Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Ian Thompson

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat May 13, 2017 9:56 am

Geoff Chandler wrote:Just looked at it briefly (at work). One of the opening statements when some guy was talking the media.

"It was probably the most serious coverage for a chess match ever."

Sounds like he was not there in 1972.
"Some guy" was Joel Benjamin so I think we can be pretty sure he is familiar with 1972. As an 8 year old, maybe that's what sparked his interest in chess.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat May 20, 2017 2:49 am

Michael John Basman

Is standing as an Independent for Parliament in the forthcoming General Election.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sat May 20, 2017 5:20 am

Wow but not in my constituency and up against the Lib Dem heavyweight Edward Davey.
Was hoping that the conservatives get in but now some real choice with also a monster raving looney candidate.
Wishing that Mike does not lose too much money on this venture.

Having a Kingston postcode, my constituency is Richmond Park so means Zac Goldsmith may get back in.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat May 20, 2017 8:26 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:Michael John Basman

Is standing as an Independent for Parliament in the forthcoming General Election.
http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php ... 15#p199934

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Sun May 21, 2017 5:24 pm

Demis Hassabis was on Desert Island Discs today. Well worth a listen.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri May 26, 2017 9:41 pm

'Deep thinking: Where machine intelligence ends and Human Creativity Begins' by Garry Kasparov to be published 1 June.
Bryan Appleyard in The Sunday Times Magazine last Sunday had an in-depth interview with Garry.
Quoting Garry about Putin, 'dictators do not play chess. Dictators cannot afford strategy, Putin cannot think long-term. Dictators think about today and tomorrow mrning.'

There is nothing particularly new in the article. But it is worth reading.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri May 26, 2017 10:01 pm

Garry wrote: Putin cannot think long-term.
He seems to have out-thought Gazza.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri May 26, 2017 10:12 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:'
Bryan Appleyard in The Sunday Times Magazine last Sunday had an in-depth interview with Garry.
Did it involve asking him any difficult questions?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon May 29, 2017 3:34 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/38395763

Mick Gooding
Ex-Reading player/manager on BBC Radio Berkshire
"It's a chess match at the moment, and you feel that David Wagner has got a few of Jaap Stam's pieces in his pocket. They should be 2-0 up."

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Mon May 29, 2017 4:26 pm

This is a game of chess between David Wagner and Jaap Stam. Radio 5 live - 2nd half.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Mon May 29, 2017 8:06 pm

Gary Kasparov on the Today (BBC Radio 4) programme this morning on the subject of artificial intelligence. Made the sensible distinction between activities where humans know how humans perform them, which are therefore activities where humans can probably program computers to do them even better, and activities where humans have yet to figure out how they manage to do what they do and consequently can't program computers to carry them out. That doubtless won't come as news to the well-informed contributors here but struck me as a good point to make over to a possibly less well-informed audience over national radio.

Peter Shaw

Post by Peter Shaw » Tue May 30, 2017 11:51 am

Kasparov is going to be on the Jeremy Vine show on Radio 2 from about 12:30pm in the 'What makes us Human?' slot.

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Wed May 31, 2017 10:30 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Garry wrote: Putin cannot think long-term.
He seems to have out-thought Gazza.
Not hard to do when you're the equivalent of several queens up.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Wed May 31, 2017 10:35 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:Gary Kasparov on the Today (BBC Radio 4) programme this morning on the subject of artificial intelligence. Made the sensible distinction between activities where humans know how humans perform them, which are therefore activities where humans can probably program computers to do them even better, and activities where humans have yet to figure out how they manage to do what they do and consequently can't program computers to carry them out. That doubtless won't come as news to the well-informed contributors here but struck me as a good point to make over to a possibly less well-informed audience over national radio.
I remember a similar sort of point being made nearly sixty years ago, in a children's SF book called Danny Dunn And The Homework Machine. The title character wanted a machine to do his homework for him, but found that to build it he had to figure out how to do the homework anyway ...
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:49 am

"In a game of chess I have to make several good moves. Here, I have only one" Pia Cramling in a new commercial for Samsung TV.