&y=0

Nigel Short here:

Michael Adams here:

You don't have any pics of me, John... :( (or of yourself, to be fair)

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:09 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:I do remember reading that Fischer once delivered a very angry look to some punter
who complained to him he had signed his autograph 'Robert' instead of 'Bobby'.

There again he did not object to his collection of 60 games being titled 'Bobby Fischer'.
I was remembering what RJF said in the famous/infamous Ginzburg interview, about his plans (after he became world champ) to start up a fancy new club called "the Bobby Fischer ... uh ... the Robert J Fischer Chess Club". He banged on a lot in that interview about "respect", long before it became a widespread catch-cry among today's disaffected youth. I got the distinct impression that being called Bobby showed, for him, a lack of it.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:20 am

I have often wondered whether the Allen Ginzburg interview was partially a fake. e.g. He says Bobby wanted to build himself a house in the shape of a chess piece. But in 'Auto da Fe' by Elias Cannetti ( which won the Nobel Prize for Literature) there is a character called Fischerle (little Fischer) who had the ambition to be World Champion, dress in nice suits (as did Bobby) and build himself such a house. So what? The book was written before Bobby was born (or possibly just before he played chess). Ginzburg may have known the book and had a little joke.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:22 am

You will find on youtube www.2014WYCC.co.za video material from the World YHouth Chess Championship here in Durban, including an interview with me.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:29 am

Stewart Reuben wrote: video material from the World YHouth Chess Championship here in Durban, including an interview with me.
That's four hours worth of coverage, you might want to indicate when you appear.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:43 am

I think it was a live link. It was yesterday around about 5.30pm their time, 4.30 British. I wasn't thinking people would be eager for my interview, but like to see some of it. I don't think anybody else British has been interviewed.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:57 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:. It was yesterday around about 5.30pm their time, 4.30 British.
Do you know what time the coverage started? It may coincide with the round times.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:50 am

The round started normally at 16.00 which was 15.00 British time. Monday the last round starts at 10am.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:33 am

Any postings on here represent my personal views

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:16 pm

Could somebody please record the Demis programme? I don't get home from Johannesburg until Saturday. The above hasn't said which BBC programme it is on. What's more it may not still be playing.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:02 am

8.30 pm BBC2 Tonight, Only Connect has a team of chess enthusiasts
9.00 pm BBC1 tonight, New Tricks has a visit to a chess club, in which Gerry (Denis Waterman) takes a great interest. I imagine this will be intended to supply comedic effect.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:13 pm

Sunday Times had a substantial article 'Elderly thrive on brain power boost'. Dame Mary Warnock is featured. She is 90 and her photo shows her at a chessboard. It wasn't possible to see whether the board was round the right way. Chess is not mentioned later in the article.
But crosswords and Soduku were. Of course both are even cheaper than chess, but they require only a very small part of the brain. Dr Jana Bellin has said we should be concentrating on chess as a means of delaying the onset of Alzheimer's.

David Lettington

Post by David Lettington » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:58 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote: You only remember Khalifman because of Kasparov's "tourist" jibe.
It was Akopian (along with Movsesian and Nisipeanu) that Kasparov referred to as a "chess tourist".

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:03 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:Dr Jana Bellin has said we should be concentrating on chess as a means of delaying the onset of Alzheimer's.
Do you have a quote of precisely what Dr Jana Bellin said in this regard?

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:56 pm

Sorry, no. It was a casual conversation. Do you want me to ask her to give a public statement that can be quoted?