Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger de Coverly

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:53 pm

Nick Grey wrote:I was saddened to see the BBC report & read the web for the inquest into the death of Michael Uriely from chronic asthma.
The inquest is being widely reported,

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03 ... d-chronic/

amongst others

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:24 am

Dominic Lawson's column in the Sunday Times 19 March was headed
Chess master Sturgeon Attacks, but her pieces are in total disarray

The whole column is full of chess imagery including: But speaking with my own little mandate as the (elected) president of the English Chess Federation...

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:17 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:Dominic Lawson's column in the Sunday Times 19 March was headed
Chess master Sturgeon Attacks, but her pieces are in total disarray

The whole column is full of chess imagery including: But speaking with my own little mandate as the (elected) president of the English Chess Federation...
Another political commentator, Steve Richards, wrote: "Theresa May's main UK opponent is @NicolaSturgeon -and she is a formidable opponent. In their game of chess I predict Sturgeon will win."

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:44 pm

This idea that one size fits all is, as in Kevin's post, is, of course. deeply flawed. But about 31 years old to peak as a chessplayer does resonate.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:07 pm

I've heard it posited that many strong players have two "peaks" - the first in their mid-20s and the second around 40.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:14 pm

I suspect 31 was the peak for the golden generation everything else grade inflation. May be nice if someone can go with the analysis with ECF even on us that were on the lists 23 years ago - I'm 54.

Arithmetic sounds correct too - it amazes me that some of the younger generation at work cannot produce spreadsheets that balance to control totals.

Also I suspect in the right ballpark for salaries & even those in the public sector moving away from final salary pensions. So whilst I was expecting to retire at 62 the latest suggestion is now in my 70s.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:05 pm

Brian Kilcline in the Guardian:
When Kilcline signed for Swindon Town in 1994, he politely declined the Premier League club’s offer to put them up in a local hotel and instead decided to live on a canal. “Lynn must have looked at 50 narrow boats because the criteria was I had to be able to stand up in one,” Kilcline says, smiling. “We found one, a Liverpool boat, and it was moored on Osney Mill Marina, in Oxford. The lads knew about it. I remember having a game of chess against Andy Mutch on the boat once."
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:36 pm

Jonathan Arnott got well beaten in a chessboxing match. Rather dangerous to go into any kind of boxing match with no boxing experience.

Lib Dem activist knocks out UKIP MEP in ‘chessboxing’ grudge match

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:43 pm

JustinHorton wrote:Brian Kilcline in the Guardian:
When Kilcline signed for Swindon Town in 1994, he politely declined the Premier League club’s offer to put them up in a local hotel and instead decided to live on a canal. “Lynn must have looked at 50 narrow boats because the criteria was I had to be able to stand up in one,” Kilcline says, smiling. “We found one, a Liverpool boat, and it was moored on Osney Mill Marina, in Oxford. The lads knew about it. I remember having a game of chess against Andy Mutch on the boat once."
Now immortalised in a David Squires cartoon in the same newspaper.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:58 pm

Two media publications using chess analogies:

How Russia Became the Jihadists’ No. 1 Target - Monday’s bombing in St. Petersburg might be only the beginning of a new terrorist wave.
By Colin P. Clarke, April 03, 2017

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... get-214977
Colin P. Clarke wrote:Russia is a nation of master chess players, and its foreign policy typically looks two or three “moves ahead.” But its deepening involvement in the Middle East morass means that Moscow has now chosen sides in a sectarian conflict abroad—a strategy that could lead to tragedy at home.
ES Views: EU is cherry-picking on security and intelligence
3 April 2017

http://www.standard.co.uk/comment/lette ... 06171.html
Reader's letter regarding Brexit from a Simon Diggins wrote:We are heading for a spectacular checkmate, a “fool’s mate” in two moves. Evidently, there is no Boris Spassky in charge at No 10.
[I wonder if the tendency to use chess metaphors and analogies increased during wartime or other times of conflict (political and military)? Maybe someone will one day look at this in relation to past wars?]

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:08 pm

Hi Chris,

Regarding your last post and chess analogies increasing during wartime.

Years ago I was looking at a book of colourful plates on the insignia and patterns
adopted by WWI and WWII planes. Typically the British displayed a lack of imagination
in this field and it was the Germans who were the more creative.

I noticed a few Chess symbols and designs and wondered if a German chess player had
influenced his squadrons choice or it was just by chance. (Knights of the Air type type of thing.)

A few days ago whilst browsing through, 'The Year of the Sky Kings' by Arch Whitehouse.

When Bruno Loerzer was asked to form his own squadron (which included Hermann Goering)
they were so successful that Baron Von Richthofen told him to put some special squadron marking
on his planes so his could be identified as a unit other pilots could depend on.

Bruno asked his pilots for ideas and Walter Brume, "a chess player" suggested a chessboard for an insignia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Bl ... _designer)

This was adopted by the squadron and on page 175:

"From that day on, a signal went out along the British Lines:

'Watch out for those Huns flying chess-board Albatrosses!'"

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:39 pm

Thanks, Geoff. That is an interesting example. I was thinking more along the lines of the newspaper wartime reports, but reading those reports the way news was reported then seems so different to now. Some of it is the same, but a lot has changed.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:43 pm

Ian Kingston wrote:
JustinHorton wrote:Brian Kilcline in the Guardian:
Now immortalised in a David Squires cartoon in the same newspaper.
Though oddly David (who supports the Robins) locates the game in Swindon, whereas I was under the impression it must have taken place in Oxford.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:22 pm

I'm assuming that just allows him to draw the boat in the middle of a roundabout?
Any postings on here represent my personal views