Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Matt Mackenzie

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:22 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:Jonathan Bryant.
I have communicated with Dr Jana Bellin. She is willing to prepare a considered comment on the interesting matter of chess and seniors, people with Alzheimer's and so on.
But she is very busy and it will not be for 6-8 weeks.
Will be very interested to see her comments.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:00 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:Jonathan Bryant.
I have communicated with Dr Jana Bellin. She is willing to prepare a considered comment on the interesting matter of chess and seniors, people with Alzheimer's and so on.
But she is very busy and it will not be for 6-8 weeks.

Thank you Stewart. I’d certainly wait a month or two for a considered opinion than to read something tossed off in a couple of minutes by somebody who neither knows nor cares what they’re talking about.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:45 pm

Sunday Times Magazine 5 October. Section called Relative Values. Photographer David Bailey talking abut his relationship with his sons Fenton and Sascha.
'I'm not very good at kids, so when I did see the boys we didn't do much. But I did teach them to play chess which I learnt in the Air Force. Once you know chess, you don't need all that education b******s. Chess tells you everything you need to know about life. Fenton's really good now; both he and Sascha can beat me.'

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:45 pm

Mercifully no mention of chess this time, but THIS CASE seems to have edged its way forward. Doubtless more, much more, to come before we can put it behind us :)

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:53 pm

No direct mention of chess, but http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014 ... pen-letter comments on the more general issue of "brain games" and the reliability of claims made on their behalf.

AustinElliott

Post by AustinElliott » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:43 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:No direct mention of chess, but http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014 ... pen-letter comments on the more general issue of "brain games" and the reliability of claims made on their behalf.
Yes, I was going to post this link too. Speaking as a University biomedical scientist, my received view is that (in general) the evidence that 'cognitive puzzles' slow cognitive decline in ageing is fairly thin, though there have been some sporadically hopeful results. What I had also gathered from talking to my medical friends was that staying as physically active and fit as possible was probably likely to be more use. Still, I routinely tell my mother (just turned 77), both to stay physically active (walking and gardening...) and to keep doing the Sudoku and crosswords.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:02 pm

AustinElliott wrote:Still, I routinely tell my mother (just turned 77), both to stay physically active (walking and gardening...) and to keep doing the Sudoku and crosswords.
Excellent advice, of course.

But your mother lets you tell her what to do? Mine still asks me if I’ve had a wee whenever I’m leaving her house.

As for
AustinElliott wrote: Yes, I was going to post this link too. Speaking as a University biomedical scientist, my received view is that (in general) the evidence that 'cognitive puzzles' slow cognitive decline in ageing is fairly thin, though there have been some sporadically hopeful results ....
and now it applies to chess,

you will perhaps be aware that back in May Garry K tweeted,

(https://twitter.com/Kasparov63/status/4 ... 7845484544)
There are many studies showing positive effect of chess on delaying, improving dementia/Alzheimer's. Also good results with Down Syndrome.
A challenge on the day - and a recent twitter exchange with Mig - has yet to elicit what these 'studies' are supposed to be.

Allan Hodgkinson

Post by Allan Hodgkinson » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:25 am

Interesting results when searching Chess on the new BBC website which has all the back issues of Radio Times: genome.ch.bbc.co.uk

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:55 am

Allan Hodgkinson wrote:Interesting results when searching Chess on the new BBC website which has all the back issues of Radio Times: genome.ch.bbc.co.uk
Indeed. I noticed that and forgot to search for chess...

http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/search/0/20? ... tt=00%3A00

Lots of memory lane stuff there for people who were around back in the 1950s.

"BBC Home Service

3 May

Great Britain v. Norway
Black's twenty-seventh move
(Norway)
Close Down "

:lol:

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:59 am

Cripes.

CHESS
The Zonal Tournament in Madrid
A report by Jonathan Penrose and R. G. Wade
The Feminine Touch
Talk by Elaine Pritchard
Master r. Listeners
MASTER(White): Chennek Kottnauer LISTENERS (Black): Harry Golombek

Modern Masterpieces
Analyses of oustanding games played recently
1: Reshevsky-Pachman (Buenos Aires. 1960) discussed by C. H. O'D. Alexander
Busmen over the Board
.Anne Sunnucks interviews Tommy Baxter one of London Transport leading players
Master v. Listeners
MASTER (White) Chennek Kottnauer LISTENERS (Black) Harry Golombek
BLACK

And so on. More than 42 pages of results (I gave up looking at that point).

"How to Win at Chess"
BBC4 - 24 December 2009 2.10

Did anyone here see that one?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00p8lhp

(not currently available)

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:28 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote: And so on. More than 42 pages of results (I gave up looking at that point).
There are various consultation games, not least the well known one with Fischer and Barden. What I hadn't realised was that they got space in the Radio Times to print either or both of the moves so far or the FEN of the position. There's also consultation games between leading clubs, so there's Ilford and "Manchester" for example. The names of the participants are vaguely familiar as leading amateur players of the era.

Searching for "Master Game" brings up the entries you would expect. From the very first entry (on my search)
'New' series The Master Game
A Chess Tournament
Presented by Jeremy James
' It's funny - I was sure he didn't know this opening ... played it a little slowly ... but he's playing the right ones. Now he's undermining these two advanced centre pawns of mine! '
WILLIAM HARTSTON , reigning Master Game Champion, analysing an opening by his opponent, brilliant 11-year-old player NIGEL SHORT .
The very first Master Game appears to have been broadcast on 25th June 1975. The writer of the Radio Times promotion may have had one of Fischer's remarks in mind.
Psychic Murder Ego Crushing
Instincts of a Killer
Expressions used to describe the most mentally demanding game known to man. This is a unique opportunity to eavesdrop on a confrontation of two minds -one trying to dominate and, if necessary, crush the other, in the first ever knockout chess tournament specially devised for television.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:25 pm

British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:31 pm

Advertised in today's Time Out - Power and Principles from Moscow to Silicon Valley: An evening with Garry Kasparov and Ken Rogoff on 9 December in London.

which says:
Garry Kasparov is a world chess champion, an acclaimed speaker and author on decision-making and technology and a passionate advocate for human rights, especially in his native Russia. He will be interviewed by Harvard’s Ken Rogoff, former Chief Economist of the International Monetary Fund and himself a chess Grandmaster. Did chess prepare them for their later vocations?

Their conversation will follow Kasparov’s fascinating trajectory from a Soviet-bred chess champion to an outspoken critic of Vladimir Putin and an important thinker on human-machine collaboration and the principles of individual liberty.

Kasparov and Rogoff will delve into the true nature of Putin’s Russia and what it means for the UK, Europe, and the rest of the world. Does the free world have a moral or pragmatic obligation to stand up to the Russian strongman? What does the answer to this question mean for the European Union?

Many of Kasparov’s recent writings and lectures have centered on what he calls a value shift away from risk and exploration in the world’s richest nations in recent decades, especially the U.S. He and Rogoff discuss what it means for the world when leading institutions are too big to fail and China becomes the world’s largest economy.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:43 pm

I was surprised to see in El País just now:

Pablo Iglesias, from chess to the battleground of politics

which claims that the spokesperson of Podemos "likes to talk about Game of Thrones, chess and basketball".

First I've heard of it.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:09 pm

Stumbled across this mention of Yang-Fan Zhou:

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-imp ... n-chess-15