Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
MartinCarpenter

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by MartinCarpenter » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:21 pm

Bridge at the top level? Suspect it'd be quite close to half from 30-50, half >50. Probably a few very strong 20 years old in there somewhere.

The junior competitions are U25 :) At the other end, Boris Schapiro won the main UK teams knock out event at the age of 88. Atypical to keep going quite that long but they basically don't seem to stop.

Not quite sure why bridge would want the Olympics mind. They've already got massive Olympiad style events which run for a few weeks and really wouldn't work in the setting of an Olympics.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:00 pm

Getting bridge or chess into the Olympic Games are for the same purposes. The prestige and exposure. Also in some countries it unlocks government support.
Both sports would have to devise a separate competition specifically suitable to the Olympic Games. The IOC wanted chess to cease using the term 'Chess Olympiad', but David Jarrett didn't agree. We had been using the term far too long. It isn't correct. Olympics means every four years.
We played in the World Mind Sports Games in Beijing in 2008. It was after the Olympic Games, but held in the same place. The games were rapdiplay or blitz. Bridge, Draughts, Go, Shogi and Chines Chess were also spread.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:55 pm

Today on TV, The Queens Tennis
Commentator, speaking about the Nadal Dogarpolov match
'Nice little game of chess there...

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:04 am

"Whenever I said 'I categorically rule myself out of running for office', it was because I didn't want to be a pawn in a chess game involving three of my friends."

Chris Evans on taking over Top Gear (BBC website)

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:16 pm

Interesting to see a couple of chess players in this report

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... -fund.html

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:18 am

Eastenders featured a chessgame last night between two shady characters. Needless to say the shadiest won. They played the game at blitz pace seemingly not studying the position and at the end the winner flicked his opponents king off the board.

Danny Baker has just been interviewing Dermot O'Leary on R5. He built Dermot up a chess champion only to be told Dermot played board 6 for his school team and lost all his games.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:56 pm

Mike Gunn wrote: He built Dermot up a chess champion only to be told Dermot played board 6 for his school team and lost all his games.
Well, at least that was honest :D
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:45 am

Lewis Martin

Post by Lewis Martin » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:45 am

Jonathan Bryant wrote:And here we go again ...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 35403.html

The Indy story lifted from here

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... chess.html

I suspect.
Once again, some inaccuracy of chess in the media. Seems that the general media are still poor at checking information to do with chess. It has a caption of Judit Polgar being the former Women's World Champion, when she never competed in it, never mind winning it (she most likely would have done). It does mention below about Susan Polgar having won it previously though.

Lewis Martin

Post by Lewis Martin » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:49 am

More relevant to the article, this is something that has gone on for too long. By 'this', I mean, the reporting of Short's comments.

Phil Neatherway

Post by Phil Neatherway » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:00 am

I went to the cinema yesterday to see the somewhat disappointing 'Mr Holmes'. However, I also saw a trailer for 'Pawn Sacrifice' (the film about Bobby Fischer) which will be on imminently. Sorry, I can't remember exactly when.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:07 am

Phil Neatherway wrote:However, I also saw a trailer for 'Pawn Sacrifice' (the film about Bobby Fischer) which will be on imminently.
Is that the one where they display clouds of chess moves? If his scoring is to go by, did Fischer think in descriptive? His extensive knowledge of Russian chess literature might suggest otherwise. The trailer seemed to be using an uneasy mixture, with moves typically displayed as N-B4 and B-F4. I assume they meant Nb4 and Bf4, but if they don't write it that way, it comes out confused, at least to the handful who would spot it.

Phil Neatherway

Post by Phil Neatherway » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:14 am

Yes, it is that one. I thought I saw P-N3 as well so there might even be a mixture of notations. Annoying for the chess player but not noticeable to everyone else.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:47 am

Any postings on here represent my personal views

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:18 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:And here we go again ...
I haven't yet seen the latest "New in Chess", but I rather suspect Nigel has returned to the previous topic.

If we look at the evidence of the top 100 rating list, it is very apparent that over 50s, with the possible exception of Nigel himself, cannot play chess to the required standard. So does the wiring deteriorate with age?